Prospective DS Owner

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
PhilMabbots17

Re: Prospective DS Owner

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Off the top of the head.

Don't kid yourself that you are buying a Discovery because no-one who really matters is going to be fooled. It's really a Freelander in a frock and lippy.

Against 2014 competition it might once have looked pretty hot but it's getting frumpier by the day. Have another really good look at that back end. Even sat next to the F-pace it's looks like the ugly sister.

Run your fingers over the industrial-grade plastic sheeting covering the doors and the dash surfaces. Check out the scratch-able hard plastic surfaces lower down, the hard plastic switch inserts for the windows and so forth. It's looks and feels cheap - it IS cheap. There are vans with better trim.

Try and park it neatly first time in a standard supermarket car park bay. You have to shunt. The 40 foot turning circle is a joke.

Unless you spend £42K plus on the HSE you'll need to add £1,000 worth of Xenon lights just to be able to see at night on unlit roads. The standard 55W halogens have no reach at all. Changing the bulb colour and thinking they're better is self-deception. The blue led fog lights do nothing and clash with the H7 halogen dips. The standard day-time running lights look like the dim-dips on a Ford Sierra.

Remember that you'll need to start scoping out fuel stations after driving less than 350 miles. Fuel economy will be a fraction of what the manufacturer claims. The diesel will be 30 % better than the petrol but...

...with the oil burner you'll get diesel dilution and need extra servicing which will be your responsibility at the end of the warranty. You might get treated to a faulty DPF. You'll have a relatively high chance of needing new balancer shafts or a new engine. The jury's still out on long term engine damage and DPF life caused by post injection and oil condition.

If you still like the idea of diesel economy forget the 150 HP engine (Over 11 seconds to 60 mph is way too slow) or a manual gearbox. This takes the minimum practical spec to an SE Tech 180 HP Auto. Add in the mandatory Xenons (see above) and the minimum spend approaches £38K. But you'll still need another £640 for metallic paint, then more cash for some carpet mats, heated seats, keyless entry, rear privacy glass and a rear-view camera - just to bring your DS up to the spec of comparable cars like the Mercs, Volvos and Beemers. Get ready to pay £38,910 list price for a fading starlet. The emissions will be 172 g/km so taxable car benefit charge will be £14,396 per annum. Ouch.

If you like petrol the 240HP SE Tech with the same extras is £40,905. Emissions for petrol shoot up to 202 g/km making the taxable car benefit charge £15,134. Ouch plus 1.

Whichever fuel you select the rear discs and callipers will rust and need changing. Compared to other makes you'll feel that the satnav is dated, sluggish and clunky.

On top of this you could experience random problems with any of the following: the satnav, phone and climate control system, the outside temperature sensor, parking sensors, rear camera and the stop-start. The sluggish auto gearbox could decide to kill you one day. These are some of the most frequently-reported problems on this forum.

Servicing is horrendously expensive at main dealers and will be needed twice as often as they claim. Depreciation is a big concern if it's your own vehicle. The attitude, honesty and competence level at many dealers leaves a lot to be desired. The good ones freely admit that doing business with JLR is like pushing water uphill but nevertheless do a commendable job of covering up the cracks in the system. For now at least.

B-pillar? Probably the only good news, fault-wise. Hopefully it should now be on the way out.

Lastly a few good things.

Nice ride. Great driving position. Very talented off road (but, come on, be honest, how often will you REALLY use all those traction buttons?). Big comfortable seats. Clever stowage. Loads of space in the back. 7 seats available at no extra cost. Nice big flat load space with clever sliding rear seats. A useful pair of buttons for calling for assistance (good call, JLR).

In summary I have no regrets about switching to the Merc and I would never consider buying another JLR car. Lots of folk on here have said the same.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:49 am

I think looks are always going to be a subjective thing, I can't stand the general styling of Merc or Audi SUVs and I personally don't think the BMW's are a ton better. I think the DS looks very good.

The spec to get is HSE, although that now attracts the government's lovely luxury car tax for five years (as will comparable cars from anyone else) so don't forget to factor that in.

If it is a company car then it's still not clear if HMRC are going to compensate drivers for the across the board incease in BIK that the new testing rules have accomplished. After all it wasn't us drivers that screwed up, so it seems rather unfair to penalise us in this country and not fine a single manufacturer for what was their issue. So I do expect that to get corrected, although it's a bit stupid that they haven't done so already as it's clesrly impacting buyers decisions now.

If you head over to BMW and look at specs for the X3, then you find that doing a striaght comparison on CO2 gets complicated as BMW are showing figures for the 2.0L diesel that appear to be calculated back to NEDC to allow 'comparison' between models as they don't have everything on the new WLTP figures yet it appears. And the X3 starts at £39K OTR... BMW GLC is also still showing NEDC figures on their website, so it will be interesting to see what these cars jump to for WLTP.

The driving lights on the DS with Xenon's are fine I think, easily visible, and on the HSE you also get LED rears which look better too.

Whilst the design of the DPF system on the DS is clearly not the best, and has been very well documented here, including oil dilution, what is also clear is that for other manufacturers we simply don't know whether they have similar issues or how they might be hiding them. BMW for example have dropped servicing down to 14k miles from previously higher levels. Volvo have had issues with rising oil levels due to dilution, and you'll find some manufacturers have even added new marks on dipsticks to provide additional warnings. The long and short of it as far as I can tell is that Euro 6 diesels are all a game of trading oil dilution against service intervals with wildly varying degrees of acceptable dilution figures by manufacturer. Perhaps JLR's initial system was too honest and exposed the problem more than they expected, and I suspect it will migrate to a system more like other brands where they reach a mileage vs. dilution figure they can live with and is in the ball park with other cars rather than a more accurate calculation.

So, I think if you are buying a Euro 6 diesel, expect once a year servicing, and really you want once a year oil changes. If you are buying new, then service plans make most sense and in that regard I don't think JLR are extortionate, BMW are probably best for out of contract service costs, my experience of Merc dealers was that they were eye wateringly expensive compared to BMW and JLR. Maybe that has changed.

I like the auto box, if you don't want sluggish then you have sport mode which is more responsive, and also the paddles can over-ride at any time and this system works really well. A quick couple of downshifts in D mode will set you up nicely for a corner or roundabout, and returns back to D mode after a few seconds of no futher input. If you want to make sure the box is not in D mode on a pullaway so it doesn't try and get into the next gear almost immediately, hit the upshift while you are stationary just before you pull off and then you will stay in that gear until you pull the next upshift yourself, or keep the upshift held, and it will go straight back to D mode. It's that really quick upshift in D mode for economy that causes a lull in getaway. However I find that a reasonable amount of foot press causes a brisk set off, not a complete foot to the floor, but don't be gentle. If you try and pull away gently then the box seems to default to economy over performance.

I have driven MUCH worse auto's than the DS, the last Peugeot 3008 is horrendous in comparison and is far more sluggish getting away, and I would call that dangerous at times. The DS is far, far better IMO.

In terms of In-Car entertainment, it's not the best system out there (the standard one) but it does most things reasonably well. I prefer it to the Audi systems which I found infuriatingly over complicated and unfriendly. My iPhone works most of the time, it's hard these days to know who is to blame, Apple iOS updates are so frequent now it's not funny, and 11.3.1 had some issues that have gone away with 11.4. It's just impossible to stick with a working combination anymore. I do wish JLR would provide a way to apply updates t othe ICT for us, BMW manage it with their systems, so I think JLR need to find a way to do it too. I'm sure dealers are fed up with software updates, and it's a pain as a driver to only have updates via dealers. If the process is thought through properly it should be relatively risk free, plenty of devices seem to manage it just fine these days.

Just a slightly different view based on only 6 weeks of LR ownership (5+ years of Jaguar, same group, and 13+ of BMW prior to that) and I bought second hand which I'm sure some on here would call brave. Time will tell :)

So far I really like the car. Find a good dealer and you should be ok, but as with any modern Euro 6 diesel, short journeys are a killer for the emmissions systems.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Many people have bought a Discovery Sport and found this forum afterwards. Too frequently they have posted, " I just wish I'd known about this before I got the car". In my experience the gap between JLR's marketing and the harsh reality of LR ownership can be punishingly wide for the naïve first-time owner. That such incompetence, deceit and casual, unethical disregard for customers' interests could lurk behind a brand generally perceived as glamorous and prestigious - the Queen herself is a customer - is difficult to swallow. But for many, myself included, this is the reality of buying a JLR product.

It is imperative to take off the rose-tinted spectacles. Think of this a bit like the Emperor's New Clothes. Read carefully the countless accounts of problems suffered by ex-owners (current owners, too), look very carefully at the quality of the cloth, make sure it really fits and don't be distracted by what you are "supposed" to think about it. Be totally and ruthlessly objective about every small detail. I wish I had done all of those things last May but nobody warned me. In truth, I was so loved up with the car I probably wouldn't have listened if they had. So watch out for that weakness as well. I acquired my DS on 26.05.2017 and it took me just 21 days to discover that I had been misled about the servicing intervals.

By mid-July 2017 the more technically-astute on this forum knew in a broad sense what the problem was all about (it would take another 2 months to piece together the full technical picture) but JLR thought they could continue to play us for fools. On 27.07.2017, after just 62 days, my honeymoon was over and I said I needed a good long think - but with 20:20 hindsight I think I knew in my heart even then that it would have to be rejected. Making that first decision was only the first of a series of hurdles and headaches that any rejecting owner will have to get used to. Believe me, this is not a journey for the faint-hearted.

When Ed-b asked a similar question on 02.04.2018, "Advice needed please", I replied:
NoDiscoSport wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 pm
Ed, it's got to be said straight away that:
1. Your journey description doesn't appear to match that for "normal driving" for the current model diesel DS, according to a letter they wrote to me on 24/10/2017.
2. Unlike B pillar issues, the diesel dilution is not something you find that you have just been "unlucky" with. It is 100% generic. There are specific problems such as faulty SCRF and Balancer Shaft bearing failure where it's less certain but oil dilution and frequent services is not one.
3. Having had a lucky escape myself, I always think like the old pilot that "its a damn sight better being down here desperately wishing you were up there than the other way round."
4. Apart from the questionable business ethics of some dealerships, they are great man-toys when they are behaving properly. Anyone who has driven one will always say that and I'm no different.
5. Weigh your decision very carefully. Don't say you weren't warned.
6. If you decide to join the club I wish you a happy and enjoyable experience. If they ever get their house in order I might be persuaded to break my vow and try JLR again. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

NDS
Points 3 and 5 are particularly important if it's your own money. For his part Ed-b only made three posts on the forum: this was his last:
Ed-b wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm
Hi Guys
Just nipped back and wanted to send my thanks to everyone again. Your comments have really helped and have moved us away from, what definitely would have been, a big purchasing mistake. We are going for a petrol vehicle but have now gone back to the drawing board following NoDiscos advice. This is a great forum and I'm really thankful that there are great people out there willing to give the benefit of their own experiences. Thanks Guys. Take care and happy motoring. Ed
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Gone. Not of satisfactory quality. Not as described.

