Discovery Sport Forum banner

New Landmark Owner

18K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  Landmarked 
#1 ·
Hi All
Picked up this beauty today. I feel like I've made an informed decision after reading the entire forum over the last few weeks. Still went for it, though. I've always wanted a Land Rover and they made me a deal I couldn't refuse. :D

No add-ons because I didn't want to go over the 40k mark. I got them to throw in Supagard for free. Tow bar will be the first aftermarket upgrade.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome EHExplorer,
The pics look great, enjoy your new DS.

#6 ·
Really pleased with mine - don't think you will regret your choice.
Saved me over £2K if I had speced up a normal HSE to same. "No Brainer"! providing you don't mind the limited choice of colours and no front fog lights.
Enjoy

#7 ·
Congrats, ordered mine on Thursday, went for white in the end as I've had metallic grey cars for the last 8 years. Got great deal and I'm looking forward to delivery at the end of March - all being well. Planning on converting the rear bumper to HSE and fitting roof bars and (maybe) running boards.

#8 ·
Kruddler said:
Congrats, ordered mine on Thursday, went for white in the end as I've had metallic grey cars for the last 8 years. Got great deal and I'm looking forward to delivery at the end of March - all being well. Planning on converting the rear bumper to HSE and fitting roof bars and (maybe) running boards.
The rear bumper is HSE and same as every non-Dynamic DS, it's the front that's from the P290 Dynamic body kit. If you want the rear to be Dynamic as well you have to change the exhaust box/es.

#9 ·
Dashnine said:
Kruddler said:
The rear bumper is HSE and same as every non-Dynamic DS, it's the front that's from the P290 Dynamic body kit. If you want the rear to be Dynamic as well you have to change the exhaust box/es.

Yep, I'm aware of the exhaust issue. Looks like it's a case of removing the chrome end pieces and perhaps a slight angled cut the end tail pipes, I'll post some pics as I proceed to help anyone else that's considering it. Not sure if there's already a post covering this, as opposed to a straight bumper removal?

#11 ·
Congrats everyone. I ordered mine two days ago.

Few questions if I may:

1. Anyone has pics of the interior?Particularly interested in the Dark Grey Brushed Aluminium centre stack side rails. I've only seen the normal chrome.

2. Has anyone done any detailing/coating on it? Perhaps any recommendation in London area/M25? As I've ordered the navrik black which is a quite 'sensitive' colour I'm trying to preserve it's beauty on the long run (prep against chips, love marks, bird)drops). My current car Jag XE (what a change it will be from a tight XE :) ) also black has numerous scraches and can't keep up with the paint damages...

3. Engine run in tips? Gentle driving untill 1st 1k miles reached and thet's it?

4. Anything I would need to specifically check when collecting? Service counter? Oil level? Worth taking it to an independent oil check re oil dilusion to know what was the % when brand new?

5. Does everyone have it with the meridian 380 which includes a subwoofer in the boot? I had so much trouble with my meridian 380 in the jag XE. Currently the rear door speakers are not working at all. Some DS owners were complaining about the lack of bass and couldn't allocate the subwoofer either...

6. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. Like seevice plans, other insurance as I should have this for four years on PCP.

Thanks

#12 ·
3) Drive it like you stole or rented it to keep the DPF happy :) It needs temperature which needs load.

4) If you're buying new then I wouldn't worry about the oil yet.

5) I have the pre-Meridian version, but I think it's OK, and I'm into HiFi... was expecting worse and am pleasantly surprised.

6) I think service plans are a no-brainer, and then extended warranty for year 4.

Assuming your journey types don't upset the DPF, you should be fine for the 4 years you have it. I would also be prepared to change the oil once a year and not the 2 year or 21000 miles you might be led to believe are possible.This will be an additional cost to the service plan. If you get to 12,000 between changes you are doing well.

#13 ·
EHExplorer said:
No add-ons because I didn't want to go over the 40k mark. I got them to throw in Supagard for free. Tow bar will be the first aftermarket upgrade.
I got my Landmark in Black a couple weeks back - loving it so far... Seeing as you went for Corris Grey, didn't that push it over the £40k mark? I was under the impression that White or Grey were an added £640?

