Buying a discovery sport...advise needed.

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dav

Buying a discovery sport...advise needed.

Post by Dav » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 am

Hi
I’ve just joined this forum as i am considering investing in a discovery sport , I’ve been looking for about a while now and am abit of a quandary as what to go for . I have seen a 2018 hse td4 which seems to fit all the criteria ie pano roof, black pack ,black wheels 7 seats etc etc . But this has 27000 miles on the clock. I’ve also seen a 2018 which has only 6000 plus miles on the clock but it doesn’t have 7 seats and to be honest I don’t like the look of as much as the higher mileage one It’s white with silver wheels etc only I minor thing I know but I’m going to be forking out a lot of money for it and really need to like it .
what would the advice be when buying a disco sport , would it be get as low a mileage car.as possible and sacrifice all the goodies or buy a good looking car with slightly higher than average miles . I really am struggling to make a decision. . Id 27000 miles a lot for such a newish car .
Any advise would be great .
Thanks in advance

s5156

Re: Buying a discovery sport...advise needed.

Post by s5156 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:43 am

Hi Dav
I may be a bit biased but I wouldn't touch any of them ever again.. I had a rough trot with 2 x DS and both were rejected so my opinion is a bit skewed.

If you're going to put your hard earned cash down I for one would NEVER touch a diesel from JLR (just look on here about DPF issues etc.)

If you do proceed I would suggest getting whatever you want as far as options, colours, seating etc. as you'll always regret NOT getting "the one that had..." that one missing item!

I do appreciate you loving them, I did once (or even twice)... I thought I'd have a long and satisfying ownership experience but JLR made my life hell for an extended period of time with all sorts of outright denials re problems until i used their own published material against them. I still love the DS but would NEVER again venture into owning another JLR product.
s5156
Australia
1st DS - HSE SD4 2.2D, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: July 2017
2nd DS - HSE TD4 180, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: October 2017
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription D4, 8Sp Auto, Pine Grey, Bowers & Wilkins, Air suspension. Napa Leather
What a change!

Dav

Post by Dav » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Thanks for that . That gives me loads of confidence in shelling out haha
Ide never contemplated the petrol version .is there any views on the petrol version .?
Thanks

dghdgh

Post by dghdgh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:39 pm

To be fair to JLR all manufactures have problems with DPF issues especially when the vehicle is used for short trips. The push to diesel then the out cry because of pollution both hit head on. I moved to my DS from a Volvo V90, Volvo are in the process of a massive DPF issue, my advice would be move towards Petrol, but that is based on my usage. That said its a fantastic bargaining chip if you do go to the diesel route. My petrol is a SP200 so I am not sure how they fit within the vehicles you are looking at. I would have liked a bit more power but my objective was to say outside the luxury car tax threshold. That may fall within your selection criteria, I object to paying around £500 RFL. The range of vehicles in the bracket is vast but remember all marques have their problems. I had a BMW 3 series which had 5 injectors. Anyway best of luck finding your right car.

Bisset

Post by Bisset » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Plugging my own car a bit here but I have a landmark in the for sale section. It’s 2019 so may be more than your looking to spend but has 7 seats and a great look to it. Also has the service plan transferable with the car.
MY19 Discovery Sport Landmark Edition, Corris Grey, Connect Pack, Service Pack, 2.0(180) Auto.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm

While you get people slagging off JLR after their bad experiences, far more have had no issues. The oil dilution issue is well documented, and you either do the miles (so it regens properly) or do the oil changes once a year. Ingenium diesels installed longitudinally don’t have the issue, so hardly fair to blame all JLR diesels. The D240 doesn’t suffer due to a different exhaust architecture.

I had a D180 and had no issues, but had the ol changes, I now have a P240 but you have to brace yourself for the poor mpg. Just as the diesel never did the mpg as advertised (I got 32mpg) , nor does the petrol (I get 24mpg) but if you budget for it in comparison to cost / depreciation it’s not a vast amount more. And as I point out to my wife - petrols cheaper!
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

s5156

Post by s5156 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi all...
I should have made myself clearer about my 2 x rejected DS's.. and my comments re diesel engines (DPF issues)...

They were both rejected due to POOR build quality e.g. B Pillar Rattle... and NOT diesel DPF issues. All I was pointing out was that to be aware of the well documented issues with the JLR DPF systems used with the various diesel engines before buying.

