New to Land Rover

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
leedonvito

New to Land Rover

Post by leedonvito » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:11 am

Morning all! I have a bit of an issue and welcome your feedback! In the process of buying a 69 plate Discovery Sport with 12k on the clock! I haven't received it as of yet because its had a seat replaced due to airbag problem and has now been flagged for balancer shaft update (new bearings). Not a good start really and have been warned by work colleagues of the scale of the problems they have encountered with JLR! Do I pull out of the purchase or persist?? Love the car but is it worth the hassle and expense??

Chippy

Re: New to Land Rover

Post by Chippy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:36 am

You’ve posted twice so I’ve replied here as well.

Based on my personal experience albeit with earlier models (see my signature) I’d steer clear.

Members generally report that newer models are superior in quality to earlier ones which begs the question why does this relatively new model you’re looking at have such potentially serious problems especially the balance shaft problem.

Whatever you decide good luck.
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:43 am

My MY19 Landmark has been fine (18 months, 14k miles) except..

1. keyless entry 'touch to lock' point on the drivers door handle is a bit temperamental in wet weather
2. DAB radio reception is pretty dire unless i'm on major A roads/motorway network - suspect the signal booster/aerial isn't 100% as it should be

I've not taken the vehicle back to a dealer (covid, trust in dealerships, not major issues for me) - i've lived with them for 18 months, another 6 the vehicle will be gone.

The balancer shaft issue is well reported, and dealt with by JLR - somewhat unusual to my mind on a 69 plate, maybe originally a built vehicle held in stock for some time before registration ?
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

Gary s

Post by Gary s » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi, I have an MY19 SE Tech, 25k and not a problem, ( one small warranty issue down to a seal under the roof bar mount but apart from that no issues at all or any warning lights , car has been fantastic, no DPF or regen issues but I did change the oil out at just under 11k as a personal choice and not down to a service indicator, I do think a balance shaft issue especially on that car you are looking at would make me walk away, there are plenty out there so I would say look around a bit more

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pm

I've had my 2019 180 HSE since early June. If I'm very picky, there's a very slight squeak recently developed from the steering at parking speeds (so subtle it's really not worth looking at but I may mention it at the next service). Other than that 100% perfect.
I tend to buy 1-2 year old cars, and I'm a perfectionist, so it's become standard practice to take delivery, then assemble a snagging list for 2-3 weeks and bob it back to the dealer for rectification. So it's been with every Merc I've ever owned, my last 2 Freelander2's, my Jag (list on that one was really small and pedantic) and even the new Audis I bought. So pad ready, our DS was delivered back in June.
It's still blank. Nothing. No faults, no warning lights, no rattles and everything works as advertised. First car I've ever been able to say that about. Driven past the dealership many times. Have yet to go in.
Balance shaft bearings are a known issue and once resolved should be fine. The ones on mine are fine and they're fixing your airbag issue so it sounds like the PDIs been very thorough.
There are always 'bad cars' in any production cycle but most are really trouble free. No reason yours should be any different.
Ok, the gesture tailgate is a bit of a lottery sometimes (stood there waving your leg back and forth) , the keyless entry/locking can be a bit odd when the handle is wet due to the way the sensor works (prefer the physical button on my Jag) - but it always locks and opens just fine.
People come onto forums generally when they get problems but 99% of owners don't even know there is a forum.
JLR has a reputation and some of it may well be deserved. They don't have the production volumes to cover the development budgets of the bigger brands, so new models can suffer more than maybe some others. Hence there's no way I'd have considered a release DS (that said I did have a release Freelander2 and that was pretty good) But, most issues have been ironed out by your (and my) production run and a lot of the reputation is actually based on 30 years ago which is really unfair.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Leedonvito - If the DS as a vehicle does what you want it for then go ahead. Most vehicles suffer from "gremlins" of one sort or another although statistics say Land Rover more than some others. However, they get fixed well under warranty and the capability and driving enjoyment are worth it to me.

