Initial thoughts

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
antmatz

Initial thoughts

Post by antmatz » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi all,

Been on here only a few weeks in anticipation of collecting my Landmark, which I picked up Friday.
Very early days but coming from an XF I am not too disappointed yet. Practicality of the DS sport was the result of a rethink of vehicle due to recently extended family.

The biggest thing I have noticed so far is the sound quality moving from the meridian surround to the standard meridian. To be honest it's like night and day. I will miss the surround but was financially reluctant to go the extra circa £2K for the touch pro upgrade. Something I will have to live with.

Car feels solid and cofortable enough and overall I am very pleased.
I have gone with the Yulong white which I think contrasts really well with the dark grey wheels and roof trim. As per the press release pictures. I will post some photo's when I get chance.
I also picked the connect pack for WiFi to keep the kids happy on longer journeys, and remote start / climate is a nice touch.

Obviously a few horror stories on here with regards to the ingenium engine, but I only intend to keep for the warranty period so apart from maybe a few extra trips to the local dealers it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Looking to fit side steps thanks to the advice on here. Will update once copleted.
Discovery Sport MY19 Landmark

The Highlander

Re: Initial thoughts

Post by The Highlander » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Side steps are easily fitted. An hour tops. I got the removal down to 20 mins - no rivnuts to muck about with.

Anyway, I’ve got a very good used genuine LR pair up for sale if interested?

antmatz

Post by antmatz » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks highlander but already purchased. Aftermarket ones, identical apart from the discovery branding on them it appears. Had a go at fitting yesterday but the nut riveter I purchased doesn’t feel upto the job so had to put trim back on and will revisit next weekend. Seems straightforward though. The plastic trim anchors are a pain though.

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Go very gentle on the plastic screws holding the trim on. Pretend it’s like dimantelling a bomb and you’ll not go far wrong or you’ll cross thread them. If you have to replace one, they aren’t far off a fiver a piece.

As for the rivnuts, use this. It’s the largest one you can use given the DS ground clearance.

Oh and the only problem with lookalike sidesteps is the metal trim tarnishes particularly quickly and easily and the rivets rust off. Try coating the rivets and either Autosol or carefully Wonderwheels the trim.
7D078C87-0B39-4D4F-8C7B-E7DACE3E0BE0.jpeg

antmatz

Post by antmatz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks. Really useful to know this rivet tool works / fits under the sill. I may try a local garage for the rivet fitting, if I take the trims off and replace myself, otherwise, I will order the above. My rivets appear to be a gold looking steel so assume some sort of electrozinc coating.
I only need them to last 3 years :)

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 pm

The original LR ones that came with the side steps were hexagonal and a light shade of green. That apart, I’ve seen LR hexagonal black ones and silver ones. Obviously they all work on the same principal and having used different types, I’ve never had a problem.

The Rivnut tool is very easy to work. It does require some elbow grease to properly contract the rivnut, but don’t over do it. When you tighten the bolts on the side step brackets, it will further contract the Rivnut anyway.

There are three for each four brackets, 12 in total. 2 x 4 on the sides can easily be done. 10 seconds a Rivnut. The 1 x 4 underneath are a bit of a pain and requires you to be prone, but that’s it. Takes about about 20 seconds a Rivnut because it’s more difficult to squeeze the Rivnut tool in that position.

Sorry, must go, I am getting asked questions about a UCAS application to be in this month to the point I feel I am actually doing the flipping thing. :roll:
Last edited by The Highlander on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S marty

Post by S marty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 pm

You can set rivnuts with two spanners and a washer. Slow but it works

The Highlander

Post by The Highlander » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:47 pm

You can indeed, never tried it, but the same principal. I think I’d get fed up before the Rivnut contracted tbh.

S marty

Post by S marty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:08 pm

I fitted several to a freelander. Simple really. Its just tighten a blind nut until it squashes

chatuge

Post by chatuge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm

Any pics as am thinking of a landmark for my wife. Does it have the rear privacy glass as standard?

Return to “Introductions”