Just to clarify my ordeal with rejections:-
I stand by my comments about never buying a JLR product again.. at the price point that I paid AUD$70+K, I was totally shattered with stress, financial issues and the fact that JLR denied, stalled and finally capitulated about my 1st rejection (took all of 10+ months) then when they finally did offer a replacement vehicle I thought all my issues were over... but within 3 weeks this 2nd DS had the exact same problem and was rejected for the FULL financial outlay of the 1st DS.

The saga was and has been well documented on here (do a search) but in short JLR denied any problem even though they issues 8 separate TSB's on how to fix the problem each one being more destructive to the integrity of the vehicles frame, body, paint, glass removal, air bag removal.. in short a complete rebuild of the B Pillar on both sides which included all welds broken and re-welded, door frames (body not doors) damaged, trim damaged/marked, windscreen removed, panoramic roof removed, cant rail (being re-aligned/stretched)... now if doesn't put fear into an owner and drive them away I'm not sure what would!

Yes a nasty taste was left by their complete lack of customer service or help until I threatened legal action would be undertaken to ensure JLR met their obligations under Australian Consumer Law... so beat me up as much as you like, all I did was offer an opinion (mine) and I'm sure as you say there are many owners that have had NO problems at all.... My 1st DS was a brand new model and I did expect some minor niggles it happens with all manufacturers but I didn't expect that my new pride and joy which I lusted over and waited 6 months for delivery would need to be torn apart (have a look at the work required in ALL the TSB's). I would have though by the time I got the 2nd DS any B-Pillar issued would have been resolved... but alas NO.

A further important note I must say: My dealer was totally supportive of all my actions at all times, in fact I stayed with them for my Volvo (multi brand dealership) it was just JLR that spoiled the whole ownership process for me. I still love them as a car and wished they got it right, but I'd never be game to own one again!

Enough ranting and yes I'm now in a different brand and very happy, and yes it's had a couple of very minor issues as well, all fixed in a day, no questions asked, loaner car supplied treated like a valued customer.
s5156
Australia
1st DS - HSE SD4 2.2D, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: July 2017
2nd DS - HSE TD4 180, B-Pillar Rattle - Rejected: October 2017
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription D4, 8Sp Auto, Pine Grey, Bowers & Wilkins, Air suspension. Napa Leather
What a change!

dghdgh

Post by dghdgh » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:01 am

s5156 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:19 pm
so beat me up as much as you like, all I did was offer an opinion (mine)!!

I don't see anyone beating you up just expressing opinions, you Aussies must be very touchy, no one can ever doubt or question your experience but its only fair others have the opportunity to express theirs. That said it is without question JLR have had build and design problems but as do other marques. In the last 9 years I have had 1 BMW, 1 Merc, 1 Audi, 2 Volvo, 1 Ford and 1 LR. As of yet I have yet to experience LR dealer service other than sales but ranking them in quality of product my list would be:
Audi
BMW LR
Volvo
Merc Ford

In service levels at sale
LR
Merc Volvo Audi Ford
BMW

In after sales service LR yet to come into this list
Merc BMW
Volvo
Audi Ford

But the biggest potential long term issues were with BMW coil injector packs failing and Volvo DPF issues and potential fire safety recall. As I said I think the biggest issues is the swing away from diesel based on emissions although this is in my option a knee jerk reaction. But we all need to accept when we purchase a vehicle it has potential to experience problems as real life usage can not be simulated on a bench rig. The one thing that can never be cut short on is customer service and when the most expensive car on my list was around £60k and the after sales service level was at the bottom I ask the question would I ever return. The answer is yes as I was in a minority to have received the level of service I did but perhaps I would be more selective when deciding on which dealership to use. The moral of my story is that the entire motoring supply chain from manufactures to sales and after sales need to start to focus on repeat business not todays sales. This is evident in the experience of some on this forum who would never venture back into a JLR showroom because of product issues or customer service issues but the same goes on all of the forums for the cars above. The motor trade need to wake up and smell the coffee as 1 bad experience voiced (legitimately) may cost numerous sales, not based on purely product but customer service.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:19 am

Although undoubtedly issues with the car, it sounds like the worst part of the situation was the JLR Australia.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Dav

Post by Dav » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:20 pm

Well I’m still looking .... I really do like the one we seen but the 25000 plus miles for a 18 reg td4 is swaying me abit , really don’t know what to do, I’ve increased the price in my search criteria and it seems to bring better options but it’s always the case hahah ,, now I’m also thinking about petrol versions . Arghhh .

Return to “Introductions”