New Owner - Monday

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
redmug

New Owner - Monday

Post by redmug » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm

So I get my new disco sport Monday.

Now I’ve found this forum, I’ve got to ask, does anyone not have issues with oil dilution/DPF?

Have i done the most stupid thing in the world or do people still like their DS?

Badgerface

Re: New Owner - Monday

Post by Badgerface » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:04 pm

What you will find is those that are vociferous about not having any issues with oil dilution whatsoever, the car managing to go two years/21000 miles between services without requiring an oil change etc etc have either 1) Been smoking a bit too much of the giggly twig, 2) Work for JLR and pretend to be private owners, or 3) Both.
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

redmug

Post by redmug » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Omg.

Should I worry? Or just live with it?

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:25 pm

As long as you're prepared for more frequent oil changes than the 21K main service, you'll be fine. The frequency of the changes depends on your usage but it's not going to make 21K.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Past master

Post by Past master » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Depends on your usage. Mine has only required one oil change between services, which LR have done for free, and which I would probably have done anyway. So now on 43k miles in just under 3 years. Total so far 2 services + 2 oil changes. All done for free under warranty or the service plan which came with the car. At the moment I'm expecting to keep it for at least another 10k, with or without extra oil change. Only three problems - rusty rear discs, blocked EGR filter and gummed-up Adblue injector, all fixed under warranty.
Lovely car to drive. Nothing around at the moment tempting me to replace it.

If you only do short journeys mind, you'll likely have more problems with dpf/oil dilution.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

PhilMabbots17

A message from the MD

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 pm

2019 (19) Lexus RX 450h V6 Sport 4WD 8-)
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
2017 (17) Land Rover DS HSE 2.0L (Rejected)

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 am

redmug wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm
So I get my new disco sport Monday.
Now I’ve found this forum, I’ve got to ask, does anyone not have issues with oil dilution/DPF?
Have i done the most stupid thing in the world or do people still like their DS?
Very soon, everyone will have experienced for themselves the 7,500 mile average service interval because all the cars that were originally delivered to their owners with the conveniently faulty SIM software will have been back to the dealership at least once and had the necessary software update. (July 2019 should be the cut-off)

The worst affected cars will be getting to 4,000 miles and are likely to be experiencing regular DPF clogging issues requiring dealer intervention in the form of "forced regeneration" - the unfortunates owning these cars are genuinely the people whose driving style isn't right for a diesel. They shouldn't have bought ANY diesel, let alone one that's crippled by an additional exhaust design fault.

The best cars could achieve up to 14,700 miles but statistically at least 78% of all DS drivers will achieve less than 11,550 miles between oil changes. Within this huge majority of owners (8 out of 10) the average service interval is currently 7,501 - all these figures come from this POLL of 183 owners who have so far taken part. Keeping this survey going is the most important thing that owners can do because it keeps the pressure on JLR to do something and it demonstrates to the whole world that there is a real issue. It's something to hit dealers over the head with when they tell you that your driving style is wrong and that the car is working perfectly. It isn't. It's flawed and the problem is going to cost hundreds of millions of pounds in additional servicing parts and labour, plus a host of secondary failures with EGR components and the DPF itself (if you see SCRF it means the same thing).

A Land Rover independent I spoke to recently confirmed (as if confirmation was needed :roll: ) said that "everyone at JLR" is 100% aware (and has been for ages) that this problem is caused by the elongated architecture and hardware of the exhaust system design. That's something to remember, perhaps, when the service guy is in your face in a few months lying through his teeth about the car never having been positioned as having a 2 year/21,000 mile service, that the car is functioning normally and that it is your driving style that is responsible for your premature oil service. An oil service that you will probably be paying for, by the way.

You could show him this current JLR web page that still contains the claim: https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-lan ... ngine.html
Pricing for the Discovery Sport featuring Ingenium engines remains unchanged whilst the new TD4 150HP engine brings a lower starting price of £30,695 for the manual five seat ‘SE’ trim. Across the range service intervals have been extended from 16,000 to 21,000 miles lowering running costs over the vehicle’s lifetime. This coupled with the financial benefits from lower tax and reduced fuel costs, reflects real-world savings for the customer. Furthermore, a number of retail finance options are available allowing customers to step into a new Discovery Sport from £299 per month for the entry-level SE specification.
Most of the hi-lighted words appear to be untrue. Yet, astonishingly, they are still on prominent display on a public web page hosted by Jaguar Land Rover. But as long as they stay there I guess they'll come in handy when you come to reject your vehicle under Section 11 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
2019 (19) Lexus RX 450h V6 Sport 4WD 8-)
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
2017 (17) Land Rover DS HSE 2.0L (Rejected)

TeddyBear

Re: A message from the MD

Post by TeddyBear » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am

If the MD is still in a listening frame of mind, he might like to note how 9 out of 10 owners feel about this issue.

If dealership sales and service personnel would just desist from the annoying and, frankly, pathetic practice of blaming ordinary consumers for causing oil dilution by their driving style - when the rest of the world knows for a fact that there is a design fault with the car's exhaust system - it would go a long way towards demonstrating your sincerity when you say that quality is your number one concern, that you take complaints seriously, seek opportunities to learn and believe that there are "things that the retailers need to do to sharpen their act".

Stop the dealers pretending that car drivers all change their driving style precisely at the same time that they become the owner of a Land Rover DS, Range Rover Evoque or Jaguar E-Pace diesel and more people might decide that it's safe to begin a relationship with JLR which starts when £45,000 of cash currently in the pockets of people like me transfers into yours. What do you say?

simon

Post by simon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 am

Well my 17MY DS went to nearly 21K miles before the service indicator came on. The 16MY I had until 11K miles and no early service warning. I assume my ‘driving style) was appropriate for the car.
There are far better forums to be welcomed at than this one that locks threads because certain members can’t take a bit of criticism :roll:

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:36 am

simon wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:31 am
Well my 17MY DS went to nearly 21K miles before the service indicator came on. The 16MY I had until 11K miles and no early service warning. I assume my ‘driving style) was appropriate for the car.
Care to elaborate on that?
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Return to “Introductions”