Koevoet

Post by Koevoet » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:06 pm

MK9 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:59 pm
Hello all,

I’ve been following this forum with interest for a few weeks and thought I’d sign up. Don’t currently own a DS and probably won’t be changing cars for 9-12 months but I like to start my research early. I’d set my heart on a DS, as I’m after a mid sized ‘SUV’ that offers occasional 7 seat flexibility, and it looks the business.

However reading this forum has scared the hell out of me! I currently drive a 2 yr old BMW 520d M Sport Touring which I’ve owned from new, and before that an S-Max Titanium Sport for 5 years, also from new, and I’ve had 7 years trouble free motoring.

It sounds like that run could end with a DS (!) but I’ll continue to follow things with interest as I consider my options.
I was a bit worried too after finding this site. But as others say, you'll find people are very quick with the negative and slow to praise. I'm not saying there have not been or are not issues.But I also know a few friends an colleagues who love their DS. I have taken the plunge and ordered a 240 petrol HSE. Not because of issues with the engine but with lack of clarity over diesel. I had a Freelander 2 for 8 years and loved it.
Going in September : Lexus NX 300H
On order : DS HSE petrol 240, Firenze red with Contrasting black roof ,18" dark grey rims
In the garage for fundays: Porsche 981 Boxster S, PSE ,PASM,LSD, PTV, Sport chrono and manual gearbox :D

Carnut

Post by Carnut » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi,

I’ve owned mine now for a few weeks and have done just short of 800 miles and I can say that I really like the car.

I came from Audi A4 allroad sport auto and can say the gear box is on par if not slightly better but it’s a good all rounder, not as quick as my Bmw 320 msport auto but it’s a big suv so that’s not too surprising.

Entertainment system is simple to use and I don’t experience any lag that others have found, was the Audi easier, yes but compared to the over complicated Bmw system that makes you hunt on over deepening sub menus, it’s great.

Sat nav- seams great and works and have had no issues.

Interior is simple and great, yes some feels plastic but this is a practical suv and that’s what I find it designed towards and it’s a lot easier to clean.

I’m really enjoying this car and glad I took the leap of faith.
Soon to be

2018 DS HSE Black,
Corris Grey
Cirrus Leather

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi Carnut - glad to see you are enjoying your DS!
I ended up with an Evoque but know a few people with the DS and they are also happy.

LR certainly is an addictive brand (I've had many!) and even forum members here that have had a bad experience can't move on and keep posting here ;)
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

Buy british

Post by Buy british » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I've only had mine for three weeks, but no problems and no regrets.(,moving from X5 4.0 Msport )

240 p engine √.......18inch grey rims √........and three year parts and Labour warranty, just in case.............what's not to like ?

I genuinely feel sorry for the guys on here who've had all the ICTP problems, and diesel engine nightmares, ....but you can't let their bad luck deter you from your choice.

There is something strangely innate about driving a JLR vehicle, .. amongst the plethora of German wannabes .

Just my personal thoughts.......doesn't mean they're right !!...😳
Arrived 30/05/18.........HSE 240 petrol..byron blue..18" grey wheels...cirrus leather..adaptive dampers..service pack..
Factory fitted options =... prayer mat, ..shrine to Buddah, ..and some worry beads hanging from the steering wheel.

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 pm

To be fair, it's not just users of this forum. There are more than 6,500 words of complaint on Honest John alone, which takes 10 pages of A4 to print off. This is an unprecedented "achievement" and it demonstrates clearly that this is much more than a whinge about the diesel issue described in JLRP00100. I wish everyone with one of these cars the best of luck but the evidence that the car is a potential liability cannot be denied. Potential owners ought to know this.
Interior build quality could be better, especially the B Pillars.

Early (2015) Ford 2.2-litre SD4 engine has high running costs.

Ride is firm at low speeds.

Early (2017) production Land Rover Discovery Sport with the Igenium petrol engines cannot accommodate a spare wheel because of the configuration of the exhaust system. Happily, from 11th September 2017, the Reduced Section Spare Wheel (029NZ) becsme available to order for an Si4 240HP and 290HP Petrol engines.

17-6-2015: Complaint of new Discovery Sport inducing snake every time a truck is overtaken on the motorway. Did not happen with same caravan and previous Freelander II. Suggests fault with towbar fitting, towing electronics or tyres, especially if the ESC is not properly set for towing.

7-8-2015: HonestJohn.co.uk test car suffered from a loud engine vibration and seats that creaked as you tackled tight bends.

25-8-2015: Apparently DAB reception of BBC Radio 3 is poor and patchy. May be due to using the latest DAB system. Will still get BBC Radio 3 on FM.

7-9-2015: Was an issue with the second row seat folding mechanism that has lead to large mumbers of disignated LandRover Discovery Sports being quarantined before delivery (see Recalls).

7-9-2015: Latest issue with Land Rover Discovery Sports resulting in quarantine seems to be something to do with the EU6 Certification of the AdBlue SCR system for the Ingenium diesels in Discovery Sports.

23-10-2015: Dealer held back delivery of Discovery Sport because found a fault with the wiring loom during the pre-delivery inspection. Dealers words: "could cause a fire and wreck the engine". Maybe a one-off.

6-11-2015: Stop-start of three week old Discovery Sport auto with Ingenium diesel shut down engine at traffic lights, then shut down entire car.

2-12-2015: Another report of stop-start of same October 2015 Discovery Sport shutting down whole car. The gear knob disappears, all the lights go out, etc. Waiting for traffic lights to turn green on a hill in Drive with foot on the brake, when lights changed driver put my foot down on the accelerator to move off and instead the car rolled backwards. He went into neutral then back into drive while with his foot on the brake, then put his foot on the accelerator and again the car rolled backwards. He turned the engine off and back on again and all was ok. Eventually the Land Rover dealer relented and accepted rejection of the car.

18-12-2015: Report of several interior noises in 2015 Discovery Sport bought March 2015 2015, from leaving the showroom. The car has been back with the dealer 4 times and they now say they cannot get rid of the noises. Car now has 10k miles.

10-3-2016: Another reader (with 35 years of caravan towing experience) reported instability when towing with a 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport. Same 4 year old caravan with which had no instability problems with previous car.

19-6-2016: Clarification of interior noises (18-12-2015). Originally the fault was tied down to a limited range of vehicles. However, the LBT00827 fix has now extended to 2015 onwards with no end in sight. Customers are buying band new cars and having to get invasive chiseling of B-Pillar and drilling out welds and rewelding to the car within weeks of purchase.

16-7-2016: Report of tailgate of brand new Discovery Sport failing to close properly and therefore won't lock. Dealer supposedly fixed it at delivery but keeps recurring.

2-9-2016: Complaint of severe vibration from Land Rover Discovery Sport diesel bought new in March 2016. Back to dealer 4 times total 11 days for vibrations from accelerator, steering column, drivers floorpan, Centre console and centre armrest. Both local dealer and supplying dealer tell owner that "It’s a characteristic of the new diesel engine."LR Customer Relations refer owner back to dealer. See 9-6-2016. and 18-12-2015.

20-9-2016: Report of various problems with new Land Rover Discovery Sport purchased 22-7-2016. On driving home from dealership discovered that wheel arches were so badly fitted they were rubbing on the inside of the wheels. Temporary fix by the AA. Booked into dealer to be fixed on 11th August then on 10th August dealer cancelled the booking. rebooked for 30th August. 24th August load squeak from load area added to faults now poor fitting trim front wing to door, wheel arches, missing bolts in the rear bumper. Car returned on 30th August, now with a badly repaired scratch on the hatchback. Car returned to dealer again on 1-9-2016 for warranty cork to be completed and hatch lid repaired. Car returned 6th September with poor quality repairs. 16-9-2016 rattle from B pillar (see 19-6-2016).

1-12-2016: Latest on Land Rover Discovery Sport B-Pillar ticking/rattle is that one reader had rejected her second Discovery Sport for this fault. Technical bulletin for original 3-stage fix was LBT00827. This week, JLR released an updated fix for the issue. As well as the previous drilling out of existing welds and re-welding of the B-Pillar, they are now riveting the seat belt anchor points.

3-1-2017: Smoke from engine compartment of new Land Rover Discovery Sport purchased on 19/12/16 had to be recovered after less than 250 miles. Dealer told owner the car's turbo was faulty and needs replacing. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 he could, theoretically, reject the car.

25-1-2017: More on the Land Rover Discovery heater motor issue: Since reported on 10-1-2018 the car has been parked at the Didcot dealership along with 11 others, all with the same fault and all awaiting modified scuttles with no news as of today as to when they will all be fixed. Seems rainwater has been routed into the blower motor via the scuttles and shorts it out. Dealer reckons there must be a large number of 2017 Disco Sports in the same position across the country.

27-2-2017: Complaint of Land Rover Discovery Sport failing to respond to lifting off accelerator. Dealer agreed to a refund but only on the basis of 75p/mile for the 3,500 miles the car has done.

6-3-2017: Forum thread on the Land Rover Discovery Sport B-Pillar problem: http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewt ... =12&t=4485

14-4-2017: Report that January 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport with 2.0 Ingenium diesel engine went in for its first service in March 2017. During this the dealer detected an engine noise (of which the owner was unaware). Dealer said that he neaded to change the turbo. Dealer was not satisfied with the results and then persuaded LandRover to change the engine.

16-4-2017: Report that "poor" fuel economy of Land Rover Discovery Sport of 40mpg over its first 1,500 miles turned out to be due to a faulty engine management system that was replaced, resulting in a significant improvement in fuel economy.

