Newbies Should Read This

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
simon

Re: Newbies Should Read This

Post by simon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 am

Hillwalker wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am
Might just call in to different dealer. Hunters did give me a written job sheet recording the fact that I had reported the issue, which is as near as I will get to having something in writing. Unfortunately I have to drive down to Pembrokeshire and back on holiday next week.

Just as an aside, yesterday I got the 'Service Required in 1000 miles' warning, drove 40 miles and it said it is due in 600 miles!
There’s a LR dealer in Haverfordwest 👍🏻
17MY D5 HSE in Farallon Black 8-)

Traded in - 17MY HSE Lux Corris Grey with Black Design Pack

Rejected - 16MY HSE Lux with Black Design Pack (B-Pillar & Build Quality Issues)

All supplied by the very excellent Shukers of Ludlow

Anupanu

Post by Anupanu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am

Service Interval poll is eye opening, are these extra oil changes recorded in your service book, so a quick check of a used car's book will show me? Or is there something the service department could bring up electronically?
MY16 Scotia Grey HSE Luxury TD4
Great service from Stafford Land Rover
Previous LR experience - 02 Freelander Vienna Green HSE TD4

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:37 am

Anupanu wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am
Service Interval poll is eye opening, are these extra oil changes recorded in your service book, so a quick check of a used car's book will show me? Or is there something the service department could bring up electronically?
DS service history is online, so no book, but not all dealers are adding the info as technically (probably not the right word) it's not a service, but warranty action, goodwill gesture, etc.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 am

It's quite a source of confusion, Anupanu.

Mine had the 21,000 mile service at 17,000 miles but it doesn't appear as a service in OSH, so I'm guessing they treated it as a goodwill oil change service (even though the servicing dealership claim to have done a full 21,000 mile service). In fact, nothing appears in my OSH other than the PDI by the supplying dealership. :shock:

Ordinarily, it should not now be due another service until September 2020 or 42,000 miles (whichever is the soonest) but I know it will need servicing again sometime next summer at approximately 33,000 miles, based on my current mileage/driving style. :lol:

It will be back to the dealership before then, though.

I should imagine I will be booking it in for another service when I reach 19,500 miles in order to ensure my OSH accurately reflects the service schedule my car was sold with. :roll:

It's a right mess.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

Past master

Post by Past master » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am

My interim oil service doesn't show on OSH. The dealership were at pains to point out that it was "not a service" - just a warranty item. The subsequent 21000 service does appear. Woolmeister I would take this up with your dealer, as if it was a full service it should be shown. Did they give you any paperwork? I had none for my oil service but they DID give me paperwork when I had the rear discs done, also under warranty. Perhaps that was because they were done at the same time as the full service, for which I also got paperwork. In the past on a different car I have had to remind a dealer to add a service to OSH as they forgot. Having a service plan might make a difference - if you have a plan take it in at 21000 and get your first free service. If not, then having the service at 17000 miles added to your OSH makes sense.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Anupanu

Post by Anupanu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am

So...
No way of knowing if a used car has suffered from this issue? Is warranty work something dealers would be happy to divulge?
MY16 Scotia Grey HSE Luxury TD4
Great service from Stafford Land Rover
Previous LR experience - 02 Freelander Vienna Green HSE TD4

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 am

Anupanu wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am
So...
No way of knowing if a used car has suffered from this issue? Is warranty work something dealers would be happy to divulge?
I can't imagine that a dealer would voluntarily divluge such information if it would, in any way, risk a sale. You can ask but will probable never know if the answer is truthful or not.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

weemark

Post by weemark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:17 am

Anupanu wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am
So...
Personally I would suggest you view this as having happened - it's a fundamental design/architecture issue so logically should affect all cars, rather than those issues that could be classified as 'build quality', such as the B pillar issue which doesn't affect every vehicle

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Past master wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am
My interim oil service doesn't show on OSH. The dealership were at pains to point out that it was "not a service" - just a warranty item. The subsequent 21000 service does appear. Woolmeister I would take this up with your dealer, as if it was a full service it should be shown. Did they give you any paperwork? I had none for my oil service but they DID give me paperwork when I had the rear discs done, also under warranty. Perhaps that was because they were done at the same time as the full service, for which I also got paperwork. In the past on a different car I have had to remind a dealer to add a service to OSH as they forgot. Having a service plan might make a difference - if you have a plan take it in at 21000 and get your first free service. If not, then having the service at 17000 miles added to your OSH makes sense.
But buying a second hand car with a supposed 21000 mile service interval and then seeing additional oil changes would surely be a red flag for some?
Is this why there is reluctancy to enter on OSH.?
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

weemark

Post by weemark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm
Past master wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 am
But buying a second hand car with a supposed 21000 mile service interval and then seeing additional oil changes would surely be a red flag for some?
Is this why there is reluctancy to enter on OSH.?
I guess that's likely the case - my interim oil changes are on the OSH tho as in my view it's a record of everything that's happened to MY car, I own it not JLR, and when I come to sell the thing, whether it be through JLR or not, I want the full service history available. Tho I did have to ask the (friendly) service manager to do this. JLR's take will undoubtedly be as you describe and it shows how much of a mess this is and how quickly the whole thing could unravel.

Return to “Introductions”