Buying a discovery sport...advise needed.

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
Barnsh

Re: Buying a discovery sport...advise needed.

Post by Barnsh » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Petrol is a great engine , I’ve the same engine in my FPace, I drove diesels for Decades , but wouldn’t touch a JLR ingenium diesel.
You’ll notice no issues on here from the petrol owners , they’ve all driven off into bliss apart from using a bit more fuel they have great acceleration and no flat spots.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

adeolly

Post by adeolly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:52 pm

My advice would be buy as new as possible. There has been steady and significant improvement every MY. We have an MY 18 bought Oct 17 and other than a couple of minor issues when new, fixed promptly under warranty, we've had no faults. Not one DPF warning light, despite many sub 10 mile trips, and no rattles at all. Yes it needed first oil change at 13k, (FOC). it' now at 22k and with the PCP ending in Oct I think it highly likely we'll stump the baloon and hang on to it for a while longer, but we'll see what's on offer in a few months. My wife has loved the car since day 1.
MY18 2.0 150 HSE manual, Firenze red with narvik black roof, rear tints, 2nd row USB, blind spot monitoring, reverse traffic detection, space saver spare.

Past master

Post by Past master » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:06 pm

There's something to be said for buying the higher mileage one. Most of the problems frequently mentioned here are down to or exacerbated by low mileage. One that's done reasonable mileage (unless it was a taxi!) is more likely to have had a reasonable history of dpf regeneration and to have had any faults fixed under warranty. I do 12-15000 miles a year and the few problems I've had were fixed. Got rid of the car at 3½ years old and 50000 miles, but was tempted to keep it. Mentioning you were a bit worried by what you have read on line might negotiate you an extra year's extended warranty perhaps? Bear in mind too that the negative publicity is probably already built into a lower secondhand price. 20000 odd miles is not much for a diesel.
And of course if you only do a low mileage yourself, DON'T BUY A DIESEL. Any diesel.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

dorsetdisco

Post by dorsetdisco » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am

I have had a number of Freelander 2s the latest being an SD4 Auto XS. I am now looking to get a DS as my next car. I have already made the decision to go petrol given the diesel DPF problems (my neighbour has had it) but I can't find any information on service intervals for the petrol DS.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:27 am

dorsetdisco wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am
I have had a number of Freelander 2s the latest being an SD4 Auto XS. I am now looking to get a DS as my next car. I have already made the decision to go petrol given the diesel DPF problems (my neighbour has had it) but I can't find any information on service intervals for the petrol DS.
1 year or 15000 miles, whichever occurs first

Whooooooosh

Post by Whooooooosh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi Dav,

My advice is to go for the one with the extras you want and the colour you like. I'd hate to buy a car that I don't particularly like the colour of or have nagging disappointment that I didn't get the tech, seats or pano roof I really wanted.

As for 27,000 miles I'd say that sounds like it could have been a motorway cruiser and far less likely to have inflicted wear and tear than a lower mileage vehicle being used for short trips or around a congested city. its worth asking if they can find out the history.

If you do get any issues the LR warranty is pretty damn comprehensive and should fix almost anything that goes wrong. Albeit that they sometimes need reading the riot act to get started.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE LUX - Aintree Green + Cream Leather

Stroh

Post by Stroh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:17 pm

dorsetdisco wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am
I can't find any information on service intervals for the petrol DS.
For the 2020 DS:
https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/3A/2020/T34770/36416_en_GBR/proc/G2381090

For other years and models you can delete "document/3A/2020/T34770/36416_en_GBR/proc/G2381090" and input your model and year on the page to see the owner's manuals.
2020 DS P250 SE, Fuji White, Acorn Windsor Leather Heated and Cooled Seats, Premium Interior Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Meridian Surround Sound System with Sirius XM Satellite Radio, Black Exterior Pack, Technology Pack, Natural Shadow Oak Veneer!

Jan

Post by Jan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm

I can't either.

I'm pretty sure the link above is for a diesel.

I contacted JLR online sales with the same question, here's their reply;

"Thank you for contacting Jaguar Land Rover UK,

Please contact the Customer Experience Centre for service interval information. They can also provide support on how to find this information on your vehicle. Alternatively you can also visit your local retailer for a demonstration. I will include details below.

Customer Experience Centre – 0370 5000 500

Please click on this link to Find A Retailer Near You

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,"

I haven't had a response to my follow up email expressing surprise that their online sales team don't have that information to hand.
MY2020.5 P200S 5Seat with roof rails, mud flaps, and a full size spare.
Gone
My18 TD4 150 SE Tech
MY16 TD4 150 SE Tech
FL GS TD4 MY13: FL GS TD4 MY12

Stroh

Post by Stroh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 pm

The link above is for my US petrol (still on order). I would think that there should be a UK equivalent of the ownerinfo.landrover.com site. I attempted owner info.landrover.co.uk and that did not work. I did somehow get redirected to https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm when searching. Perhaps someone with a UK VIN can see if it is in there.
2020 DS P250 SE, Fuji White, Acorn Windsor Leather Heated and Cooled Seats, Premium Interior Upgrade Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Meridian Surround Sound System with Sirius XM Satellite Radio, Black Exterior Pack, Technology Pack, Natural Shadow Oak Veneer!

roadster

Post by roadster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am

Jan wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:31 pm
I can't either.

I'm pretty sure the link above is for a diesel.

I contacted JLR online sales with the same question, here's their reply;

"Thank you for contacting Jaguar Land Rover UK,

Please contact the Customer Experience Centre for service interval information. They can also provide support on how to find this information on your vehicle. Alternatively you can also visit your local retailer for a demonstration. I will include details below.

Customer Experience Centre – 0370 5000 500

Please click on this link to Find A Retailer Near You

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,"

I haven't had a response to my follow up email expressing surprise that their online sales team don't have that information to hand.
Its all part of the never put anything in writing strategy which I suspect is drummed in to every corporate customer facing department now! Its almost impossible to get a straight answer to even the simplest question by email. Using the telephone usually means that they have a recording and you don't. I'm not by any means only talking about JLR.
RAV 4 Hybrid convert
Now gone::2018 MY Diesel auto 180 SE tech