17-4-2017: Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB00827V6 received concerning fixed for the 'B' Pillar rattle and superceding all previous TSBs about this issue. Extracts include: "Using a suitable tool, strike the panel inwards over the highlighted area shown. The panel should be struck with as much force as can safely be applies. repeat along the highlighted area shown. This will eliminate the noise from this area." "Using a suitable hammer, insert the suitable chisel between the inner 'B' pillar and the cant rail, to a maximum depth of 20mm. This will eliminate the noise from this area." CAUTIONS "Make sure no damage is caused to the vehicle."

19-6-2017: Report of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport being rejected and replaced by LandRover dealer "due to a significant number of defects." The replacement also has significant problems, which the dealership accepts and has attempted to fix on two occasions and is still trying. Owner wants to reject the replacement also as it has been in the dealership for 6 weeks followed by 2 weeks back at Halewood. The dealership is offering a refund £5,854 less than what the owner originally paid in 2016.

29-6-2017: At 5000 miles, engine oil of Ingenium diesel engine of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport found to be contaminated by diesel 4.2% by volume from active regenerations of the DPF against a maximum permissible of 7%. Dealer reset the service interval indicator under warranty from 8,350 additional miles to 19,850 additional miles and told owner in writing that he should stick to the standard intervals, i.e. the first oil service to be done at 21,000 miles total, or 2 years whichever came first. Also told him he should ignore the service interval mileage indicator and only take it for an oil change if the car requests one due to the diesel contamination rising towards maximum. They quoted £528.66 for a full service includeing an oil and filter change and would not varry out an oil and flter change alone.

24-7-2017: Report that side protection mouldings (a dealer fit) on Land Rover Discovery Sports are not compatible with the optional wade height sensors that then think the car is at its maximum wading depth even when standing on dry land.

7-9-2017: B-pillar rattle still seems to be a serious issue, not properly rectified in production. Link to more then 60 angry owners on Discovery Sport forum: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4278

11-9-2017: Report of repeated transmission trouble with December 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport, purchased at four months old as an ex-demo. It has had three separate incidents of gearbox/selector fault, the last one involved seizing up whilst travelling at approx 30mph.

15-9-2017: According to a July 2017 Service Compliance Notification sent out by Jaguar Land Rover, 16MY and 17MY Discovery Sport (DS) and Range Rover Evoque 2.0L Ingenium Diesel vehicles (EU6b Market) are suffering from premature diesel dilution of the engine oil due to a "higher than expected" number of DPF regeneration cycles. The root cause of the problem lies in hardware and architecture issues ("differences") which were seemingly not addressed when the Ingenium engine was migrated from the Jaguar product line to the Land Rover SUV models. Consequently, DS and Evoque vehicles require a higher amount of post-injection activity in order to achieve the same carbon burn rate, compared to the similar 2.0L diesel when fitted in the XE and XF. A service indicator informs drivers that an interim oil service is required when oil dilution hits 6.1% and, based on owners' personal reports, this normally happens anywhere between 6,000 miles and 12,000 miles, against a nominal service interval of every 21,000 miles or 2 years. JLR is currently operating a "goodwill" campaign under which owners of Evoque and DS vehicles registered before 1st June 2017 will obtain the interim oil and filter changes free of charge, so long as the service indicator comes on before 15,750 miles from new, or since the last scheduled service. Web forum reports from DS and Evoque owners point to diesel dilution typically increasing at rates of between 0.5% and 1.0% per 1,000 miles extrapolated from service messages being displayed anywhere from 6000 to 12000 miles, depending on "driving style".

26-9-2017: Report of undefined rattle from September 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport. " Within days of purchase we became aware of what sounded like an engine rattle, audible at 1,600 rpm when the engine was warm. The rattle was initially diagnosed (we now believe wrongly) as a dashboard rattle by another JLR dealer. When we returned it to the selling dealer for repair we stated clearly in writing that we were not waiving our right to reject the car in accordance with our rights under consumer law which we would invoke in the event of an unsuccessful attempt at repair.‎ The repair appeared to have been successful and we enjoyed eight months of rattle-free motoring. The noise then returned in May 2017. We contacted the selling dealer again and arranged for it to be repaired in August. This time we were advised that the rattle was a recognised problem with the model and that there was a manufacturer approved fix which they would execute. (COULD THIS BE THE B PILLAR RATTLE?) Once again, however, the repair was unsuccessful and the rattle returned loud and clear the day after the car was returned to us. Interaction with JLR throughout this unpleasant experience has been unproductive. Both they and the selling dealer sought to convince us at the outset that we should not reject the car. The car has now covered 15,000 miles. They want yet another opportunity to attempt repair and refuse to tell us what they will do for us if the third attempt is again unsuccessful."

27-9-2017: Report of owner taking 8 month old Land Rover Discovery Sport into the local dealer for an Ad Blue top up only to be informed that it needed a new engine. Apparently the balancer shaft had failed. The car is now with the dealer having a new engine put in.

30-9-2017: Owner put his finger on why his Land Rover Ingenium diesel is regenerating so often. His engine went into limp mode, he called out Land Rover Assistance, and on the machanic's diagnostic screen he read that the DPF was only 20% full of soot but the "Normal Trigger for Active DPF Regeneration" field said 36%. The interval between DPF regenerations was 203 Miles and 6:48 hours which seems very low for a car that generates the majority of its mileage on motorways and trunk roads. So he thinks that the problems with diesel dilution could be down to something as simple as a trigger for Active Regeneration that has been set too low.

3-10-2017: Service compliance notification Download it here

25-10-2017: Report of 8 TSBs and recalls in total on a March 2016 LandRover Discovery Sport and now the ESR has failed requiring 8 days work to rectify.

29-10-2017: Report of annoying vibration in 2016 Land Rover Discover Sport HSE seeming to come from behind the steering column area. This only occurs after the vehicle has warmed up and done several miles, and is only there when accelerating. Car has been in to LR main dealer twice who say they can't find what causing it. Also the stop/start has stopped working.

31-10-2017: Clear explanation received from reader for the Discovery Sport and Evoque Ingenium sump oil contamination issue: "JLR has now admitted to me in writing that the DPF can never get hot enough to enable any passive regeneration to occur in "normal driving". The reason for this is that, unlike the XE/XF where the Ingenium engine is mounted in-line, on the DS and Evoque there's insufficient room between the engine and the bulkhead to fit the DPF. Therefore it had to be positioned horizontally 1 metre further back, downstream of the oxidation catalyst, a position where gas temperatures are too cold for passive regeneration to work at all - you can see the architecture very clearly on this video : / JLR engineers who came to investigate a fault with the EGR on my car said that this design problem explains the longer warm-up period for active regeneration of between 10 and 15 minutes before the HC/PM starts to burn. It then takes a further 15 to 20 minutes to complete the active regeneration giving a total time of up to 35 minutes for the whole process. So 35 minutes of post-injection every 150-200 miles is the real reason why the diesel is diluting so quickly on these vehicles and hence why the service schedule is shot to pieces. Now that this has all been confirmed and corroborated it becomes crystal clear that there is no hope of this problem ever being fixed properly - it is simply too expensive. To cap it all, in their letter JLR finally provided their customised definition of "typical driving style" - one that conveniently fits the performance limitations of the faulty DPF architecture: " 'Typical' driving style as an average across customers is journeys of 15-30 minutes with a speed between 50 km/h and 100 km/h, which includes some drives of over an hour. The exhaust temperature achieved in normal driving is low and as such there is no passive regeneration and soot must be cleared through active regeneration. " Jaguar Land Rover letter, dated 24 October 2017. Do you see why they need to include the bit about "some drives of an hour"? It's because the active regeneration (the only regen that actually works) can't complete within 30 minutes. The effects of the problem, which was originally described by the Service Compliance Notification JLRP00100, can now be fully explained in all its technical detail: it is caused by a design error, plain and simple. Once I had put all the pieces of this together I rejected my car without a moment's hesitation as faulty and not as described and I think that there will be many more doing the same before too long."

2-11-2017: JLR's response to the above: Introduction of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) for Euro stage 5 emissions regulations (European legislation governing diesels) vehicles and onwards is a method of minimising diesel particulate output which is a bi-product of combustion. Vehicle manufacturers employ the use of DPFs in diesel vehicles. This is an industry-wide technology and not limited to Land Rover vehicles. There is no design issue with the Range Rover Evoque or Discovery Sport. All Land Rovers feature intelligent engine management systems that inform owners when an action is required to protect the engine ensuring a long life.The owner handbook explains DPF cleaning as follows:- Cleaning of the exhaust filter, also known as regeneration, occurs automatically, approximately every 180 to 560 miles (300 to 900 km) depending on driving conditions, and requires the engine to reach normal operating temperature. The self-cleaning takes place when the vehicle is driven steadily at speeds between 40 mph to 70 mph (60 km/h to 112 km/h). This process normally takes 10-20 minutes. It is possible for self-cleaning to occur at lower vehicle speeds, but the process may take a little longer at a 30 mph (50 km/h) average speed. Some driving conditions, e.g., frequently driving short distances, in slow-moving traffic, or in cold weather may not provide sufficient opportunity to begin the exhaust filter self-cleaning automatically. When this occurs, a warning icon is displayed in the message centre. For an Amber warning: Exhaust filter self-cleaning is required. Driving above 40 mph (60 km/h) for 20 minutes should clean the filter. Land Rover vehicles are fit for purpose and have been engineered to the highest standards. Should any customer have any questions, they are invited to contact us on 0370 500 0500.

4-11-2017: These two videos explain how the systems work . EGR system / SCRF / DPF

5-11-2017: Report of February 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium diesel needing a first oil change at 10,000 miles, with JLR providing oils and filters FoC. F uel consumption just about reaches 30 mpg and it seems to drink Adblue.

6-11-2017: Report of failure of heating/aircon/ventilation system of Land Rover Discovery Sport, reported to dealer on 24th October. Earliest date available for repait given as December 18. Owner emailed Land Rover customer services for advice. Received automated reply stating will reply in 3 working days. To date (November 6) still no response from Land Rover.

13-11-2017: Report of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 180 reaching 8,500 and when owner turns on the ignition he gets a warning message that the car requires a service in 1,000+ miles. Same issue as above due to DPF failing to complete active regenerations. (Though had LandRover sensibly specified annual or 10,000 mile oil and filter changes, whichever comes first, this would not have happened.)