#14 ·
Thanks Ian.

Normally I drive like that however my XE is a company car so less bothered :) (and it's a petrol).

I work in the audio industry and I'm a bit picky; altough I know having more space in the DS compared to the XE improves the acustic experience straight away... fingers crossed.

Might be a silly question but does it matter where I buy the service plan from or it's more about where I take it once servicing needed? I assume I would need to buy this from an authorised dealership like the one I'm buying it from?

Re DPF I do both very sort journeys up to 5miles and longer ones (200-400miles a day).
I think the short journeys would upset the DPF right?

Thanks again

#15 ·
danbec82 said:
EHExplorer said:
I got my Landmark in Black a couple weeks back - loving it so far... Seeing as you went for Corris Grey, didn't that push it over the £40k mark? I was under the impression that White or Grey were an added £640?
You would still be under the £40k mark with the added optional colour as the £39,990 includes £830 vechile excise duty which is not part of the list price.

#16 ·
No-one has cracked the golden driving style required to ensure trouble free motoring with the exhaust system :) And by trouble free I mean reaching 21,000 miles or 2 years before the oil needs changing.

There are examples of people on here with all types of journey's, some have DPF trouble, others don't, everyone has dilution. The crux of the matter seems to be that passive regeneration of the DPF is rare, and the active cycles take longer than they should as it takes longer to get to temperature. This increases the chance of failed cycles, which in turn can mean the car spends more time in an active cycle injecting fuel until one completes which leads to increased dilution.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect driving for economy will exacerbate the above as you won't be getting the engine into high rev ranges enough to get a quick warm up and also keep the exhaust gasses at a high enough temperature to get through an active cycle quickly. If you're an infuriating 56mph merchant trying desperately to reach the 53mpg mark using delicate glances of the throttle whilst dodging lorries then I wouldn't be surprised if you get more DPF issues....

Fortunately, I think the DS is quite good to actually drive and hustle down country roads, and it sits quite nicely at 80mph avoiding the lorry antagonisers when you're not on one of those horrid 'smart' motorways.

So my advice would be to enjoy driving it, it's much better than you would expect of an SUV IMO.

Servicing will need to be done at an authorised agent, and main dealers charge around £450 for a full service and £220 for an oil service. Authorised independents can do oil only services for less, but make sure they are authorised and can update the online service history. So, the service plan from a main dealer is usually cheaper than two full services, and also includes free Adblue top-ups if you're within easy visiting distance of one. Later MY cars get through more Adblue to meet stricter NOx requirements so that may be useful to you.

#17 ·
Ian_S said:
No-one has cracked the golden driving style required to ensure trouble free motoring with the exhaust system :) And by trouble free I mean reaching 21,000 miles or 2 years before the oil needs changing.

There are examples of people on here with all types of journey's, some have DPF trouble, others don't, everyone has dilution. The crux of the matter seems to be that passive regeneration of the DPF is rare, and the active cycles take longer than they should as it takes longer to get to temperature. This increases the chance of failed cycles, which in turn can mean the car spends more time in an active cycle injecting fuel until one completes which leads to increased dilution.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect driving for economy will exacerbate the above as you won't be getting the engine into high rev ranges enough to get a quick warm up and also keep the exhaust gasses at a high enough temperature to get through an active cycle quickly. If you're an infuriating 56mph merchant trying desperately to reach the 53mpg mark using delicate glances of the throttle whilst dodging lorries then I wouldn't be surprised if you get more DPF issues....

Fortunately, I think the DS is quite good to actually drive and hustle down country roads, and it sits quite nicely at 80mph avoiding the lorry antagonisers when you're not on one of those horrid 'smart' motorways.

So my advice would be to enjoy driving it, it's much better than you would expect of an SUV IMO.

