NEW DS - DPF concerns

All Discovery Sport related discussions
AndyN17

NEW DS - DPF concerns

Post by AndyN17 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:59 am

Hi. 2nd disco sport purchased. 1st one traded in as daily M25 mileage and fuel costs were killing me. New job and no commute so back into a DS HSE LUX 68 plate.

DPF light appeared on test drive and corrected at dealer. Little did I know.

DPF light appeared on day 2 and was off road 10 days for new EGR valve.

Light continually on again. 2 visits for driveway by LR tech (embarrassed in front of neighbours !). LR tech guy questioning my driving and use. Only done 1000 miles in 3 months.

How ridiculous that you may have to choose a car not suited to short hops to Tesco or train station ?

My wife is very annoyed about the situation given the cost of the car and wants to me to take this much further than I am currently. Car is booked into dealer next Monday and they say it is ok to drive !

Not a great 2nd DS experience so far. Any suggestions ?
2.0 D Auto HSE Luxury 2018plate (Ingenium). Santorini Black Metallic, Ebony trim, Privacy Glass, Roof-rails and detachable Tow bar.

SarahStreet

Re: NEW DS - DPF concerns

Post by SarahStreet » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 am

One might wonder, given that you no longer have a daily commute, why you felt the need for a Diesel engined vehicle in the first place?

You would be better off taking it back and exchanging it for its petrol equivalent given your circumstances detailed in your post.

AndyN17

Post by AndyN17 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:32 am

Thank you and I now have this under consideration. Petrol vs diesel model availability though is heavily biased towards diesel vehicles. I also had a BMW diesel between DS’s with no issues at all.
2.0 D Auto HSE Luxury 2018plate (Ingenium). Santorini Black Metallic, Ebony trim, Privacy Glass, Roof-rails and detachable Tow bar.

Disco1st

Post by Disco1st » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:41 pm

hi Andy there's plenty to read on this subject regarding dpf issues. I also do a lot of short journeys with the odd long run out not yet seen dpf light on. out of concern bought odb to monitor dpf and get information as to when car will actively regen dpf, mine seems around 180miles
disco sport, d180, My68 corris grey hse

AndyN17

Post by AndyN17 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks. ODB ?

tseug

Post by tseug » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 pm

OBD - On Board Diagnostics

Various devices can be used to see what the cars brains are up to...these range from simple £5 plug in adapters and free software through the professional GAP Diagnostics type kit to the stuff that JLR use in their service centres.

There are a couple of threads on here with quite a bit of info about the cheaper options.

Does seem an odd choice of engine given your worry about DPF longevity and the type of journey you say you now do - though I understand that other things may outweigh those things when looking for the vehicle you 'want' ;)
MY2018, D240, HSE Dynamic, Indus Silver, ICTP S20A_20.66.5-, Map 08.030.0107.0158

Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:58 am

SarahStreet wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 am
One might wonder, given that you no longer have a daily commute, why you felt the need for a Diesel engined vehicle in the first place?

You would be better off taking it back and exchanging it for its petrol equivalent given your circumstances detailed in your post.
As the OP said, this is pretty difficult, unless you buy new - when I was looking, I was completely open to my spec, other than petrol and adaptive suspension, and there wasn't one f any age and mileage in the country.
I suppose you either spend more or buy a different car!
240 petrol HSE Luxury 2019MY Adaptive Dynamics

Disco1st

Post by Disco1st » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:18 am

Jimexpl wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:58 am
SarahStreet wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:40 am

As the OP said, this is pretty difficult, unless you buy new - when I was looking, I was completely open to my spec, other than petrol and adaptive suspension, and there wasn't one f any age and mileage in the country.
I suppose you either spend more or buy a different car!
when I went to dealers for a test drive and a viewing to purchase used ds, with my 4yr old petrol car only having done 18000 miles from new it was said and quite obvious I don't do much mileage, (no I don't just wanted more power). love the car I came home with 180hse with 9000 miles on, was just told to give it a run out every couple of weeks and it'll be fine. 5mths on 1500miles done no issues apart from start stop stopped working after a week,
disco sport, d180, My68 corris grey hse

AndyN17

Post by AndyN17 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Update is new DPF fitted in March at local dealer. Lihue straight back in 24 hours later. Then lockdown took over and dealers closed. Light is still on and not much mileage being done. Hoping for a vehicle exchange discussion.

madfonzy

Post by madfonzy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm

I’ve got the same spec as you but a 2017 spec. The only way surefire way to tell when a regen is needed is to get an OBD sensor and display.

I do a lot of city short drives and it does a regen every 250km. I had a new DPF filter replaced in January and that when I got the OBD. I haven’t missed a regen since. Apart from the annoyance of having to go for along drive when the regen trigger hits 100% the car is great.

Note too that randomly going for long drives every now and aim does not really help unless you know where the regen trigger is.