22-11-2017: Owner successfully rejected Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium diesel due to sump oil contamination issue and general unsuitability of the car for repeated short runs from cold. JLR wrote back to him that it had now revised its oil service regime from 21,000 miles to when the engine needs it, which will generally be at around 10,500 miles, and before the service indicator states it will need a full service. Spreadsheet of irnon deposits in Disco Sport Ingenioum diesel engines over time: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5379&start=1770#p78481

5-12-2017: Report of DPF regeneration problems with 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport with Ingenium diesel engine, leased to cover a mere 9000 miles a year. Currently needs the DPF filter fixing for the third time at £1350 cost to the lessee. Neither Land Rover or the lessor will do anything about his predicament. At no stage prior to taking out the lease was he told 9k wasn't enough mileage, neither was he informed prior to leasing about the possibility of issues with DPF filters. (He had never even heard of them prior to this.) Land Rover says he needs to travel further and faster, as he's not getting the engine hot enough. He is told if the warning light comes on he needs to do another 20 miles at over 40mph, immediately, which he regards as neither practical, nor fair.

17-12-2017: Complaint about Land Rover Discovery Sport with Ingenium diesel engine needing to go to the dealer for a free refill of AdBlue every 4,000 miles. Also only doing 27mpg. Owner received explanation about active regeneration from JLR as follows: "As confirmed on the telephone the 'contaminant' (in the lubrication oil) is diesel fuel. As part of the regen process, diesel is injected into the combustion chamber (post burn) so that it burns later in the exhaust - thereby regenerating the DPF. If the engine is switched off before the regen cycle is complete, any diesel fuel left in the combustion chamber will leak past the piston rings/seals into the engine sump, diluting the oil. When the dilution reaches a predetermined level, the warning light is displayed, indicating that an engine oil and filter change is required (the frequency of this is very much dependant on customer drive cycle)."

19-12-2017: Another report of rattles, this time in a January 2017 Discovery Sport HSE, first noticed in September 2017 when rattling noises started coming from both front doors and around the glove box, getting progressively worse. Returned to supplying dealer who was unable to rectify the problem, so on the 5th December it was booked into their body shop. On 19th December and the problem has still not been completely resolved. Owner loaned twqo discovery Sports in the meantime, bioth of which has similar rattles. Dealer told owner, "It has been identified there is a problem with Discovery Sports."

22-12-2017: Complaint that new Land Rover Discover Sport Si4 240HP petrol 9 speed automatic is hesitant and jerky. We thought it might be the fuel used and recommended switching to Super.

2-1-2018: LandRover Service Action SSM73697 issued. This identifies a fault with the DPF active regeneration system of some Imgenium diesel engines fitted to S=Discovery Sports.

Land Rover Service Action 2-1-2018

10-1-2018: Report of heater motor of Land Rover Discovery Sport failing due to water ingress and a shortage of parts (including modified ducting) to replace it. Apparently, LR issued a warning that there was a problem with the scuttle design and that a modified version is will be provided as a free problem fix. Delivery of same is weeks or more away, so a number of Discovery Sport are sitting at dealers waiting for parts.

15-1-2018: Complaint of poor fuel economy of new Land Rover Discovery Sport SE Tech 7-seater only averaging 33mpg v/s NEDC 53mpg. Also " every few hundred miles the DPF gets clogged up necessitating a pointless journey to clear it."

23-1-2018: Complaint of problems with DPF of Discovery Sport diesel bought December 2017: "I bought a Disco sport 150bhp 2WD one month ago. The DPF light has come on 3 times now. The 1st time after 250miles of London Driving. Regenerated it on a motorway drive at Xmas. On returning to London, within 100miles of in-town driving, on again at yellow, then to red within 2 days <20miles. Needed to take back to LandRover for a forced regeneration. Got it back 6 days ago and after 80miles of London driving (short hops all <5miles) the light is on again." See: 2-1-2018: SSM73697 "A quality concern has been identified with the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) catalytic converter and it does not align to the calibration management software for this system and therefore does not manage the soot levels as required."

2-2-2018: 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport called in for Ingenium diesel engine balancer shafts to be replaced at 9,300 miles. JLR would not advise why, but owner noticed an unusual noise. Owner has found that in other cases the entire engine has been replaced. Speculation on LandRover Discover 3 forum that possibly the DPF oil contamination issue is affecting the balancer shafts. See Recalls 19-1-2018.

14-2-2018: Series of issues reported with November 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Black reported. To date it has been in the Dealership for a cumulative total of 16 weeks. Amongst the faults have been: Reversing camera failure plus associated electronics - 7 weeks; Rear tailgate hydraulics failure; Rear brakes (Calipers, discs and pads) replaced 3 times, latest episode has been 6 weeks in Dealership; Heater failure; Rear light condensation and had to be replaced; A number of software updates, a couple of which caused further problems requiring further resolution; The rear door was also damaged on one visit requiring a re-spray.

13-3-2018: Another report of DPF problems in: /owner-reviews/land-rover/discovery-sport-2015-l550/

23-3-2018: Report of Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenim diesel 7-seater, taken delivery 30th March 2018, almost immediately running into problems: Owner left it parked for two weeks as still had company car. Started to use it 13 April when drove to Leicester then on to Norwich, then Buckinghamshire days after, which means it had a good run,. On 26 April, "engine warning light" came, followed by an amber restricted performance with intruction to run it for 20mins at 40+miles. Owner could not do that right there and then, but the next day the "restricted performance" turned red and the drive became very sluggish. Owner immediately called JLR customer assistance and which sent a JLR crew. owner was given a report with several codes including P0229 which is about the DPF., turbo, etc. OwnerI was sent to nearest JLR service ctr/dealer (but not dealer from which car was purchased, as was further away). At that point called our sales agent to inform him of the incident and verbally expressed loss of confidence in the car. But went through the servicing process. After 2 weeks, got car back. On 11 June, engine symbol came up again (after having a drive to Oxford just a week before and Alton Towers the day before that, so it had a good drive to activate DPF regeneration). Had not gone far, then the amber "restricted performance" came up. Parked the car, urned it on again and red restricted light came on. Oswner had to call JLR customer assist who asked if could wait for a JLR crew to come around 11am the next day, to which owner said could not wait. So at 11:30pm an AA crew was sent. He then gave his report, which again mentioned, P0229 amongst others. Owner immediately got in touch with Sales agent who said he would talk to their service manager. Also advised in-house finance team that partly owns the car too. Copy furnished the Finance team with all reports and correspondences. They say they will be conducting their investigation, and it usually takes 56 days before they get to a solution. Saga then went on and on and started to get legal.

24-3-2018: Transpires that the DPF active regeneration system on some Land Rover Discovery Sports fitted with Ingenium diesels is not operating correctly. One system was replaced Foc when the amber light only came on for 2.1 seconds, directly followed by the red, not giving the driver sufficient time to complete the required drive cycle to regenerate the system. See Service Action 2-1-2018.

30-3-2018: Report of April 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium diesel needing an engine oil and filter change every 3,300 miles due to oil dilution. Scheduled oil changes remain 21,000 miles (which is ridiculous). Owner being asked to fork out £240 per oil and filter change. Told his driving style is at fault.

(31-3-2018: Report that cost of misfuelling a Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2 diesel by forcing the nozzle into the misfuel prevention orifice then filling half the tank with petrol cost the owner £5,869 in rectification work.)

13-4-2018: Report of new Land Rover Discovery Sport diesel DPF "clogging up every 200 miles or so."

17-4-2018: Finally, JLR came up with a fix for the Discovery Sport B-Pillar complaint: "Having investigated a number of vehicles that exhibited the noise, we determined that there were several factors that contributed to multiple noise sources (although they sounded like a single tick in most cases). In addition to the changes made to the welds on the seat-belt reinforcement panels, we made very subtle changes to the press tools to make slight dimensional changes to a number of panels. Additionally, we re-positioned a number of welds and we extended and tuned the sealer path which changed the characteristics of the paint flow. We developed specialised, additional end-of-line testing which allowed us to find issues in plant and we put a large number of vehicles through this test without a failure before we were confident that we could release the Assured VINs. As it is understood that the noise tends to manifest itself at higher temperatures, we also put cars through our hot test chamber on a continuous basis and completed the hot climate testing on more than 300 cars before we released the Assured VINs. Finally, we have a number of markets where the higher temperatures and more arduous road conditions resulted in a much higher failure rate than in other territories. There have been no noises on cars past the Assured VINs in these territories."

24-4-2018: Report of 18 month old Land Rover Discovery Sport with 8,500 miles coveredm mainly short journeys, already needing a second oil and filter change due to sump oil contamination with diesel.

25-5-2018: Report that handover of all new Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium petrol and diesel models has been held up since 11th May 2018 due to an issue concerning ‘Incorrectly assembled oil pump’, which could result in oil pump failure. Technically it is Disco Sports with VINs in the range 748576 to 771222. Document Ref: N212 UPS5718 version 1 issued on 11-May-18 - version 2 was issued 21-5-2018 (the only change is to give a later maxium end date before another announcement i.e. before 11-Jun-18).

7-6-2018: Report that JLR has withdrawn its free intermediate oil changes where the sump oil of Ingenium diesel engines of Discovery Sports have become prematurely contaminated with diesel: " As a Service Plan has been taken out on your vehicle, any oil and filter changes that are required on your vehicle prior to a service will be covered free of charge as a goodwill gesture, providing your vehicle is within its 3 year manufacturer’s warranty. Outside of the manufacturers warranty this would need to be assessed on a case by case basis ." viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5379&sid=b6de29a43 ... 350#p91749

9-6-2018: Reports of balancer shaft issues in Ingenium diesel engines in all JLR vehicles. The full thread can be found here which includes a video of the overheated and blued shafts: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6052&start=10 / Video of shaft failure: / Landrover has been replacing engines and balancer shafts on many vehicles as per their now recently withdrawn service procedure here which lists affected VINs: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6052&start=70#p82741

18-6-2018: Reports of faults with 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport have included: 1: Leaking Tailgate; 2: Service warning light error; 3: Climate control failed; 4: StopStart Erratic; 5: Engine management light on; 6: Failed to calibrate camera after windscreen replacement; 7: Rear passenger seat rattle; 8: Hazard warning light not illuminated; 9: AEB failed to initialise; 10: Rattles from rear of the vehicle; 11: Tailgate misalignment; 11: Interference on media screen. The last fault occurred after owner got car back from dealer fixing the tailgate. Car teturend. Dealer emailed stating technician had replaced the rear view camera and had run various diagnostic tests but still could not find the cause of the interference. Had also been advised by LR technical that as car had an non OEM audio system installed, this had to be removed before any further work was done. They have also put a hold on the 2 yr warranty. Owner took car to installer of audio system who quickly diagnosed and corrected the fault, which was a poor earth lead attached to the tailgate that the dealer's tech had not found.

