Discovery Sport Forum banner

2020 model

13K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Andy131 
#1 ·
Just taken delivery of my new car. Having swapped from 2016 there is a much improved build quality. Very quiet, no lag getting off the line. The infotainment system is also much improved. This is how the first models should have rolled off the production line. Hope this continues.

#4 ·
That explains the lack of lag. I understand mild hybrid system provides some umph when pulling away (105nm I think )

Might take one for a drive.

Enjoy

Cheers

#6 ·
I wonder if new model is good enough to persuade some past owners who moved away from Landrover, to try it again!!

#8 ·
I totally agree on the quietness. When I drove the diesel demonstrator I was very impressed with how quiet it was, and yes the surge/lag of previous models was gone. It was a good sign that the petrol would be even quieter, which it is.

The interior and tech are superb now, and the seats are much comfier than the 2015 HSE I had previously, though they were comfortable anyway.

Very impressed to date.

G
#9 ·
PedroT said:
I wonder if new model is good enough to persuade some past owners who moved away from Landrover, to try it again!!
I may try it again along side others when the time comes to change. If only LR and it's dealers could start to become more customer focussed in the after sales arena that would also help persuade me more.

The dealers really do need to learn from Lexus dealers, almost 2 years in and I don't have any complaints although it may help that the car also has had no reason to go to the dealer other than for routing servicing. The fact that they call me every few months just to ask if everything is ok and stress not to wait if I find anything I'm unhappy with, plus being able to book in for a service within a week and have a courtesy car available gives a certain level of confidence. Communication is everything and this was ok when my local dealer was a family run business. However the takeover by Marshall's really dragged the experience of owning a LR right down to the bottom.

#11 ·
PaulCP said:
PedroT said:
I may try it again along side others when the time comes to change. If only LR and it's dealers could start to become more customer focussed in the after sales arena that would also help persuade me more.

The dealers really do need to learn from Lexus dealers, almost 2 years in and I don't have any complaints although it may help that the car also has had no reason to go to the dealer other than for routing servicing. The fact that they call me every few months just to ask if everything is ok and stress not to wait if I find anything I'm unhappy with, plus being able to book in for a service within a week and have a courtesy car available gives a certain level of confidence. Communication is everything and this was ok when my local dealer was a family run business. However the takeover by Marshall's really dragged the experience of owning a LR right down to the bottom.
Had a jag a couple of years back and the service was so horrible I had to go to an independent garage who will purchase parts from LR and service my car. Apparently the mechanics were former employees of an Authorised distributor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and completely agree it is more refined, and with a better build quality in every way. It is definitely the car the original should have been (particularly the size of the fuel tank!). Very happy so far.

#13 ·
Do they all have the bigger fuel tank? On the new Evoque you have to specify larger tank ("recommended"). I think this must be because the vehicles are tested with a full tank, so the "standard" test vehicle with small tank weighs less!
Edit - that said, I've just checked TOPIx and fuel tank size isn't mentioned. Strange!

#15 ·
The larger (a return to a normal size!) tank is standard. The DEF/Adblu filling port is now next to the Diesel cap rather than under the bonnet.
You can also delete the two third row seats On all models now. I don't think that was the case before, I may be wrong on that.
In terms of longer term reliability only time will tell, but first impressions (after a couple of weeks) are that they've resolved a number of the frustrations with the original model.

#16 ·
Hi all,

I would appreciate a more detailed write-up for those upgrading to my20. I am also considering the upgrade from HSE diesel my16 but find it very hard to summarise the improvements since all reviews are against my19 only. Outside the larger tank, improved soft touches and head unit, what else have you noticed?

Going to book in extended test drive but always curious on other impressions I might miss

#18 ·
I have just taken the plunge and swapped my17 ds sport HSE for the new 2020. omg what a difference, had it 2 days and what a great improvement over the 17. Was going to post some photos but its full of mud and by the time i decided it to go home it was to dark for pics. I just want to touch on what PaulCP said about the dealers, I have nothing but praise for Farnell both Bury (now Bolton) and Nelson. They have been great with me not all the dealer's are the same. anyway back to the new car I Love it.

