Bye Audi, hello Landi

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
TimK

Bye Audi, hello Landi

Post by TimK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:25 pm

Hello all,
Before committing to a Discovery Sport and before joining the forum, I spent a good few hours reading forum posts, so thank you all for sharing your experience and advice - it really does help those trying to get a real-world perspective.

I’ve just returned from my local(ish) dealership (60 miles away), having put a deposit on a 6k miles, DS SE Tech auto (Corris Grey, Cirrus leather, panoramic roof and reversing camera). It was a pretty good deal, but means that I now have to part with my lovely little Audi A3 sportback Tiptronic (184 hp, Quattro, S-Line, adaptive cruise). Despite being a cracking car, since I moved to a small village on the West Coast of Scotland a few ago, the ‘rollerskate’ as a local farmer calls it, has been shaken to bits and generally bashed about over the ruts and potholes on what pass for roads around here. I needed something that could give me a classy, refined experience but not get beaten up by the scenery. So, although I’m going to miss the adaptive cruise control, a Discovery Sport it is. I collect it next week. Hope the Audi stays together until then...

Cheers
MY17 DS SE Tech 180 Auto. Corris Grey/Lunar leather. Privacy glass. Pano sun roof. 19” wheels.

Chippy

Re: Bye Audi, hello Landi

Post by Chippy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Welcome Tim. The DS is certainly a completely different animal that your A3 Sportback. Enjoy it when you get it.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Adi55

Post by Adi55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Welcome on board Tim, I went from a Audi A5 sportback to my DS and have no regrets and love it.
You will find the space & driving position loads better, feel much safer on the roads and less shaken going over those ruts 😀
MY17 SE Tech Santorini black
Full leather + Pan roof

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Welcome
Yes the DS does smooth out the rough and ready roads , not just Scotland either , seems potholes are now the norm wherever we go.
I wonder where all our VED goes .....
MY17 DS HSE 180 manual Firenze/Almond,10 way Mem seats, Priv glass,Active xenon, surround cam. Space saver wheel, gloss grey wheels.
My16.5 DS Se Tech 180 b pillar tick - rejected :oops:
My16 DS Se Tech180 Tracker Cut main loom = rejected :oops:

Les

Post by Les » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 am

Welcome TimK,
Lots of great info on here, enjoy the DS once it arrives next week.
2015 HSE Lux, Auto, 5+2, Kaikoura Stone/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony Windsor 10 way seats, 20 inch 511 Wheels, Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Privacy Glass, InControlTM, Service Pack, Williams ceramic coating

TimK

Post by TimK » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:32 pm

So, the deed is done. I’m now the proud owner of a Discovery Sport. After picking it up from Taggarts in Glasgow, the 50 mile journey home was a nightmare. Aside from the snow, a lorry had come off the edge of the road and completely blocked the route in and out of our village. As we had shopping in the car and a hungry cat stuck indoors, I had to drop the missus off so that she could walk through the snow, past the accident. A couple who were due to catch a flight at 7am the next morning, drove their car up from the village to the other side of the accident and carried their their luggage (skiing gear!) to my car and my wife drove theirs home. I then had to drive the couple all the way back to Glasgow airport in a blizzard.

The car did brilliantly and didn’t slip a wheel, while others were stuck and some had even slid off the mountain roads. The ride is a magic carpet compared to the Audi. I like the satnav and the sound system is great (I couldn’t play iPhone tracks on shuffle in the Audi). The reversing camera, once wiped clean, is superb. Fit and finish isn’t quite up to VAG standards and there’s a rattle from the engine bay at about 1,200 revs (I’ll get back to the dealer on that one). Tyre pressures were all over the place - no way the dealer checked them.

35BC339F-8F1E-4996-A8DE-4A998998C1CE.jpeg

MY17 DS SE Tech 180 Auto. Corris Grey/Lunar leather. Privacy glass. Pano sun roof. 19” wheels.

back of beyond

Post by back of beyond » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Always nice to do an emergency call out just after buying a 4x4. Makes it all seem worthwhile
Mar17 lux diesel.

Adi55

Post by Adi55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Sounds like you’ve had a eventful day Tim, despite all of their at times negative reviews that’s what Landrovers do best.
Nice looking car by the way & fantastic scenery.
MY17 SE Tech Santorini black
Full leather + Pan roof

TimK

Post by TimK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm

So Taggarts took the car back in when I had to fly from Glasgow Airport so that they could check the engine bay noise - at least it saved on the airport parking fee/rent. Turns out it was a drive shaft bearing. All replaced by the time I got back, but it’s worrying that a) such a fault occurred on a 6k mile car and b) that the pre-delivery inspection didn’t pick it up (although the noise was fainter when the car was warmed up, which must explain how I missed it on a test drive).

I’ve noticed a few other comparitive weaknesses against the Audi; The DS headlights, and especially main beam, are pretty woeful. I’ve seen a few forum posts with bulb suggestions, so I’ll look into them. The 9-speed auto box is good, but is lazy in comparison to a VAG DSG box. The seat base is quite short, so there’s not much thigh support (the audi had extending thigh supports), and the leather is bit slippy. The only solution is to drop the rear of the seat to ‘bucket’ yourself in. The air con seems to have more trouble clearing the windows, especially when getting into the car with wet gear (normal in Scotland). Surprisingly, for such a big car, the steering is a lot more sensitive - I like it, but it somehow demands higher levels of concentration.

It may sound a bit negative, but I’m still delighted with the DS. On all other counts, it’s in another league to the ‘roller skate’...

back of beyond

Post by back of beyond » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 pm

Auto box is marmite. I find it fine even good. It does occasionally misgear if you change your mind at roundabouts etc but for me its rare.

Seats are supposed to be squishier its a LR

Aircon should demist better than that. We dont have troubles even with kids and dog in on wet days. Has car been parked a while and got a bit damp inside?
Mar17 lux diesel.

Return to “Introductions”