20-6-2018: Owner of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport reported dashboard notice that brake pads were worn at 15,000 miles. Rear discs and pads replaced under warranty because this was a known fault because of the now resourced aggressive rear pads causing premature wear of the discs. The front discs were only worn 10%.

54 complaints recorded since 17-6-2015

Recalls

10-11-2014 R/2014/091 for the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport on 10-11-2014 involving 1331 vehicles because "An internal fault can create a short circuit within the fan control module which may lead to overheating of the insulation and ultimately fire within the engine bay. This may happen with the engine switched off and possibly when the vehicle is unattended." Fix: Replace electric cooling fan assembly on affected vehicles. VINs: SALWA2PF1EA000001 to SALWA2PE9EA000061. Build dates: 09-03-2012 to 22-01-2013.

13-3-2015: Issue with 2nd row seatback electric release that first arouse 13/03/2015 and continued into June 2015 Action No.: Q477 UPS 34151. A potential concern has been identified whereby the boot actuated second row seat back electrical release system may not correctly operate.

14-9-2016: Voluntary Safety recall for Range Rover Evoque 2016 Model Year and Land Rover Discovery Sport 2016 Model Year. Engine cover to fuel line foul. "Your Land Rover authorised repairer will ensure the securing washers are pushed fully home and remove 9mm from the plastic moulded retaining posts. In addition, the tape wrapped around the fuel hose protective sleeve and the fuel hose will be visually inspected and replaced if there are signs of damage."

31-1-2017: R/2016/289: Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque with 2 ltr diesel vehicles with automatic transmission: Electical Short Circuit: It has been identified that the engine wiring harness of the 2.0ltr engined vehicles fitted with automatic transmission may have been incorrectly routed which may allow the wiring harness to contact the water charge air cooler bracket. Engine vibration can cause a chaffing condition where the outer sheathing of the cable can wear through and expose the wires of the engine harness. Depending on the orientation of the wires within the harness, then damage to wires can result in electrical arcing and a short circuit. This condition can also result in the illumination of a warning light on the instrument panel, loss of the electronic steering system, engine cut out without warning, melting of the cable sheathing and surrounding parts. Also, in extreme circumstances it can cause an under-bonnet fire. Fix: All affected vehicles will be recalled to inspect the clearance between the engine harness and water charge air cooler bracket. If the clearance is not to the correct specification the wiring harness will be repositioned and secured to ensure the specified clearance is achieved. If the engine harness shows signs of chafing the engine harness will be repaired, re-positioned to ensure the correct specification. VINs: SALVA2BN2HH168185 to SALVA5BN3HH188706 and
SALCA2AN9HH633943 to SALCA2BN2HH653045; build dates: 4-7-2016 to 10-10-2016

12-4-2017: Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB00827V6 superceded all previous TSBs to fix "Ticking Noise" from the 'B' pillar area.

28-4-2017: Land Rover Safety Related Recall PO96 issued. "Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque 2016 model year Diesel Engine Specification Vehicles - AJ200 Diesel Engine Harness Foul to Umbilical Bracket. A concern has been identified with the routing of the engine harness in that it may not provide sufficient clearance and as a result could contact the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) umbilical bracket fitted to the vehicles identified above. Vehicles included in Safety Recall PO75 (R/2016/289) have received a modification which has subsequently been determined is not durable for the life of the vehicle. As a result, engine harness contact with the EGR Umbilical Bracket can cause the wires within the engine harness protective sleeve to wear through, exposing the actual wires to short to the metal bracket added as part of the Recall PO75 (R/2016/289) repair. There is a possibility that any circuit within the engine harness could be compromised dur tp this condition resulting in a range of vehicle failure modes. Jaguar Land Rover engineers have identified that in the worst case it is possible that the vehicle engine may cut out whilst in motion. Should the engine cut out the brake vacuum reeervoir will be depleted and the brakes will lose power assistance, however foundation brakes continue to operate."

(31-12-2016: R/2016/302. Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque with 2.0 litre diesel engine: SHORT CIRCUIT MAY OCCUR. Vehicles included in safety recall R/2016/302 (P075) [Means R/2016/289] have received a modification which has subsequently been determined as not durable for the life of the vehicle. The engine harness may chafe on an engine bracket and cause engine malfunction. In extreme cases the engine may cut out. Fix: On affected vehicles inspect harness and repair as necessary. Fit new bracket and secure harness. VINs: SALVA2AN4GH079010 to SALVA2BNXGH099325 and SALCA2AN6GH545785 to SALCA2CN6GH567024. Build dates: 9-7-2015 to 16-10-2015.)

(31/12/2016: R/2016/303. Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and LandRover Discovery Sport: SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER MAY NOT DEPLOY. It has been identified by the seat belt Pre-Tensioner manufacturer that the pre-tensioner initiator generant mix ratio does not meet specification. This can therefore result in the initiator not functioning correctly, which can lead to none activation of the pre-tensioner. Fix: Recall all affected vehicles to check the pre-tensioner and if required, replace it with a new quality assured component. VINS: SALWA2EF1GA105496 to SALWG2FK8HA666936; SALGS2EF7GA304537 to SALGS2FK1HA320598; and SALCP2BGXHH636526 to SALCA2AG4HL961544. Build dates: 12-7-2016 to 26-10-2016.)

22-05-2017: R/2017/145: for the Range Rover Sport and the Discovery 2-litre diesel on 22-05-2017 involving 692 vehicles because "The fuel return hose may leak. Increased fuel odour may be noticed and drivers may also observe liquid fuel puddles underneath the vehicle. It is possible that fuel may leak onto the road surface, which can present a skid hazard to other road users increasing the risk of a crash. Should leaking fuel come into contact with a sufficiently hot surface in the engine bay there will be an increased risk of fire." Fix: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the fuel return hose. VINs: SALWA2FN5HA142204 to SALWA2FNXHA148127. Build dates: 15-02-2017 to 30-03-2017.

2-1-2018: SSM73697 "A quality concern has been identified with the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) catalytic converter and it does not align to the calibration management software for this system and therefore does not manage the soot levels as required."

19-1-2018: LandRover Service Action N128 announced concerning balancer shaft whine.

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:11 pm

PhilMabbots17 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 pm
To be fair, it's not just users of this forum. There are more than 6,500 words of complaint on Honest John alone, which takes 10 pages of A4 to print off. This is an unprecedented "achievement" and it demonstrates clearly that this is much more than a whinge about the diesel issue described in JLRP00100. I wish everyone with one of these cars the best of luck but the evidence that the car is a potential liability cannot be denied. Potential owners ought to know this.
Interior build quality could be better, especially the B Pillars.

Early (2015) Ford 2.2-litre SD4 engine has high running costs.

Ride is firm at low speeds.

Early (2017) production Land Rover Discovery Sport with the Igenium petrol engines cannot accommodate a spare wheel because of the configuration of the exhaust system. Happily, from 11th September 2017, the Reduced Section Spare Wheel (029NZ) becsme available to order for an Si4 240HP and 290HP Petrol engines.

17-6-2015: Complaint of new Discovery Sport inducing snake every time a truck is overtaken on the motorway. Did not happen with same caravan and previous Freelander II. Suggests fault with towbar fitting, towing electronics or tyres, especially if the ESC is not properly set for towing.

7-8-2015: HonestJohn.co.uk test car suffered from a loud engine vibration and seats that creaked as you tackled tight bends.

25-8-2015: Apparently DAB reception of BBC Radio 3 is poor and patchy. May be due to using the latest DAB system. Will still get BBC Radio 3 on FM.

7-9-2015: Was an issue with the second row seat folding mechanism that has lead to large mumbers of disignated LandRover Discovery Sports being quarantined before delivery (see Recalls).

7-9-2015: Latest issue with Land Rover Discovery Sports resulting in quarantine seems to be something to do with the EU6 Certification of the AdBlue SCR system for the Ingenium diesels in Discovery Sports.

23-10-2015: Dealer held back delivery of Discovery Sport because found a fault with the wiring loom during the pre-delivery inspection. Dealers words: "could cause a fire and wreck the engine". Maybe a one-off.

6-11-2015: Stop-start of three week old Discovery Sport auto with Ingenium diesel shut down engine at traffic lights, then shut down entire car.

2-12-2015: Another report of stop-start of same October 2015 Discovery Sport shutting down whole car. The gear knob disappears, all the lights go out, etc. Waiting for traffic lights to turn green on a hill in Drive with foot on the brake, when lights changed driver put my foot down on the accelerator to move off and instead the car rolled backwards. He went into neutral then back into drive while with his foot on the brake, then put his foot on the accelerator and again the car rolled backwards. He turned the engine off and back on again and all was ok. Eventually the Land Rover dealer relented and accepted rejection of the car.

18-12-2015: Report of several interior noises in 2015 Discovery Sport bought March 2015 2015, from leaving the showroom. The car has been back with the dealer 4 times and they now say they cannot get rid of the noises. Car now has 10k miles.

10-3-2016: Another reader (with 35 years of caravan towing experience) reported instability when towing with a 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport. Same 4 year old caravan with which had no instability problems with previous car.

19-6-2016: Clarification of interior noises (18-12-2015). Originally the fault was tied down to a limited range of vehicles. However, the LBT00827 fix has now extended to 2015 onwards with no end in sight. Customers are buying band new cars and having to get invasive chiseling of B-Pillar and drilling out welds and rewelding to the car within weeks of purchase.

16-7-2016: Report of tailgate of brand new Discovery Sport failing to close properly and therefore won't lock. Dealer supposedly fixed it at delivery but keeps recurring.

2-9-2016: Complaint of severe vibration from Land Rover Discovery Sport diesel bought new in March 2016. Back to dealer 4 times total 11 days for vibrations from accelerator, steering column, drivers floorpan, Centre console and centre armrest. Both local dealer and supplying dealer tell owner that "It’s a characteristic of the new diesel engine."LR Customer Relations refer owner back to dealer. See 9-6-2016. and 18-12-2015.

