Potential Owner - 2.2 Vs 2.0 Buying Advice

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
DscvrySprt

Potential Owner - 2.2 Vs 2.0 Buying Advice

Post by DscvrySprt » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:49 pm

New to the forum as I'm looking at purchasing a 2015/16 Discovery Sport and would like some advice.

Originally I was looking at 2.0 TD4 Ingenium cars but, even though my driving involves longer journeys, I've now decided on a 2.2 SD4 based on reading a lot of the advice on this forum. (A petrol would have been nice, but they're just too expensive to buy comparatively).

I'd like the following buying advice if anyone can help me, as I'm struggling to discern between issues that are only relevant to the 2.0 versus those that affect the older 2.2 as well.

1) EGR Valve - As I believe this is still an issue for 2.2 engines, is there a way of checking the condition of this?

2) B-Pillar rattle - Should this have been resolved on cars from 2015 by now, and if not will it be immediately apparent on a test drive?

3) Service Intervals - are these more sensible than the 2.0 cars since they shouldn't have the same DPF oil dilution issues?

4) Service history - the cars I'm looking at are on between 50 & 65k miles. What should have been done in terms of servicing, and is there anything major I should be prepared for doing shortly after purchasing? I can't seem to find information on this anywhere. Is there a service schedule available somewhere online?

5) Other common issues? Is there anything aside from the problems above that I should be checking for when viewing/test driving cars?

Thanks in advance.

Paul41

Re: Potential Owner - 2.2 Vs 2.0 Buying Advice

Post by Paul41 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 pm

I can’t help you with your above questions but I can offer you my DS in 2/3 months time that I can guarantee that I’ve not had any DPF or associated problems mech/electrical over 26k miles, just had it’s forth year service, new MOT next week, & will have a transferable & extendable Land Rover warranty. Only selling due to new DS PHEV on order.
HSE MY17 Corris/black roof/privacy glass/HUD/blind spot monitor-reverse traffic detect/surround cameras/wade sensing/ACC/ towbar/full size spare/Adaptive dynamics/Entertainment pack/incontrol pro/Mem seats/ATPC/Heated steering wheel/service pack/Gtechniq

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 am

If you're looking at a low mileage early DS then I'd be tempted to agree with you. Later ones don't seem to have the DPF issues that affected some earlier ones and whilst most are just fine, I'd be a liar if I claimed there wasn't an element of risk on early ingeniums. Later ones, whilst not really a problem, are still fussier than the 2.2, and the 2.2 doesn't have the AdBlu so if you have the choice, and aren't concerned with emissions, I really can't argue with your thinking.

I had the 2.2 in my previous Freelander, which I had for 9 years (bought at 3 years). It did mostly very short runs and averaged 3-6,000 miles per year. Engine wise I never had a single issue with it. I did, as I do with all my cars, run a dose of Millers Dieselmax additive through every other fill up or so, and whether this is why I've never had an EGR issue on any of my cars I can't say, but fact is, between the low mileage Freelander2, my high mileage Mercedes or my now 100k mile Jaguar, I haven't.
Service interval wise, assuming you're not looking at stellar mileage, good quality oil changed every 12 months should be fine (that's all I did), plus of course the usual filters etc but there's nothing exceptional and the cam belt isn't due until 10 years/ 100k (roughly) so no concerns there.

The rest I'll leave to those with experience of early DSs as this is my first.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

Valisk

Post by Valisk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:01 am

I went through the same process as you - I ended up going for the 2.2.

Regarding the cambelt interval, this post from SarahStreet is very helpful:
SarahStreet wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 am
To try and explain the confusion on the timescales of the cambelt.

The PSA unit is available in two power outputs, TD4 (150) and SD4 (190). These units were predominantly fitted to Freelander and Evoque Mk 1.

Initially, the cambelt service interval was 10 years/160000 miles. However, around 2014 it was noticed that the higher powered engine (SD4) was experiencing cambeltt-related issues, so the service interval was reduced to 7 years. This applies to the SD4 (190) only, which was also fitted at launch to L550.

It should be noted that it wasn't the belts that were giving way, it was the water pump/tensioners that were failing prematurely, causing catastrophic damage. It is imperative that the ancillary components are changed at the same time as the belt, as these have been identified as the root cause of the problem, and subsequently, the earlier service interval.

Sadly, the MS&S teams at JLR made a total Horlicks of communicating this information to owners, but dealers were advised in an SSM, which they will happily confirm. And just to confuse you even further, the 3+ fixed price for a cambelt change at a dealer is BELT ONLY, so don't be fooled. Get a price for everything, as the actual belt in itself is the last thing that is likely to fail.

Hope that helps.

I was expecting a few rattles and squeaks, but apart from the rear seat not being clicked in properly on the test drive, it was fine. No sign of B pillar tick yet...
MY15 SE Tech 2.2 SD4 Manual. Indus Silver, black contrast roof with pano.

DscvrySprt

Post by DscvrySprt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 am

41jules1967 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 am
If you're looking at a low mileage early DS then I'd be tempted to agree with you. Later ones don't seem to have the DPF issues that affected some earlier ones and whilst most are just fine, I'd be a liar if I claimed there wasn't an element of risk on early ingeniums. Later ones, whilst not really a problem, are still fussier than the 2.2, and the 2.2 doesn't have the AdBlu so if you have the choice, and aren't concerned with emissions, I really can't argue with your thinking.