Servicing will need to be done at an authorised agent, and main dealers charge around £450 for a full service and £220 for an oil service. Authorised independents can do oil only services for less, but make sure they are authorised and can update the online service history. So, the service plan from a main dealer is usually cheaper than two full services, and also includes free Adblue top-ups if you're within easy visiting distance of one. Later MY cars get through more Adblue to meet stricter NOx requirements so that may be useful to you.
Thanks Ian, I'll try my best. To be honest I just enjoy driving in general and not keen on the mpg as long as it's around 30 also I might have a company fuel card too where mpg doesn't really matter; Hence driving my XE in dynamic and sports mode most of the time 🙂 (won't do this with my DS).

I've got my homework for the weekend to go through the forum :)

#19 ·
Ian_S said:
You should get mid to high 30s on mpg easily.

Don't let the horror stories put you off, think of it more as forewarned is forearmed, and just enjoy it.
Wise words.

For a few moments - after going through some of the threads here - I was worried but then it's like with everything. Forums, reviews are normally full of with bad experience, issues, seeking help etc rather than with success stories and joy which is understandable. Still excited about getting mine.

#20 ·
Welcome Londoner,
Enjoy you DS once it's arrives, not too long until early March, it will be well worth the wait.

#21 ·
Les said:
Welcome Londoner,
Enjoy you DS once it's arrives, not too long until early March, it will be well worth the wait.
Thanks les,

I'm really looking forward to the extra space as my current XE is very tight being over 6foot.

I've also found a good place to do a 'new car coating' with gtechniq. It's not cheap but well worth the protection and look. I just need to ask the delaership not to wash my car :)

#22 ·
Londoner - there should be no need to run the engine in nowadays. Being a diesel it will be a bit tight to start with but you will notice better mpg after a few thousand miles. It IS a good idea to run the tyres in for the first 200 miles. They should last longer that way. I do similar runs - five miles to the shops but a few hundred now and then and have had no dpf problems, other than having it changed under warranty because the egr cooler sooted up at 35000 miles. I've changed the oil once between each service - first change was early as the car was ex demo and had obvs done lots of short journeys, but it's been fine since - oil change requested at about 12000 miles. Yours will use more adblue than my MY16, so service plan might be a good idea.

#23 ·
Past master said:
Londoner - there should be no need to run the engine in nowadays. Being a diesel it will be a bit tight to start with but you will notice better mpg after a few thousand miles. It IS a good idea to run the tyres in for the first 200 miles. They should last longer that way. I do similar runs - five miles to the shops but a few hundred now and then and have had no dpf problems, other than having it changed under warranty because the egr cooler sooted up at 35000 miles. I've changed the oil once between each service - first change was early as the car was ex demo and had obvs done lots of short journeys, but it's been fine since - oil change requested at about 12000 miles. Yours will use more adblue than my MY16, so service plan might be a good idea.
Thanks for the tips and great to read that you haven't had much problem with yours either.

Now I just need to get a cheap car insurance. I'm still shocked that it's likely going to cost me £1,600 a year at least which is crazy even if I don't have insurance record at all (driving company car for 1.5years). With 10+ Years driving experience in the EU.

#24 ·
I believe some insurers will make an allowance for your company car mileage. Maybe a broker could help? Adrian Flux (broker) and NFU (Insurer) tend to get good write-ups, although I haven't used either myself. Unfortunately if you live in London they will sting you. I was once even refused insurance because of my London address.

#25 ·
You should get at least get a years no discount for your company car driving, get a letter from the company or their insurers as to your record.

As PM states, a broker may be able to find a company who'll take your European experience into account.

#26 ·
Counting down to around 4 weeks until I pick up my DS Landmark.

Just wondered if anyone has had the benefit of driving an MY 19 D180 and can back up the claims that the gear shifting is much improved and far more responsive from a standard start following the latest updates.

I ordered mine without driving a DS. Maybe a bit foolish but I drove the D180 Velar and thought if I was happy with that then there wouldn't be much difference. I haven't test driven the last couple of cars anyway.

Generally just keen to hear from any Landmark owners and their experiences so far, good and bad, and what I need to look out for on handover day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.