Looking to buy 2016 DS - Crazy??

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Ebeneezer_Goode

Looking to buy 2016 DS - Crazy??

Post by Ebeneezer_Goode » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am

Looking to buy from Approved LR Used, a diesel 2016 DS Tech 2.0 (Manual).

I'm reading lots of stories about oil dilution and have to be honest it's really putting me off having driven an XC90 D5 for 130k miles from new without any problems at all.

What should I be looking out for here? Any specific information to source from dealer before any purchase?

Should I be looking somewhere else than JLR!

Thanks for any information.

Dashnine

Re: Looking to buy 2016 DS - Crazy??

Post by Dashnine » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

I’m on my second DS so the first can't have been that bad! First was a MY16 diesel, but now running a petrol DS as diesel isn't really appropriate for me, plus the oil changes needed annually that I'd have to pay for on a new DS.

As it's a diesel you're going for make sure that the car has updates to tell you when it needs an oil change, or use the InControl app which will tell you if the car doesn’t. You will get free oil changes as it’s a MY16 car, you could get the dealer to confirm this as you’re buying from LR. Also watch the DPF regen effect on mpg (knocks it down a few mpg per tank) and don't buy diesel if you're a town dweller and don't regularly get out on the open road (that last point goes for any new Euro6 diesel, not just the DS).
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

EYR

Post by EYR » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 am

I assume your XC90 D5 engine required an oil change every 12500 miles, so forget the 21000 miles promised by LR and carry on as you are now. If you can accept the much lower figure than promised then there's not much to fault the car in comparison with others.
AdBlue range will be quite acceptable on a MY16 car also.
Santorini black DS 180 MY17 Auto, Xenons, Electric deployable towball, Rear camera and new non rattly tailgate struts.

Robsters

Post by Robsters » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 pm

You have made the right move by asking the question, I didn’t and went in blind only to find out afterwards, my fault of course. I don’t want to sway you either way, maybe petrol as it does not have some of the issues, the free oil changes are only while under warranty oh and take out the extended warranty if not already offered. I had an XC90 and will be going back to one once my dealings with LR are over. Good luck with your choice and keep an open mind 👍
First time LR owner, I have joined more forums than I care to remember over the years from Volvo, VW, Mazda, Peugeot, Ford, Vauxhall, Fiat and probably others!!
Bye bye Volvo XC90 hello Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 d HSE 2016

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am
As it's a diesel you're going for make sure that the car has updates to tell you when it needs an oil change, or use the InControl app which will tell you if the car doesn’t. You will get free oil changes as it’s a MY16 car, you could get the dealer to confirm this as you’re buying from LR. Also watch the DPF regen effect on mpg (knocks it down a few mpg per tank) and don't buy diesel if you're a town dweller and don't regularly get out on the open road (that last point goes for any new Euro6 diesel, not just the DS).
The vehicle software will shortly be modified (if not already done) to ask for an oil service when diesel dilution caused by DPF cleaning reaches 10%. But this is too high, according to JLR's own engineers. (Yes, you read that correctly). Free oil changes are provided until the warranty expires at 3 years since first registration. PM PM for details of where to find the sources for this important information. First though, before buying a diesel, have a thorough look at this document, JLRP00100.
download/file.php?id=5997
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

PhilMabbots17 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm
Dashnine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am
The vehicle software will shortly be modified (if not already done) to ask for an oil service when diesel dilution caused by DPF cleaning reaches 10%. But this is too high, according to JLR's own engineers. (Yes, you read that correctly). Free oil changes are provided until the warranty expires at 3 years since first registration. PM PM for details of where to find the sources for this important information. First though, before buying a diesel, have a thorough look at this document, JLRP00100.
Or 5 years if a service pack was bought when it was new. Oil changes aren’t warranty (there’s ‘nothing wrong’ with the car remember), they’re ‘good-will’ or other non-admittance of wrongdoing phrase.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:38 pm

If it’s Scotia grey and reg starts with OE it could be my old b pillar ticker 😳
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

snoopyhaynes

Post by snoopyhaynes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:38 pm

I'd be interested in knowing what you are paying as i'm looking at swapping my MY16 2.0D for something petrol powered. As for reliability, there have been some issues: more oil changes than expected, media system and electrical faults - luckily no b pillar rattle though. If you want specifics PM me.
Discovery Sport SE Tech Coris Grey, Aeroviper wheels, ebony leather, roof rails

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm
PhilMabbots17 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm
Or 5 years if a service pack was bought when it was new. Oil changes aren’t warranty (there’s ‘nothing wrong’ with the car remember), they’re ‘good-will’ or other non-admittance of wrongdoing phrase.
From what I can see, the attachment below was the latest communication on the subject from JLR-CRC. Previously to this post they had referred to the oil changes as being provided under goodwill "for the duration of the warranty" and before that, also as goodwill, but the termination point was vague. Going back still further there was a period where some people apparently bought 5 year plans that came with up to four additional back-up oil services which would be needed because of the higher than expected oil dilution. Ordinary 5 year plans (2 services plus AdBlue top-ups for 5 years) never comprehended the requirement for additional oil services and JLR has never agreed in writing to run the free oil change program out to 5 years, although this rumour was repeated in various places. In any case, partly as a result of the confusion regarding this issue, all service plans were recently been pulled from the menu and existing ones are not transferable due to the ongoing dispute over who should pay for the additional oil services. Of course, 40% fewer additional oil services will be needed in the future due to JLR's decision to increase the maximum oil dilution to 10%, taking pressure off JLR's finances and putting it on the vehicles.
CRC@LandRover wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:17 am

Hi pistonbroker

Thank you for your post.

Please find below the current position of JLR on this matter:

Should the Service light illuminate prior to a service being due, we advise that your vehicle would need to be booked in with your local approved retailer.

Our approved retailers will test the vehicle and should the cause of the concern be the oil dilution on your vehicle the retailer will arrange for this to be covered under the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty. This is to ensure that the costs would not be passed onto our customers.

Any service plans that have been taken out will remain unaffected and you will still benefit from the services details in your plan. Should the oil require replacement prior or after a service has been completed, this will not include a full service completed and therefore will once again not affect your plan.

I hope this answers your concern, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me

Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

Past master

Post by Past master » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 pm

I would ask the dealer how many oil changes the car has had - interim oil changes won't be on OSH but they should have a record somewhere. If it's less than every 12000 miles walk away. I assume they are desperate to sell you the car - my dealer is increasingly frantic in their attempts to sell new cars ad ex-demos - so I would try to get them to agree to free oil changes if required between services, at least for the two year warranty period. I can't see a problem if the oil changes so far have been done as required. My car is three years old and 45000 miles and I've made the decision to keep it for at least another year as I like it so much. It's had two services and two interim oil changes. You might also want to check if the warranty they are offering includes DPF faults - I had to have mine changed at around 37000 miles - and make sure it includes LR Assist, as their technicians are great and they can get you instant dealer help if something does go wrong.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”