20-9-2016: Report of various problems with new Land Rover Discovery Sport purchased 22-7-2016. On driving home from dealership discovered that wheel arches were so badly fitted they were rubbing on the inside of the wheels. Temporary fix by the AA. Booked into dealer to be fixed on 11th August then on 10th August dealer cancelled the booking. rebooked for 30th August. 24th August load squeak from load area added to faults now poor fitting trim front wing to door, wheel arches, missing bolts in the rear bumper. Car returned on 30th August, now with a badly repaired scratch on the hatchback. Car returned to dealer again on 1-9-2016 for warranty cork to be completed and hatch lid repaired. Car returned 6th September with poor quality repairs. 16-9-2016 rattle from B pillar (see 19-6-2016).

1-12-2016: Latest on Land Rover Discovery Sport B-Pillar ticking/rattle is that one reader had rejected her second Discovery Sport for this fault. Technical bulletin for original 3-stage fix was LBT00827. This week, JLR released an updated fix for the issue. As well as the previous drilling out of existing welds and re-welding of the B-Pillar, they are now riveting the seat belt anchor points.

3-1-2017: Smoke from engine compartment of new Land Rover Discovery Sport purchased on 19/12/16 had to be recovered after less than 250 miles. Dealer told owner the car's turbo was faulty and needs replacing. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 he could, theoretically, reject the car.

25-1-2017: More on the Land Rover Discovery heater motor issue: Since reported on 10-1-2018 the car has been parked at the Didcot dealership along with 11 others, all with the same fault and all awaiting modified scuttles with no news as of today as to when they will all be fixed. Seems rainwater has been routed into the blower motor via the scuttles and shorts it out. Dealer reckons there must be a large number of 2017 Disco Sports in the same position across the country.

27-2-2017: Complaint of Land Rover Discovery Sport failing to respond to lifting off accelerator. Dealer agreed to a refund but only on the basis of 75p/mile for the 3,500 miles the car has done.

6-3-2017: Forum thread on the Land Rover Discovery Sport B-Pillar problem: http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewt ... =12&t=4485

14-4-2017: Report that January 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport with 2.0 Ingenium diesel engine went in for its first service in March 2017. During this the dealer detected an engine noise (of which the owner was unaware). Dealer said that he neaded to change the turbo. Dealer was not satisfied with the results and then persuaded LandRover to change the engine.

16-4-2017: Report that "poor" fuel economy of Land Rover Discovery Sport of 40mpg over its first 1,500 miles turned out to be due to a faulty engine management system that was replaced, resulting in a significant improvement in fuel economy.

17-4-2017: Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB00827V6 received concerning fixed for the 'B' Pillar rattle and superceding all previous TSBs about this issue. Extracts include: "Using a suitable tool, strike the panel inwards over the highlighted area shown. The panel should be struck with as much force as can safely be applies. repeat along the highlighted area shown. This will eliminate the noise from this area." "Using a suitable hammer, insert the suitable chisel between the inner 'B' pillar and the cant rail, to a maximum depth of 20mm. This will eliminate the noise from this area." CAUTIONS "Make sure no damage is caused to the vehicle."

19-6-2017: Report of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport being rejected and replaced by LandRover dealer "due to a significant number of defects." The replacement also has significant problems, which the dealership accepts and has attempted to fix on two occasions and is still trying. Owner wants to reject the replacement also as it has been in the dealership for 6 weeks followed by 2 weeks back at Halewood. The dealership is offering a refund £5,854 less than what the owner originally paid in 2016.

29-6-2017: At 5000 miles, engine oil of Ingenium diesel engine of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport found to be contaminated by diesel 4.2% by volume from active regenerations of the DPF against a maximum permissible of 7%. Dealer reset the service interval indicator under warranty from 8,350 additional miles to 19,850 additional miles and told owner in writing that he should stick to the standard intervals, i.e. the first oil service to be done at 21,000 miles total, or 2 years whichever came first. Also told him he should ignore the service interval mileage indicator and only take it for an oil change if the car requests one due to the diesel contamination rising towards maximum. They quoted £528.66 for a full service includeing an oil and filter change and would not varry out an oil and flter change alone.

24-7-2017: Report that side protection mouldings (a dealer fit) on Land Rover Discovery Sports are not compatible with the optional wade height sensors that then think the car is at its maximum wading depth even when standing on dry land.

7-9-2017: B-pillar rattle still seems to be a serious issue, not properly rectified in production. Link to more then 60 angry owners on Discovery Sport forum: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4278

11-9-2017: Report of repeated transmission trouble with December 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport, purchased at four months old as an ex-demo. It has had three separate incidents of gearbox/selector fault, the last one involved seizing up whilst travelling at approx 30mph.

15-9-2017: According to a July 2017 Service Compliance Notification sent out by Jaguar Land Rover, 16MY and 17MY Discovery Sport (DS) and Range Rover Evoque 2.0L Ingenium Diesel vehicles (EU6b Market) are suffering from premature diesel dilution of the engine oil due to a "higher than expected" number of DPF regeneration cycles. The root cause of the problem lies in hardware and architecture issues ("differences") which were seemingly not addressed when the Ingenium engine was migrated from the Jaguar product line to the Land Rover SUV models. Consequently, DS and Evoque vehicles require a higher amount of post-injection activity in order to achieve the same carbon burn rate, compared to the similar 2.0L diesel when fitted in the XE and XF. A service indicator informs drivers that an interim oil service is required when oil dilution hits 6.1% and, based on owners' personal reports, this normally happens anywhere between 6,000 miles and 12,000 miles, against a nominal service interval of every 21,000 miles or 2 years. JLR is currently operating a "goodwill" campaign under which owners of Evoque and DS vehicles registered before 1st June 2017 will obtain the interim oil and filter changes free of charge, so long as the service indicator comes on before 15,750 miles from new, or since the last scheduled service. Web forum reports from DS and Evoque owners point to diesel dilution typically increasing at rates of between 0.5% and 1.0% per 1,000 miles extrapolated from service messages being displayed anywhere from 6000 to 12000 miles, depending on "driving style".

26-9-2017: Report of undefined rattle from September 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport. " Within days of purchase we became aware of what sounded like an engine rattle, audible at 1,600 rpm when the engine was warm. The rattle was initially diagnosed (we now believe wrongly) as a dashboard rattle by another JLR dealer. When we returned it to the selling dealer for repair we stated clearly in writing that we were not waiving our right to reject the car in accordance with our rights under consumer law which we would invoke in the event of an unsuccessful attempt at repair.‎ The repair appeared to have been successful and we enjoyed eight months of rattle-free motoring. The noise then returned in May 2017. We contacted the selling dealer again and arranged for it to be repaired in August. This time we were advised that the rattle was a recognised problem with the model and that there was a manufacturer approved fix which they would execute. (COULD THIS BE THE B PILLAR RATTLE?) Once again, however, the repair was unsuccessful and the rattle returned loud and clear the day after the car was returned to us. Interaction with JLR throughout this unpleasant experience has been unproductive. Both they and the selling dealer sought to convince us at the outset that we should not reject the car. The car has now covered 15,000 miles. They want yet another opportunity to attempt repair and refuse to tell us what they will do for us if the third attempt is again unsuccessful."

27-9-2017: Report of owner taking 8 month old Land Rover Discovery Sport into the local dealer for an Ad Blue top up only to be informed that it needed a new engine. Apparently the balancer shaft had failed. The car is now with the dealer having a new engine put in.

30-9-2017: Owner put his finger on why his Land Rover Ingenium diesel is regenerating so often. His engine went into limp mode, he called out Land Rover Assistance, and on the machanic's diagnostic screen he read that the DPF was only 20% full of soot but the "Normal Trigger for Active DPF Regeneration" field said 36%. The interval between DPF regenerations was 203 Miles and 6:48 hours which seems very low for a car that generates the majority of its mileage on motorways and trunk roads. So he thinks that the problems with diesel dilution could be down to something as simple as a trigger for Active Regeneration that has been set too low.

3-10-2017: Service compliance notification Download it here

25-10-2017: Report of 8 TSBs and recalls in total on a March 2016 LandRover Discovery Sport and now the ESR has failed requiring 8 days work to rectify.

29-10-2017: Report of annoying vibration in 2016 Land Rover Discover Sport HSE seeming to come from behind the steering column area. This only occurs after the vehicle has warmed up and done several miles, and is only there when accelerating. Car has been in to LR main dealer twice who say they can't find what causing it. Also the stop/start has stopped working.

31-10-2017: Clear explanation received from reader for the Discovery Sport and Evoque Ingenium sump oil contamination issue: "JLR has now admitted to me in writing that the DPF can never get hot enough to enable any passive regeneration to occur in "normal driving". The reason for this is that, unlike the XE/XF where the Ingenium engine is mounted in-line, on the DS and Evoque there's insufficient room between the engine and the bulkhead to fit the DPF. Therefore it had to be positioned horizontally 1 metre further back, downstream of the oxidation catalyst, a position where gas temperatures are too cold for passive regeneration to work at all - you can see the architecture very clearly on this video : / JLR engineers who came to investigate a fault with the EGR on my car said that this design problem explains the longer warm-up period for active regeneration of between 10 and 15 minutes before the HC/PM starts to burn. It then takes a further 15 to 20 minutes to complete the active regeneration giving a total time of up to 35 minutes for the whole process. So 35 minutes of post-injection every 150-200 miles is the real reason why the diesel is diluting so quickly on these vehicles and hence why the service schedule is shot to pieces. Now that this has all been confirmed and corroborated it becomes crystal clear that there is no hope of this problem ever being fixed properly - it is simply too expensive. To cap it all, in their letter JLR finally provided their customised definition of "typical driving style" - one that conveniently fits the performance limitations of the faulty DPF architecture: " 'Typical' driving style as an average across customers is journeys of 15-30 minutes with a speed between 50 km/h and 100 km/h, which includes some drives of over an hour. The exhaust temperature achieved in normal driving is low and as such there is no passive regeneration and soot must be cleared through active regeneration. " Jaguar Land Rover letter, dated 24 October 2017. Do you see why they need to include the bit about "some drives of an hour"? It's because the active regeneration (the only regen that actually works) can't complete within 30 minutes. The effects of the problem, which was originally described by the Service Compliance Notification JLRP00100, can now be fully explained in all its technical detail: it is caused by a design error, plain and simple. Once I had put all the pieces of this together I rejected my car without a moment's hesitation as faulty and not as described and I think that there will be many more doing the same before too long."

