Discovery Sport Forum banner

First post

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Trojan 
#1 ·
I'm now into my fourth year of DS ownership. I have an SE150 manual, bought new three years ago as a retirement celebration, as a long term buy. It replaced a Freelander 2 which had replaced a Disco 3, so expectations were high. As a means of transport in rural Scotland it is brilliant. Strong, roomy and lovely to drive. But - fuel consumption proved to be fairly disappointing in relation to LR's claims. But I suppose that too much fuel is being burnt in the DPF! It's 4wd capability in winter has been enhanced through the purchase of a set of Evoque alloys which have been clad in snow tyres (General Snow Grabbers) which enabled my son to beat the Beast from the East and attend the birth of our grand-daughter, despite significant snowdrifts.

An early enhancement was the purchase of a set of driver seat lifts which made the car drive more like its big (D3/4) brothers.

On the servicing side I bought a service plan and so far the engine oil has been changed every 8000 miles without further charge, plus the Adblue topups. The rear discs and pads have been replaced under the warranty and the front ones have been flagged up in the first MOT as needing replacement. Another problem I've had was the driver's door locked itself and refused all means of opening - that was referred back to Solihull for a solution. While that was happening I was given a D5 as a replacement but I have to say I was not overawed by it.

Very recently, just as the warranty had expired, the Engine/Gearbox warning light came on and the car decided to warn me that limp mode was only 500 miles away. This was fixed under a Service Recall regarding the DPF wiring which is too tight on a batch of 2016/2017 cars.

Now that the warranty has expired I intend, in future, changing the engine oil and filter every 6000 miles, just to be on the safe side. I am totally aware of the oil dilution issue, thanks to this forum. The local LR dealer in Stirling has kept very quiet about it! I have one further service to go in the service plan but thereafter I intend doing the oil changes myself. With that in mind our local village mechanic introduced me to the ease of oil extraction via the dipstick tube. And while I don't need to change the oil anytime soon I have now obtained an extraction pump on eBay as I noticed that the current oil level is well over the maximum on the dipstick - an obvious product of the oil dilution issue. So tonight I have extracted at least a litre of oil and brought the dipstick reading down to max. Something for other owners to watch out for?

I do like the car and intend to keep it - although the Jeep Compass Trailhawk is very tempting with its low ratio gearbox.........

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.