#19 ·
maubead said:
Hi all,

I would appreciate a more detailed write-up for those upgrading to my20. I am also considering the upgrade from HSE diesel my16 but find it very hard to summarise the improvements since all reviews are against my19 only. Outside the larger tank, improved soft touches and head unit, what else have you noticed?

Going to book in extended test drive but always curious on other impressions I might miss
From the outside little changes apart from the lights and the ad blue filler although look underneath and the floor pan is completely different and the suspension is redesigned and gives better road holding. Interior much better quality, much much much quieter no squeaks from the seats. Seats are better comfort and quality. Engine and gearbox performance is much much smoother no lack of power getting off the line. Prob the MHEV and gearbox tweaks. the infotainment and digital dash is much improved. All in all these small improvements in all areas make a big difference overall.

#21 ·
Got to agree with ott, much improved all round, had mine just over a month and very impressed with all. Much quieter and improved comfort, Bought 5 Landrovers from Farnall Nelson (previously Hillandale ) great service looked elsewhere for last purchase but decided to stay with Farnall.

#22 ·
Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade (or any other expression the comes to mind), I'm sure the MY20 is a huge improvement over MY15/16/17 etc. But there's been a continuous improvement plan in place at LR and the MY19 was similarly a huge difference from my MY16.

I guess we can only tell if there's a huge step from MY19 to MY20 if someone takes that (expensive) step up!

#23 ·
Yes there was a continuous improvement of the old model, but bear in mind that this is effectively an all-new car. The floorpan is completely new, and the body must have been revamped to fit that. OK the engine is the same, but we all (on this forum) know the likely problems by now, and would presumably not buy one if it doesn't fit our, hem hem, "driving style".
I liked my DS very much, but my new model Evoque is a step up from that, and a massive improvement on the old Evoque, so I'd expect the new DS also to be much improved as well.

#24 ·
Past master said:
Yes there was a continuous improvement of the old model, but bear in mind that this is effectively an all-new car. The floorpan is completely new, and the body must have been revamped to fit that. OK the engine is the same, but we all (on this forum) know the likely problems by now, and would presumably not buy one if it doesn't fit our, hem hem, "driving style".
I liked my DS very much, but my new model Evoque is a step up from that, and a massive improvement on the old Evoque, so I'd expect the new DS also to be much improved as well.
Have to agree, I didn't like the original Evoque and the DS was better all round. I drove several of the NEW Evoques whilst waiting for the revised DS to come out, and was seriously impressed. It felt bigger and more practical as the new layout and packaging transformed it. I would have bought one if the expected DS didn't live up to expectations, as I could live with the new Evoque. However, the DS exceeded my expectations, so I naturally had to have one.

#25 ·
Planning to replace my 2017 Sport HSE lux with a new 2020 D240HSE. The local dealers quote included £149 for initial fuel and AdBlue fill. My previous three purchases from the same dealership came with a half tank of fuel and no charge for the Adblue. Has charging for the first fill of Adblue become common practice?

#26 ·
aislabyjim said:
Planning to replace my 2017 Sport HSE lux with a new 2020 D240HSE. The local dealers quote included £149 for initial fuel and AdBlue fill. My previous three purchases from the same dealership came with a half tank of fuel and no charge for the Adblue. Has charging for the first fill of Adblue become common practice?
I've never paid for first tank ever , part of my final bargaining after cost and options agreement is the statement.
" ok I think we have a deal , but I expect a full tank of fuel in it if I order today."
Never failed yet on that one.

Mind you I've never seen a charge for it mentioned before either ....bit of a cheek !
Add blue should be full from the dealer

Ask him if he'll pump the tyres up or will that be extra too 😂😂

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.