Reasons for extremely bad Fuel consumption

All Discovery Sport related discussions
stam

Reasons for extremely bad Fuel consumption

Post by stam » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi, I recently purchased a pre-owned 2016 Disco sport 2L petrol version.

I have read many onlines review on the FC being from 25-30mpg. but i am only getting around 15mpg.

I drove fully on eco mode and most of my trips are 95-98% on the eco readings.

I notice my instant fuel consumption are quite high during moving off, may i know what's you guys's average?

Anyone know of any reasons for this?

Bomber209

Re: Reasons for extremely bad Fuel consumption

Post by Bomber209 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm

stam Hi,
Fuel consumption will show high when setting off from rest, as you would be in a low gear and have high RPM. I'd check the air filter first, if it's blocked you would get a high fuel/air mix (running rich). Also check the brakes are releasing correctly, by checking if the wheel is getting hot. ECO isn't economic unless your motorway driving, as it takes a lot longer to reach required speed.
Ex: Srs 2A & 3, RR Classic & Vogue, Defender 90, Disco 300Tdi, FreeLander 1.
Now: Disco Sport SE Tech. Auto :D :D

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue May 14, 2019 6:14 pm

stam wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

I have read many onlines review on the FC being from 25-30mpg. but i am only getting around 15mpg.

I notice my instant fuel consumption are quite high during moving off, may i know what's you guys's average?

If you’re doing lots of short journeys that will impact on consumption as it takes a while to warm up I find, even though the petrols better than the diesel in this regard.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm

stam wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Not sure where you are posting from as not to many petrol/gas models in the UK.

But I have the same model as you and on the highway I get over 30 mpg (british) or around 9L/100k in Canada. In the city doing short trips around 18 mpg or 16L/100k and that is with extremely short trips and a cold engine. Naturally if you are from the US the mpg would be lower.

I found that I got worse economy using the ECO mode in the city and got much better using sport mode. Most 4wd/awd vehicles start off in front wheel only and go to awd if there is slip, the Discovery starts in awd mode (check your 4 X4 screen) and uses more fuel. So use sport mode and try to get up to speed a little faster and then see if it makes a difference for you. How you get 98% on the eco screen is truly a wonder. :o

Gas / petrol engines with fuel injection will give the same economy with a dirty filter but lose power, but a clean filter is always a good thing if you notice power lose.

Not sure if you get your reading by calculating fuel economy or using the computer read out?? The computer is very optimistic in the petrol model
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”