2-11-2017: JLR's response to the above: Introduction of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) for Euro stage 5 emissions regulations (European legislation governing diesels) vehicles and onwards is a method of minimising diesel particulate output which is a bi-product of combustion. Vehicle manufacturers employ the use of DPFs in diesel vehicles. This is an industry-wide technology and not limited to Land Rover vehicles. There is no design issue with the Range Rover Evoque or Discovery Sport. All Land Rovers feature intelligent engine management systems that inform owners when an action is required to protect the engine ensuring a long life.The owner handbook explains DPF cleaning as follows:- Cleaning of the exhaust filter, also known as regeneration, occurs automatically, approximately every 180 to 560 miles (300 to 900 km) depending on driving conditions, and requires the engine to reach normal operating temperature. The self-cleaning takes place when the vehicle is driven steadily at speeds between 40 mph to 70 mph (60 km/h to 112 km/h). This process normally takes 10-20 minutes. It is possible for self-cleaning to occur at lower vehicle speeds, but the process may take a little longer at a 30 mph (50 km/h) average speed. Some driving conditions, e.g., frequently driving short distances, in slow-moving traffic, or in cold weather may not provide sufficient opportunity to begin the exhaust filter self-cleaning automatically. When this occurs, a warning icon is displayed in the message centre. For an Amber warning: Exhaust filter self-cleaning is required. Driving above 40 mph (60 km/h) for 20 minutes should clean the filter. Land Rover vehicles are fit for purpose and have been engineered to the highest standards. Should any customer have any questions, they are invited to contact us on 0370 500 0500.

4-11-2017: These two videos explain how the systems work . EGR system / SCRF / DPF

5-11-2017: Report of February 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium diesel needing a first oil change at 10,000 miles, with JLR providing oils and filters FoC. F uel consumption just about reaches 30 mpg and it seems to drink Adblue.

6-11-2017: Report of failure of heating/aircon/ventilation system of Land Rover Discovery Sport, reported to dealer on 24th October. Earliest date available for repait given as December 18. Owner emailed Land Rover customer services for advice. Received automated reply stating will reply in 3 working days. To date (November 6) still no response from Land Rover.

13-11-2017: Report of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 180 reaching 8,500 and when owner turns on the ignition he gets a warning message that the car requires a service in 1,000+ miles. Same issue as above due to DPF failing to complete active regenerations. (Though had LandRover sensibly specified annual or 10,000 mile oil and filter changes, whichever comes first, this would not have happened.)

22-11-2017: Owner successfully rejected Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium diesel due to sump oil contamination issue and general unsuitability of the car for repeated short runs from cold. JLR wrote back to him that it had now revised its oil service regime from 21,000 miles to when the engine needs it, which will generally be at around 10,500 miles, and before the service indicator states it will need a full service. Spreadsheet of irnon deposits in Disco Sport Ingenioum diesel engines over time: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5379&start=1770#p78481

5-12-2017: Report of DPF regeneration problems with 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport with Ingenium diesel engine, leased to cover a mere 9000 miles a year. Currently needs the DPF filter fixing for the third time at £1350 cost to the lessee. Neither Land Rover or the lessor will do anything about his predicament. At no stage prior to taking out the lease was he told 9k wasn't enough mileage, neither was he informed prior to leasing about the possibility of issues with DPF filters. (He had never even heard of them prior to this.) Land Rover says he needs to travel further and faster, as he's not getting the engine hot enough. He is told if the warning light comes on he needs to do another 20 miles at over 40mph, immediately, which he regards as neither practical, nor fair.

17-12-2017: Complaint about Land Rover Discovery Sport with Ingenium diesel engine needing to go to the dealer for a free refill of AdBlue every 4,000 miles. Also only doing 27mpg. Owner received explanation about active regeneration from JLR as follows: "As confirmed on the telephone the 'contaminant' (in the lubrication oil) is diesel fuel. As part of the regen process, diesel is injected into the combustion chamber (post burn) so that it burns later in the exhaust - thereby regenerating the DPF. If the engine is switched off before the regen cycle is complete, any diesel fuel left in the combustion chamber will leak past the piston rings/seals into the engine sump, diluting the oil. When the dilution reaches a predetermined level, the warning light is displayed, indicating that an engine oil and filter change is required (the frequency of this is very much dependant on customer drive cycle)."

19-12-2017: Another report of rattles, this time in a January 2017 Discovery Sport HSE, first noticed in September 2017 when rattling noises started coming from both front doors and around the glove box, getting progressively worse. Returned to supplying dealer who was unable to rectify the problem, so on the 5th December it was booked into their body shop. On 19th December and the problem has still not been completely resolved. Owner loaned twqo discovery Sports in the meantime, bioth of which has similar rattles. Dealer told owner, "It has been identified there is a problem with Discovery Sports."

22-12-2017: Complaint that new Land Rover Discover Sport Si4 240HP petrol 9 speed automatic is hesitant and jerky. We thought it might be the fuel used and recommended switching to Super.

2-1-2018: LandRover Service Action SSM73697 issued. This identifies a fault with the DPF active regeneration system of some Imgenium diesel engines fitted to S=Discovery Sports.

Land Rover Service Action 2-1-2018

10-1-2018: Report of heater motor of Land Rover Discovery Sport failing due to water ingress and a shortage of parts (including modified ducting) to replace it. Apparently, LR issued a warning that there was a problem with the scuttle design and that a modified version is will be provided as a free problem fix. Delivery of same is weeks or more away, so a number of Discovery Sport are sitting at dealers waiting for parts.

15-1-2018: Complaint of poor fuel economy of new Land Rover Discovery Sport SE Tech 7-seater only averaging 33mpg v/s NEDC 53mpg. Also " every few hundred miles the DPF gets clogged up necessitating a pointless journey to clear it."

23-1-2018: Complaint of problems with DPF of Discovery Sport diesel bought December 2017: "I bought a Disco sport 150bhp 2WD one month ago. The DPF light has come on 3 times now. The 1st time after 250miles of London Driving. Regenerated it on a motorway drive at Xmas. On returning to London, within 100miles of in-town driving, on again at yellow, then to red within 2 days <20miles. Needed to take back to LandRover for a forced regeneration. Got it back 6 days ago and after 80miles of London driving (short hops all <5miles) the light is on again." See: 2-1-2018: SSM73697 "A quality concern has been identified with the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) catalytic converter and it does not align to the calibration management software for this system and therefore does not manage the soot levels as required."

2-2-2018: 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport called in for Ingenium diesel engine balancer shafts to be replaced at 9,300 miles. JLR would not advise why, but owner noticed an unusual noise. Owner has found that in other cases the entire engine has been replaced. Speculation on LandRover Discover 3 forum that possibly the DPF oil contamination issue is affecting the balancer shafts. See Recalls 19-1-2018.

14-2-2018: Series of issues reported with November 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Black reported. To date it has been in the Dealership for a cumulative total of 16 weeks. Amongst the faults have been: Reversing camera failure plus associated electronics - 7 weeks; Rear tailgate hydraulics failure; Rear brakes (Calipers, discs and pads) replaced 3 times, latest episode has been 6 weeks in Dealership; Heater failure; Rear light condensation and had to be replaced; A number of software updates, a couple of which caused further problems requiring further resolution; The rear door was also damaged on one visit requiring a re-spray.

13-3-2018: Another report of DPF problems in: /owner-reviews/land-rover/discovery-sport-2015-l550/

23-3-2018: Report of Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenim diesel 7-seater, taken delivery 30th March 2018, almost immediately running into problems: Owner left it parked for two weeks as still had company car. Started to use it 13 April when drove to Leicester then on to Norwich, then Buckinghamshire days after, which means it had a good run,. On 26 April, "engine warning light" came, followed by an amber restricted performance with intruction to run it for 20mins at 40+miles. Owner could not do that right there and then, but the next day the "restricted performance" turned red and the drive became very sluggish. Owner immediately called JLR customer assistance and which sent a JLR crew. owner was given a report with several codes including P0229 which is about the DPF., turbo, etc. OwnerI was sent to nearest JLR service ctr/dealer (but not dealer from which car was purchased, as was further away). At that point called our sales agent to inform him of the incident and verbally expressed loss of confidence in the car. But went through the servicing process. After 2 weeks, got car back. On 11 June, engine symbol came up again (after having a drive to Oxford just a week before and Alton Towers the day before that, so it had a good drive to activate DPF regeneration). Had not gone far, then the amber "restricted performance" came up. Parked the car, urned it on again and red restricted light came on. Oswner had to call JLR customer assist who asked if could wait for a JLR crew to come around 11am the next day, to which owner said could not wait. So at 11:30pm an AA crew was sent. He then gave his report, which again mentioned, P0229 amongst others. Owner immediately got in touch with Sales agent who said he would talk to their service manager. Also advised in-house finance team that partly owns the car too. Copy furnished the Finance team with all reports and correspondences. They say they will be conducting their investigation, and it usually takes 56 days before they get to a solution. Saga then went on and on and started to get legal.

24-3-2018: Transpires that the DPF active regeneration system on some Land Rover Discovery Sports fitted with Ingenium diesels is not operating correctly. One system was replaced Foc when the amber light only came on for 2.1 seconds, directly followed by the red, not giving the driver sufficient time to complete the required drive cycle to regenerate the system. See Service Action 2-1-2018.

30-3-2018: Report of April 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium diesel needing an engine oil and filter change every 3,300 miles due to oil dilution. Scheduled oil changes remain 21,000 miles (which is ridiculous). Owner being asked to fork out £240 per oil and filter change. Told his driving style is at fault.

(31-3-2018: Report that cost of misfuelling a Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2 diesel by forcing the nozzle into the misfuel prevention orifice then filling half the tank with petrol cost the owner £5,869 in rectification work.)

13-4-2018: Report of new Land Rover Discovery Sport diesel DPF "clogging up every 200 miles or so."

