I may return to the Landrover fold so Hi Everyone.

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kojak

I may return to the Landrover fold so Hi Everyone.

Post by Kojak » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm

Along with the title I'd just like to offer some explanation.

I owned 2 Evoques from new in the past and while I appreciate that everyones experience is different (which is not a good reflection on LR) mine were great.
My needs and desires eventually led me to a VW California which is also great, we have a Kia Cee'd to run around in and now I am looking to upgrade that with something that can tow well.
As a 2nd car the most I can stretch to is sub £17,000 and thats at a push.
I simply don't want another Evoque but there are other cars in the equation.
I always felt I missed out on the FL2 styling by going for an Evoque in the first place so thats a contender but the age and technology are limiting factors. Also in the mix is (please don't ban me :D ) a BMW X3.
I don't want an Audi and I fear a Disco 4 is a step beyond my financial ability overall.
So just dipping a toe in the disco sport forum to have a look around. I was a moderator on the Evoque forum so I'm aware of the fact that they consist of satisfied and dissatisfied LR customers and that there will always be opposite posts of view.
I'm hearing about B pillar rattles, DPF problems, premature servicing requirements, steering rack issues and some electrical faults. Sounds just like the Evoque forum :shock:

What I'm really after I guess is
1) To see if longer term owners have been able to iron out problems on a near permanent basis and settle in to loving the car.
2) To figure out which model and spec would best suit my budget and needs.

I'd love to hear from any longer term owners I guess around 18 months onwards opinions either way on my first question.

Thanks all.
Kojak

County

Re: I may return to the Landrover fold so Hi Everyone.

Post by County » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:44 am

Just about to trade in my 'MY 15' for a MY 18, had early teething problems ranging from new Hadlex, heater fan replacement, loose heat shield, tailgate strut replacement, all brakes replaced as rusty, very early on, software problems. Had to use LR assist twice, the first time ever in Landrover ownership but excellent service from them.
Settled down by year three and no problems since then as all sorted.... Apart from steering rack failure on the day I made the deal for a replacement :cry:
Original tyres still on at 52k.
Waiting to see if JLR are picking up the cost of rack replacement otherwise unlikely to get another DS.
So in a nutshell all new vehicle manufacturing defects sorted out and a lovely vehicle.
PS: battery replaced at year 5+
1984 RR Vouge
H 1991 Disco
L 1993 Disco
N 1996 Disco
Y 2001 Disco
MY53 Disco
MY56 Disco
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS
MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech 2.2D
Awaiting MY18 SE Tech Auto Petrol

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 am

Kojak wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm
...I'm hearing about B pillar rattles, DPF problems, premature servicing requirements, steering rack issues and some electrical faults. Sounds just like the Evoque forum :shock:

Easy @Kojak, there's no B pillar rattles over there ;) :lol: ;)

Good luck with your DS hunting.
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am

Kojak wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm
I'm hearing about B pillar rattles, DPF problems, premature servicing requirements, steering rack issues and some electrical faults. Sounds just like the Evoque forum :shock:
Given it's pretty much the same car mechanically I guess that's not surprising. Premature servicing (I assume oil changes due to dilution) are a result of the same DPF problems, I don't know if the steering rack is the same on the Evoque (any failures over there?) and electrical faults - well, it is a Land Rover!

Still, I hope you find a good 'un, then you can be pretty sure 'Who loves ya, baby?'... Sorry, had to get that in, I've been watching too much Telly - ooops, there I go again. I'll get my coat.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:25 am

Hands dashnine his coat to speed up his exit
Narvik 250P hse, lovely

Kojak

Post by Kojak » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks for the replies so far I'll tag you all anyway even though I don't see the functionality :shock:

@HmmmUK - Ha ha no B pillar rattles maybe but the amount of faults that were reported, it fees familiar.
@Elliot - Would you please? :D (didn't mean it Dash)
@Dashnine - I see what you did there ;) and thanks for the info
@County - Hope all goes well

:)

Seems quite a quiet forum?
Maybe I should post similar in faults section as a question of the settling down period....assuming that is generally the case with these faults.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 pm

Kojak wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:56 pm
Maybe I should post similar in faults section as a question of the settling down period....assuming that is generally the case with these faults.
I think most people just check the 'What's New' list of threads and don't check individual forum pages, so you'd effectively just be duplicating the post.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Kojak wrote:
It’s quiet because there are really no major issues on this vehicle that haven’t been covered 100 times over already.

Then suddenly, you will get a plethora of “new” contributors over a 72 hour period all complaining about the same “something”. Last weeks debacle over a timing chain was a case in point.

These “contributors” will blitz the forum in a very short period of time with wild and outlandish claims, and when challenged, disappear seemingly forever. Never to be seen again

Some people might call them inquisitive students or journalists masquerading as owners. I just call them Trolls. They’re fairly easy to spot.

Kojak

Post by Kojak » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:35 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 pm
Kojak wrote:
I think most people just check the 'What's New' list of threads and don't check individual forum pages, so you'd effectively just be duplicating the post.
Hmmmm....I see thanks.
In which case I'll just repeat it here then.
Anyone else care to let me know if their DS settled in or whether they feel they can't trust it?

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:32 pm

I had a D180 HSE Black for 3 years, other than extra oil dilution related oil changes no problem, but didn’t fancy running it out of warranty with possible future DPF problems as my mileage had dropped, so spent the warranty money on deposit for a P240 HSE which has just turned two years old. No issues other than a failed and replaced front cameras module over Christmas.

Neither let me down at any point.