Farewell Discovery Sport, hello Evoque!

All Discovery Sport related discussions
nick19

Farewell Discovery Sport, hello Evoque!

Post by nick19 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm

After three years of happy motoring, we’re moving on from the Discovery Sport to an RR Evoque, so thought it was worth summing up our experience.

Have no real complaints about the Discovery Sport, pleased we went with the petrol engine and avoided any DPF issues. Over 27k miles, petrol consumption has averaged around 29 mpg which was in line with my expectations so no complaints there. The infotainment system was the only real let down, as given we stuck with the 8” screen, no update to Apple CarPlay were possible. I knew it wasn’t great when I purchased the vehicle, and that proved to be the case living with it day in day out.

One of the surround cameras was replaced after 12 months under warranty but other than that it’s been trouble free motoring. I’ve recently had to replace the rear discs due to corrosion and am still in discussion with JLR over why this isn’t covered under warranty so we’ll see where that ends up.

The car has served us well, great for holidays and trips away. A Hatchbag boot liner was a great purchase and has the kept the boot pristine despite a muddy Labrador in and out of it every day.

As to dealers, we moved house shortly after purchasing the Discovery Sport, so the vehicle has been serviced by our now local dealer, not the supplying dealer. Overall, I’d say they’ve been decidedly average but again that came as no surprise. The Evoque is coming from another dealer a little further away in the hope that we may find one of the better LR dealers out there.

Who knows I may be back in a PHEV Discovery Sport in the future if we decide we want the extra space over the Evoque.

Finally, thanks to everyone here, the forum was especially useful when deciding whether to buy a Discovery Sport three years ago and whilst I haven’t posted much, I’ve continued to browse and will continue do so in the future.
MY18 DS HSE 240 Petrol Silicon Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Driver Assist Tech Pack, Spare Wheel, Service Pack.
Order placed 26/09/2017. Collected 15/12/2017.

Wensleydale

Re: Farewell Discovery Sport, hello Evoque!

Post by Wensleydale » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Enjoy the new motor. Would be interested to find how you find the boot on the Evoque compared to the DS.

RafflesNH

Post by RafflesNH » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm

nick19 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm
8<
A Hatchbag boot liner was a great purchase and has the kept the boot pristine despite a muddy Labrador in and out of it every day.
8<
:shock:
Never heard of those. Got a LR part number?
Former car 2009MY BMW E91 330i Touring. Currently awaiting delivery of a new 2021MY Discovery Sport HSE in Silicon Silver/Acorn.

nick19

Post by nick19 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:33 pm

RafflesNH wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:10 pm
nick19 wrote:
8<
A Hatchbag boot liner was a great purchase and has the kept the boot pristine despite a muddy Labrador in and out of it every day.
8<
:shock:
Never heard of those. Got a LR part number?
It's not a JLR part, it's from The Hatchbag Company, much cheaper and a better fit in my opinion than the JLR option - https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/land-rover-d ... 15-onwards.
MY18 DS HSE 240 Petrol Silicon Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Driver Assist Tech Pack, Spare Wheel, Service Pack.

RafflesNH

Post by RafflesNH » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:22 pm

nick19 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:33 pm

It's not a JLR part, it's from The Hatchbag Company, much cheaper and a better fit in my opinion than the JLR option - https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/land-rover-d ... 15-onwards.

Looks very interesting. Many thanks for the heads-up.
Nigel
Former car 2009MY BMW E91 330i Touring. Currently awaiting delivery of a new 2021MY Discovery Sport HSE in Silicon Silver/Acorn.

PYT

Post by PYT » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:36 am

I have done the opposite 4 years ago : going from an Evoque to Discovery Sport to gain boot space...

xxtrail

Post by xxtrail » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 pm

nick19 wrote:
After three years of happy motoring, we’re moving on from the Discovery Sport to an RR Evoque, so thought it was worth summing up our experience.
If you don't want/need the extra practicality/space, you won't be disappointed with the new Evoque.

I'm now on my second DS as I loved my first one, however, I found that the Mk1 Evoque was too cramped and compromised such that it was never an option.

The Mk2 Evoque, though visually very similar, is a very different car in terms of improved practicality and effective use of space. It feels much bigger and was very appealing when considering replacing my 2015 DS, so much so, that I could readily have purchased one.

I decided to wait and see what the 2020 DS revisions would amount to, as it was billed as a mild facelift. The reality was a massive improvement to layout and quality and became my choice. If it hadn't appealed so much, I would have readily ordered a P250 HSE Evoque. Both cars are fine choices.
Sept2019: HSE P250, Fuji, Acorn + many options .
Previous:
2015 HSE 2.2 SD4 Auto, Fuji, Almond.
2008 Freelander 2 GS 2.2 TD4 Auto, Santorini Black.
2004 Nissan Xtrail 2.2 DCi Sport, Black.
1998 Freelander 1 2.0 XEDi, Black.

nick19

Post by nick19 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 pm

xxtrail wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:29 pm
nick19 wrote:
If you don't want/need the extra practicality/space, you won't be disappointed with the new Evoque.

I'm now on my second DS as I loved my first one, however, I found that the Mk1 Evoque was too cramped and compromised such that it was never an option.

The Mk2 Evoque, though visually very similar, is a very different car in terms of improved practicality and effective use of space. It feels much bigger and was very appealing when considering replacing my 2015 DS, so much so, that I could readily have purchased one.

I decided to wait and see what the 2020 DS revisions would amount to, as it was billed as a mild facelift. The reality was a massive improvement to layout and quality and became my choice. If it hadn't appealed so much, I would have readily ordered a P250 HSE Evoque. Both cars are fine choices.
We're hoping we don't miss the extra space, but as you say, the Mk 2 Evoque does feel roomier and that clinched it for us.