Looking to buy 2016 DS - Crazy??

All Discovery Sport related discussions
Dashnine

Re: Looking to buy 2016 DS - Crazy??

Post by Dashnine » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Past master wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:12 pm
I would ask the dealer how many oil changes the car has had - interim oil changes won't be on OSH but they should have a record somewhere. If it's less than every 12000 miles walk away. I assume they are desperate to sell you the car - my dealer is increasingly frantic in their attempts to sell new cars ad ex-demos - so I would try to get them to agree to free oil changes if required between services, at least for the two year warranty period. I can't see a problem if the oil changes so far have been done as required. My car is three years old and 45000 miles and I've made the decision to keep it for at least another year as I like it so much. It's had two services and two interim oil changes. You might also want to check if the warranty they are offering includes DPF faults - I had to have mine changed at around 37000 miles - and make sure it includes LR Assist, as their technicians are great and they can get you instant dealer help if something does go wrong.
Don’t you mean ‘more than 12,000 miles’, the average being around 8,000 miles before an oil change is needed?

Mind you, with all this debate, speculation and off-putting he’ll never be back now, which is the result some appear to be looking for.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Past master

Post by Past master » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm

No, I meant less than - ie if it hasn't had an oil change at least every 12000 miles walk away. Mine has been doing 10-12000 between oil changes and adblue fills and seems happy so far (45000 miles).
Yes my original does look a bit ambiguous, sorry.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Mind you, with all this debate, speculation and off-putting he’ll never be back now, which is the result some appear to be looking for.
Speaking as someone who originally joined the forum looking for the same type of information I don't see much "speculation" here. I think what's been said is all pretty factual based on what I found out for myself. If the truth about the diesels puts people off buying one that's just hard luck for JLR. But probably nothing less than they deserve.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm
Dashnine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:46 pm
Speaking as someone who originally joined the forum looking for the same type of information I don't see much "speculation" here. I think what's been said is all pretty factual based on what I found out for myself. If the truth about the diesels puts people off buying one that's just hard luck for JLR. But probably nothing less than they deserve.
Until you get a statement from JLR confirming everything, then it is just joining the dots, or speculation. I’m in agreement with most of it, the design cock up etc., but I find the ECU theory a bit far fetched and full of conspiracy theory. Time may tell otherwise, in which case I’ll eat my SCRF.

As long as you accept annual or more frequent (depending on your mileage) oil changes as per most other cars, the DS diesel is a great car. The history of a used car is an issue but given oil changes will be LR dealer based, that should be traceable.

If my annual mileage hadn’t dropped and amid fears for diesel in the future I’d have bought another, instead I chose petrol (and what a car that is - worth every penny of the few extra pounds of fuel but that’s another story).
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Zygote

Post by Zygote » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm

I’m a few weeks in to my MY16 HSE Lux 180 and I flippin’ love it! Lovely to drive and looks great. I haven’t experienced the issues some have reported about the auto box being a bit all-or-nothing (although not an issue for you if you’re looking at the manual), no rattles at all, in fact it was so well presented by the dealer when I picked it up I have to keep reminding myself it’s new to me, not new. I have a 30 mile commute on open roads so don’t expect the DPF regent issue that’s been discussed to be a major factor, and although I’m still filling up once per week, it’s a smaller tank so I’m quids in as far as fuel economy is concerned.

Maybe I got a good one, it does seem to have been well looked after by its first owner, interior and exterior is immaculate, but I’d definitely recommend it, especially if it’s approved used as you get 2 years warranty.

Only thing I’d say is to consider the auto. I’ve just spent 7 years with a manual Freelander 2 and while the car itself was practically faultless, the auto box definitely suits this kind of car much more than the manual.

Return to “Main Discovery Sport chat”