17-4-2018: Finally, JLR came up with a fix for the Discovery Sport B-Pillar complaint: "Having investigated a number of vehicles that exhibited the noise, we determined that there were several factors that contributed to multiple noise sources (although they sounded like a single tick in most cases). In addition to the changes made to the welds on the seat-belt reinforcement panels, we made very subtle changes to the press tools to make slight dimensional changes to a number of panels. Additionally, we re-positioned a number of welds and we extended and tuned the sealer path which changed the characteristics of the paint flow. We developed specialised, additional end-of-line testing which allowed us to find issues in plant and we put a large number of vehicles through this test without a failure before we were confident that we could release the Assured VINs. As it is understood that the noise tends to manifest itself at higher temperatures, we also put cars through our hot test chamber on a continuous basis and completed the hot climate testing on more than 300 cars before we released the Assured VINs. Finally, we have a number of markets where the higher temperatures and more arduous road conditions resulted in a much higher failure rate than in other territories. There have been no noises on cars past the Assured VINs in these territories."

24-4-2018: Report of 18 month old Land Rover Discovery Sport with 8,500 miles coveredm mainly short journeys, already needing a second oil and filter change due to sump oil contamination with diesel.

25-5-2018: Report that handover of all new Land Rover Discovery Sport Ingenium petrol and diesel models has been held up since 11th May 2018 due to an issue concerning ‘Incorrectly assembled oil pump’, which could result in oil pump failure. Technically it is Disco Sports with VINs in the range 748576 to 771222. Document Ref: N212 UPS5718 version 1 issued on 11-May-18 - version 2 was issued 21-5-2018 (the only change is to give a later maxium end date before another announcement i.e. before 11-Jun-18).

7-6-2018: Report that JLR has withdrawn its free intermediate oil changes where the sump oil of Ingenium diesel engines of Discovery Sports have become prematurely contaminated with diesel: " As a Service Plan has been taken out on your vehicle, any oil and filter changes that are required on your vehicle prior to a service will be covered free of charge as a goodwill gesture, providing your vehicle is within its 3 year manufacturer’s warranty. Outside of the manufacturers warranty this would need to be assessed on a case by case basis ." viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5379&sid=b6de29a43 ... 350#p91749

9-6-2018: Reports of balancer shaft issues in Ingenium diesel engines in all JLR vehicles. The full thread can be found here which includes a video of the overheated and blued shafts: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6052&start=10 / Video of shaft failure: / Landrover has been replacing engines and balancer shafts on many vehicles as per their now recently withdrawn service procedure here which lists affected VINs: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6052&start=70#p82741

18-6-2018: Reports of faults with 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport have included: 1: Leaking Tailgate; 2: Service warning light error; 3: Climate control failed; 4: StopStart Erratic; 5: Engine management light on; 6: Failed to calibrate camera after windscreen replacement; 7: Rear passenger seat rattle; 8: Hazard warning light not illuminated; 9: AEB failed to initialise; 10: Rattles from rear of the vehicle; 11: Tailgate misalignment; 11: Interference on media screen. The last fault occurred after owner got car back from dealer fixing the tailgate. Car teturend. Dealer emailed stating technician had replaced the rear view camera and had run various diagnostic tests but still could not find the cause of the interference. Had also been advised by LR technical that as car had an non OEM audio system installed, this had to be removed before any further work was done. They have also put a hold on the 2 yr warranty. Owner took car to installer of audio system who quickly diagnosed and corrected the fault, which was a poor earth lead attached to the tailgate that the dealer's tech had not found.

20-6-2018: Owner of 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport reported dashboard notice that brake pads were worn at 15,000 miles. Rear discs and pads replaced under warranty because this was a known fault because of the now resourced aggressive rear pads causing premature wear of the discs. The front discs were only worn 10%.

54 complaints recorded since 17-6-2015

Recalls

10-11-2014 R/2014/091 for the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport on 10-11-2014 involving 1331 vehicles because "An internal fault can create a short circuit within the fan control module which may lead to overheating of the insulation and ultimately fire within the engine bay. This may happen with the engine switched off and possibly when the vehicle is unattended." Fix: Replace electric cooling fan assembly on affected vehicles. VINs: SALWA2PF1EA000001 to SALWA2PE9EA000061. Build dates: 09-03-2012 to 22-01-2013.

13-3-2015: Issue with 2nd row seatback electric release that first arouse 13/03/2015 and continued into June 2015 Action No.: Q477 UPS 34151. A potential concern has been identified whereby the boot actuated second row seat back electrical release system may not correctly operate.

14-9-2016: Voluntary Safety recall for Range Rover Evoque 2016 Model Year and Land Rover Discovery Sport 2016 Model Year. Engine cover to fuel line foul. "Your Land Rover authorised repairer will ensure the securing washers are pushed fully home and remove 9mm from the plastic moulded retaining posts. In addition, the tape wrapped around the fuel hose protective sleeve and the fuel hose will be visually inspected and replaced if there are signs of damage."

31-1-2017: R/2016/289: Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque with 2 ltr diesel vehicles with automatic transmission: Electical Short Circuit: It has been identified that the engine wiring harness of the 2.0ltr engined vehicles fitted with automatic transmission may have been incorrectly routed which may allow the wiring harness to contact the water charge air cooler bracket. Engine vibration can cause a chaffing condition where the outer sheathing of the cable can wear through and expose the wires of the engine harness. Depending on the orientation of the wires within the harness, then damage to wires can result in electrical arcing and a short circuit. This condition can also result in the illumination of a warning light on the instrument panel, loss of the electronic steering system, engine cut out without warning, melting of the cable sheathing and surrounding parts. Also, in extreme circumstances it can cause an under-bonnet fire. Fix: All affected vehicles will be recalled to inspect the clearance between the engine harness and water charge air cooler bracket. If the clearance is not to the correct specification the wiring harness will be repositioned and secured to ensure the specified clearance is achieved. If the engine harness shows signs of chafing the engine harness will be repaired, re-positioned to ensure the correct specification. VINs: SALVA2BN2HH168185 to SALVA5BN3HH188706 and
SALCA2AN9HH633943 to SALCA2BN2HH653045; build dates: 4-7-2016 to 10-10-2016

12-4-2017: Land Rover Technical Bulletin LTB00827V6 superceded all previous TSBs to fix "Ticking Noise" from the 'B' pillar area.

28-4-2017: Land Rover Safety Related Recall PO96 issued. "Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque 2016 model year Diesel Engine Specification Vehicles - AJ200 Diesel Engine Harness Foul to Umbilical Bracket. A concern has been identified with the routing of the engine harness in that it may not provide sufficient clearance and as a result could contact the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR) umbilical bracket fitted to the vehicles identified above. Vehicles included in Safety Recall PO75 (R/2016/289) have received a modification which has subsequently been determined is not durable for the life of the vehicle. As a result, engine harness contact with the EGR Umbilical Bracket can cause the wires within the engine harness protective sleeve to wear through, exposing the actual wires to short to the metal bracket added as part of the Recall PO75 (R/2016/289) repair. There is a possibility that any circuit within the engine harness could be compromised dur tp this condition resulting in a range of vehicle failure modes. Jaguar Land Rover engineers have identified that in the worst case it is possible that the vehicle engine may cut out whilst in motion. Should the engine cut out the brake vacuum reeervoir will be depleted and the brakes will lose power assistance, however foundation brakes continue to operate."

(31-12-2016: R/2016/302. Land Rover Discovery Sport, Range Rover Evoque with 2.0 litre diesel engine: SHORT CIRCUIT MAY OCCUR. Vehicles included in safety recall R/2016/302 (P075) [Means R/2016/289] have received a modification which has subsequently been determined as not durable for the life of the vehicle. The engine harness may chafe on an engine bracket and cause engine malfunction. In extreme cases the engine may cut out. Fix: On affected vehicles inspect harness and repair as necessary. Fit new bracket and secure harness. VINs: SALVA2AN4GH079010 to SALVA2BNXGH099325 and SALCA2AN6GH545785 to SALCA2CN6GH567024. Build dates: 9-7-2015 to 16-10-2015.)

(31/12/2016: R/2016/303. Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and LandRover Discovery Sport: SEAT BELT PRETENSIONER MAY NOT DEPLOY. It has been identified by the seat belt Pre-Tensioner manufacturer that the pre-tensioner initiator generant mix ratio does not meet specification. This can therefore result in the initiator not functioning correctly, which can lead to none activation of the pre-tensioner. Fix: Recall all affected vehicles to check the pre-tensioner and if required, replace it with a new quality assured component. VINS: SALWA2EF1GA105496 to SALWG2FK8HA666936; SALGS2EF7GA304537 to SALGS2FK1HA320598; and SALCP2BGXHH636526 to SALCA2AG4HL961544. Build dates: 12-7-2016 to 26-10-2016.)

22-05-2017: R/2017/145: for the Range Rover Sport and the Discovery 2-litre diesel on 22-05-2017 involving 692 vehicles because "The fuel return hose may leak. Increased fuel odour may be noticed and drivers may also observe liquid fuel puddles underneath the vehicle. It is possible that fuel may leak onto the road surface, which can present a skid hazard to other road users increasing the risk of a crash. Should leaking fuel come into contact with a sufficiently hot surface in the engine bay there will be an increased risk of fire." Fix: Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the fuel return hose. VINs: SALWA2FN5HA142204 to SALWA2FNXHA148127. Build dates: 15-02-2017 to 30-03-2017.

2-1-2018: SSM73697 "A quality concern has been identified with the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) catalytic converter and it does not align to the calibration management software for this system and therefore does not manage the soot levels as required."

19-1-2018: LandRover Service Action N128 announced concerning balancer shaft whine.

HOWEVER, the Mercedes GLC has also had a lot of bad press on HJ. 2,600 words!

:shock:

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:00 am

Every car is a 'potential liability', most of the HJ epic is the same issue (75% DPF?). If you're not regularly doing high miles, buy a petrol. Doesn't matter a jot you've just done a 200 mile motorway trip ('plenty of time for a regen'), if the filter is full on the trip to the shops the next day, it needs a regen.

People on here gush over the towing ability, the b pillar's sorted it seems, the heater fan can seize and yes, there are other issues that apparently randomly occur. I've had none of them (never towed anything bar a bike rack mind). Just because a few people had issues and are vocal on here doesn't mean the cars a crock. How many hundreds of thousands have they made? And how many doomsayers (why DO they hang around)? Read the forum, think about the statistics and make your own mind up.
Last edited by Dashnine on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

Return to “Introductions”