Discovery Sport Forum banner

Poss new Landmark customer. Tax Query

16K views 68 replies 14 participants last post by  County 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

In the process of negotiating a new DS Landmark in Yulong White. Saw one yesterday for the first time and they are stunning. I am having a lot of debate though with the dealer over the list price reaching over 40k for tax purposes.

The bog standard 'list' price of the car Is 39105. The Yulong White is an additional 640. Totalling 39745.

JLR are telling me the 830 first year tax and 55 reg fee are taking this above the 40k and therefore will fall into the higher tax bracket as this is what they will base their list price on.

However, I have spoken to DVLA twice now and they have told me that the first years tax and registration fee should NOT be included in the list price. I have also found documentation from DVLA for the 2017 tax rules providing advice to dealers on what is and is not included in the list price. I am not sure though if these rules changed in 2018.

Does anyone have any definitive answer on this one? I really want to take the plunge and get this car ordered but I really don't want to get an extra sting from the tax man.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't mention what engine size, fuel type etc.

The list price is £39,990 for a 2lt 180 diesel auto. Any extra will push it over.

Personally, you are arguing over £350 per year extra, it's not a kings ransom, annoying perhaps. Have what you want. You don't buy a Land Rover for thrift or on a budget, do you?

That said, the DS and Evoque can both fall into the under £40k bracket. Makes it more affordable for people that ordinarily wouldn't look at a LR. Therein lies the problem, every other model is way above £40k, so i just accept it as a necessary evil.

#3 ·
Another 310 per year is an additional 1200 plus over 5 years and effectively adds a lot for the choice of a paint colour. When you are already at the top end of your budget then it is a deciding factor. It may not be a kings ransom to you or other LR owners but it will be a considerable amount to others.

The landmark only comes in the 2.0 litre automatic 180bhp Diesel engine.

While you state the list price is 39990, this includes the 830 first year road tax and 55 registration fee which the DVLA state should not be included.

#4 ·
2018 rules are the same as 2017, and DVLA are the definitive holders of the answer, but finding a definition of list price is not easy...

You can use this: https://www.whatcar.com/news/2017-ved-rates-list-price-vs-price-paid/n3281 where it's "the price of the car before the 'on-the-road' charges are added, such as a delivery charge, new vehicle registration fee, numberplates and fuel."

I can't see how you can calulate list price including a tax, in order to calculate the tax itself?!?

Maybe it's a nice little earner for them, I wonder how many others have been conned by this dealer?

#5 ·
Thanks dashnine. That was my thoughts as well. You can't really base a tax calculation on something that has already tax added.

To be fair to the dealer I think that the DVLA don't really make this clear. At the same time if the dealer knows he has you over the 40k anyway then there is more scope to sell extras.

#6 ·
I agree with -9, the DVLA should be able to tell you, but you can speak to two different people and get two different replies.

As for not adding a tax, it happens with VAT.

I too looked at What Car and other sites and it's not clear. However they use an example.

"For example, the Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDI Ultra Black Edition S tronic has an RRP of £39,890 so it would cost £140 a year in VED in years two to six. However, choosing an optional three-point steering wheel for £200 pushes that figure to £40,090 meaning that the Audi will now cost £450 a year in those same years to tax. Whether car manufacturers will change their pricing or specification levels remains to be seen."

LR pricing in making the RRP of the Landmark £10 short of £40k is evidence enough they are including the first years excise in my view.

The first years excise is over £1k and I know for a fact you can't add £1k worth of extras to a Landmark and still miss the £40k tax. In fact you can even add car mats unless they are after market.

I'd think there are a few people on here who went for the Landmark wanting to miss the excise hike at £40k and they should be able to tell you?

#7 ·
Fair point on the VAT Highlander. But a different sort of tax. Add VED so they can charge extra VED doesn't sound right.

That is my hope that there are a few Landmark customers (with metallic paint and no extras) who can tell me what their v5 states for tax purposes.

I have spoken to DVLA twice and both told me the same thing but did not have a form of word they could provide in writing.

#8 ·
I can see where the confusion lies.

There should also be a case for taking the figure from what's actually paid rather than RRP. That's every bit as much of a rip off as including the first years registration fee, if indeed you do, although that said, some creative accounting could come into play I suppose.

#9 ·
I think that was the whole point of the landmark Edition, to try and bring it in under the £40k
I have just bought one a few weeks ago and the tax will be £140. I was assured this by Pentland Landrover.
I would not have bought it otherwise out of a matter of principal!
If you add any extras however, you are done for!

#10 ·
Hi decho.

Thanks for the reply. Habe you got the v5 yet for you Landmark. Apparently that is where it tells you if the higher tax rate applies.

I understand that LR brought in this model to avoid the higher tax bracket, but they are marketing the black model at 39990 OTR. The grey and white obviously add an extra 640 on top. This is where the confusion comes in. I'm hoping that this is the case and I will be taking the plunge tomorrow. 😬

#11 ·
I do have it at home but am on holiday at the moment until 15th unfortunately.
I have the Grey Model.
I wanted a towbar fitted but this had to be a dealer fit so that it was not included in the List Price

#13 ·
Navick Black is a non metallic, so hence you can take this and the non metallic Fuji white at no cost. Just used to be the white, the black is a 2018 addition.

Anyway, go for the Santorini Black, Barolo Black or the Yulong White and it's extra.

This is the bit you are looking for on the front page of the log book.

4CBE5568-A565-4718-A161-A509A17EEB68.jpeg

#14 ·
I have a Corris Grey Landmark, plus extra USB for the sake of it..