I had the 2.2 in my previous Freelander, which I had for 9 years (bought at 3 years). It did mostly very short runs and averaged 3-6,000 miles per year. Engine wise I never had a single issue with it. I did, as I do with all my cars, run a dose of Millers Dieselmax additive through every other fill up or so, and whether this is why I've never had an EGR issue on any of my cars I can't say, but fact is, between the low mileage Freelander2, my high mileage Mercedes or my now 100k mile Jaguar, I haven't.
Service interval wise, assuming you're not looking at stellar mileage, good quality oil changed every 12 months should be fine (that's all I did), plus of course the usual filters etc but there's nothing exceptional and the cam belt isn't due until 10 years/ 100k (roughly) so no concerns there.

The rest I'll leave to those with experience of early DSs as this is my first.
Thanks, it's reassuring to hear a positive story from your experience with the 2.2, and interesting on the use of the additive which I hadn't considered. Might better be safe than sorry and follow your advice on that one after purchasing.

There seems to be a minefield in terms of options for additives. Was there a particular reason you settled on Miller's?

DscvrySprt

Post by DscvrySprt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 am

Valisk wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:01 am
I went through the same process as you - I ended up going for the 2.2.

Regarding the cambelt interval, this post from SarahStreet is very helpful:
SarahStreet wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 am
To try and explain the confusion on the timescales of the cambelt.

The PSA unit is available in two power outputs, TD4 (150) and SD4 (190). These units were predominantly fitted to Freelander and Evoque Mk 1.

Initially, the cambelt service interval was 10 years/160000 miles. However, around 2014 it was noticed that the higher powered engine (SD4) was experiencing cambeltt-related issues, so the service interval was reduced to 7 years. This applies to the SD4 (190) only, which was also fitted at launch to L550.

It should be noted that it wasn't the belts that were giving way, it was the water pump/tensioners that were failing prematurely, causing catastrophic damage. It is imperative that the ancillary components are changed at the same time as the belt, as these have been identified as the root cause of the problem, and subsequently, the earlier service interval.

Sadly, the MS&S teams at JLR made a total Horlicks of communicating this information to owners, but dealers were advised in an SSM, which they will happily confirm. And just to confuse you even further, the 3+ fixed price for a cambelt change at a dealer is BELT ONLY, so don't be fooled. Get a price for everything, as the actual belt in itself is the last thing that is likely to fail.

Hope that helps.

I was expecting a few rattles and squeaks, but apart from the rear seat not being clicked in properly on the test drive, it was fine. No sign of B pillar tick yet...
That's really helpful advice, thank you.

Although it wouldn't be a worry for a couple of years, there's a chance I'd need to do the cambelt during my ownership in that case. Do you know what the cost would be for the belt, tensioner and pump to be replaced?

What has the rest of your ownership experience been like with the 2.2? It's good to hear you haven't had to suffer with rattles which seem to affect a lot of these cars!

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:46 pm

From memory I think I paid around £450 for the belt, tensioner, pump and a service thrown in.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

Valisk

Post by Valisk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:45 pm

DscvrySprt wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 am
What has the rest of your ownership experience been like with the 2.2? It's good to hear you haven't had to suffer with rattles which seem to affect a lot of these cars!

Still early days, I've only had the car for about three months, but I'm loving it. After a long line of three year old Ford Focuses (the inlaws are on the Ford ticket, I've been buying their cast offs!) this is the first car I've owned for a long time that I'm actually excited about owning,

One surprise is that it's much better on fuel than I was expecting. I had a run on the M62 that took in a loooong speed controlled 50 mph zone. Went from Doncaster to Liverpool, the trip computer indicated 48mpg! (probably somewhat optimistic from the trip computer, but still...) I recently loaded the car up fully - Wife, kids, dog, boot full of camping gear, plus a 400L roof box. Went from the top of Wales down to Tenby, taking in plenty of hills and twisties and returned over 40mpg (calculated). It's effortless too - some of those hills used to kill a fully loaded Focus :) Yep, it's a bit clattery when it's cold, but once it warms up, it's completely fine. Round town from cold on a short run is mid 30's.

Only issue that's cropped up so far is a faint 'click' from the OSF suspension over speed bumps, which sounds like it might be the mud cap on the shock absorber as per this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8818&hilit=speed+bump

Still no squeaks or rattles though! Got a trip to the Lakes at the weekend - can't wait to load up and head off :)

41jules1967 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:46 pm
From memory I think I paid around £450 for the belt, tensioner, pump and a service thrown in.

Wow, great price - I guess that was from an independant Jules?
MY15 SE Tech 2.2 SD4 Manual. Indus Silver, black contrast roof with pano.

Past master

Post by Past master » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Do bear in mind that the 2.2 is a Euro5 engine, which will potentially be banned from London and other cities in the near future. Although it's more reliable than the early 2.0 units, it is old technology. I would hesitate to purchase a 2.2 if I were likely to venture within the M25.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

Paul41

Post by Paul41 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:19 pm

VED on pre April 2017 Euro6 2.0ltr is significantly less (£145) than Euro 5 2.2 models. (£270)
HSE MY17 Corris/black roof/privacy glass/HUD/blind spot monitor-reverse traffic detect/surround cameras/wade sensing/ACC/ towbar/full size spare/Adaptive dynamics/Entertainment pack/incontrol pro/Mem seats/ATPC/Heated steering wheel/service pack/Gtechniq