Road tax for year 1 was included, then lower rate of £140 per year.

Vehicle was discounted and ordered value was less than £40k.

#15 ·
I can confirm that the road fund licence and first registration fee (in my case £800 +£55) are not included in the final price for the tax bracket. I have had my DS for 1 year and have just paid DVLC £140 for the annual tax. I sat down with the salesman and configured the car to be just £10 under the £40000 cut off. Basically, the vehicle price plus options you have fitted at the factory (incl vat) is what counts. So you should be able to have options on the Landmark within the road licence fee etc and keep below the tax threshold. Anything the dealer can fit after market is not included. So if you want to add mudflap, mats, tow bars (not the electric one as that is done at the factory) etc get them done "After" delivery. The service pack can also be added this way so not to be included in the DVLC list price.

#18 ·
I was told that the only way to get a Landmark under £40k is to stick with narvik black only. As soon as you add metallic then you're in for the big chunk on tax. Seeing as I was tipping it over £40k anyway I stuck a few options on as I was damned paying the larger tax bill for the sake of metallic paint so added the options to justify it :D

#19 ·
And hereby lies the confusion gazb. That's what you were told by the dealer and also what I am being told. Yet there are others on the forum who are saying otherwise. I have also received the the following from the DVLA:

"Hi Christoper,

I can confirm that the fee for vehicle tax is not included in the list price.

The list price or notional price includes any options added by the manufacturer before delivery to the dealer/retailer. The list price also includes any delivery charges for the vehicle, including any pre-delivery inspection costs and VAT. The price also includes the price it would be to buy any leased items i.e. electric batteries.

Any options fitted by the retailer are not included in the list price. Also any incentive options such as track days, servicing or warranties.

Please see further details below:

What's Included?
Manufacturers Recommended Retail Price
The price of any non-standard option fitted by the manufacturer
VAT
Delivery charges inc. pre delivery inspection charges

What's Not Included?
Warranty/Insurance and Service packages etc
The price of any non-standard option fitted by the dealer
Modifications for disabled users
First Registration fee and cost of first licence

I hope this is of assistance to you."

It would appear the dealers are not doing their job. Or maybe they are and upselling in the case of gazb. If I knew I was going over the 40k then I would do the same and add a few extras to justify it.

#20 ·
The dealer order takers are clueless. They know nothing whatsoever about the product that they are selling, nor do they care, as long as they get the all-important Finance kick-back to boost their monthly commission. Previous members on here have quoted mis-builds by JLR - they are NOT, it is down to incompetent 'sales' (and I use the title loosely!) staff who either don't listen to the trainer when being briefed on vehicle updates, or are too busy shuffling paperwork to make themselves look busy when in actual fact, they are floundering, hence the high turnover of staff.

If they can't even complete paperwork properly and show due diligence on the admin side of the business, then what hope is there for the future? JLR might as well follow Hyundai's lead and get rid of dealerships and move to an online direct ordering system. At least the cock-ups would then be down to the customer, rather than the middleman who couldn't give two hoots!

#21 ·
Chrisjpark said:
And hereby lies the confusion gazb. That's what you were told by the dealer and also what I am being told. Yet there are others on the forum who are saying otherwise. I have also received the the following from the DVLA:

"Hi Christoper,

I can confirm that the fee for vehicle tax is not included in the list price.

The list price or notional price includes any options added by the manufacturer before delivery to the dealer/retailer. The list price also includes any delivery charges for the vehicle, including any pre-delivery inspection costs and VAT. The price also includes the price it would be to buy any leased items i.e. electric batteries.

Any options fitted by the retailer are not included in the list price. Also any incentive options such as track days, servicing or warranties.

Please see further details below:

What's Included?
Manufacturers Recommended Retail Price
The price of any non-standard option fitted by the manufacturer
VAT
Delivery charges inc. pre delivery inspection charges

What's Not Included?
Warranty/Insurance and Service packages etc
The price of any non-standard option fitted by the dealer
Modifications for disabled users
First Registration fee and cost of first licence

I hope this is of assistance to you."

It would appear the dealers are not doing their job. Or maybe they are and upselling in the case of gazb. If I knew I was going over the 40k then I would do the same and add a few extras to justify it.
I think it's pretty straight forward if you add metallic paint then you go over £40k irrespective of other costs that may/may not be included. The £39,990 OTR price for narvik leaves nothing left in the pot for met paint or anything else.

Just go with what you really want in the car, don't worry about the tax as you'll be disappointed in your decision in a few months time.

#22 ·
Gazb.

This is the point. The 39990 for the Narvik black is the OTR price. This includes tax and registration fees. This is not part of the list price. The list price for Narvik black is 39105. 55 reg fee and 830 tax take s it to 39990. Effectively you should have around 900 to play with for extras. This is where the 'sales' people are misleading.

#23 ·
Chrisjpark said:
Gazb.

This is the point. The 39990 for the Narvik black is the OTR price. This includes tax and registration fees. This is not part of the list price. The list price for Narvik black is 39105. 55 reg fee and 830 tax take s it to 39990. Effectively you should have around 900 to play with for extras. This is where the 'sales' people are misleading.
Ah right I get you now mate! Sorry for adding to the confusion! I've read a lot of reviews saying the standard entertainment system / screen is pretty poor so if there's any upgrades to consider the entertainment pack seems to be the one!

#24 ·
Well, I have the Corris Grey Landmark and I am almost certain that I am going to pay £140.
No extras though which is why I went for the dealer fit towbar.
I will confirm on my return from holiday and if not Pentland Landrover will be getting a visit from me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.