Current DS has had balance shafts replaced and then (as a result, no doubt) the cross-shaft and bearing for the RH front wheel. Otherwise 28,000 trouble-free and enjoyable miles at average 41.66 MPG (measured, with average 44 according to trip computer)

Previous DS (2015) had the "limited performance" issue a couple of times, the cam-phase sensor go out of range (Software fix) and the cable for the DEF dosing was too short and failed but that's all. I had 2 Freelanders before that and 3 Discoverys. Love the assurance of being able to traverse wet, snow, ice and off-road terrain with confidence.
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
2003 G4 Disco 2 Tangiers Orange
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

pcheaven

Post by pcheaven » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:24 pm

leedonvito wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:11 am
Morning all! I have a bit of an issue and welcome your feedback! In the process of buying a 69 plate Discovery Sport with 12k on the clock! I haven't received it as of yet because its had a seat replaced due to airbag problem and has now been flagged for balancer shaft update (new bearings). Not a good start really and have been warned by work colleagues of the scale of the problems they have encountered with JLR! Do I pull out of the purchase or persist?? Love the car but is it worth the hassle and expense??
Most people on forums come here to bash the model and sing the praises of some other marque they changed to.

The DS is a very good car.
I have owned 4 since they were launched.
Nothing major ever happened to mine - and mine get worked very hard.
The newer my20 models ( gear shift not gear dial selector )and later are better built and handle better also. Though same engines etc
Most issues are known, understood and quickly fixed for the majority of people.

Roadside assistance is excellent.

No other same class / size vehicle comes close in ability, space and practicability. The German marquess are better on the tarmac. But that’s about it.
If you need some off road capability. This is the car to look at. Unless you go for the full discovery.
Silver 2020 D240 R Dynamic HSE - with the terrible ( IMHO ) premium LED lights
Orange 66 DS HSE +toys - Bi xenon excellent headlights
Other JLR products

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Rather echo comments above.

From our stable:

The (current) Velar is a company vehicle, and is only on fleet for 6 months/9000 miles, whichever comes sooner, so impossible to form an attachment/opinion or long-term report on.

The DS is a 17MY and has yet to show a mechanical fault in 46000 miles. Software glitches galore through 2018/19, but nothing recently.

Freelander 2 13MY has never gone wrong. Ever. 62000 miles, no issues whatsoever, and has only ever seen a dealer for a (staff rebated) service in line with schedule.

Land Rovers are not as unreliable as some like to make out. Without getting into a massive debate on this topic, I will leave it there.

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 am

Ours is a September 2018 bought ex-Land Rover fleet vehicle with 9,000 miles on the clock. The balance shafts were noisy on collection and spotted by another dealers technician, they were replaced under warranty and have been perfect since. Couple of exhaust solenoid warnings, didn't seem to effect the car, and repaired again under warranty. that's it in 20,000 miles.
Software glitch was sorted recently, been much better since.
Nothing that stopped me from using the car, which is important as I can't earn if I can't get to a customers premises.

Is it as bomb proof as our old Freelander 2 that I kept for 185,000 miles, the jury is out, ask me again in another 30,000 - in my mind you have to live with a car for 50,000 to get a proper feel. Is it a very nice place to be - yes. Is it a nice car to drive - depends, it will never be a golf GTI, but still capable of hustling well and when you get out after a 200+ mile trip to a customers premises you feel capable of doing a days work, rather than needing a massage, so a really good cruiser. That I will happily take her ladyship to London and back for a shopping trip (200 miles EW) just for the enjoyment of the drive says something.

Are the dealers all criminals - no, there are some shocking ones out there, some are actually very good, unfortunately the very same dealership can sometimes be chalk and cheese depending on who you see / pressures from above.
Can't go without mentioning LR assistance - brilliant absolutely brilliant.
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

pcheaven

Post by pcheaven » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 am

Andy131 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:56 am

Is it as bomb proof as our old Freelander 2 that I kept for 185,000 miles, the jury is out, ask me again in another 30,000 - in my mind you have to live with a car for 50,000 to get a proper feel. Is it a very nice place to be - yes. Is it a nice car to drive - depends, it will never be a golf GTI, but still capable of hustling well and when you get out after a 200+ mile trip to a customers premises you feel capable of doing a days work, rather than needing a massage, so a really good cruiser. That I will happily take her ladyship to London and back for a shopping trip (200 miles EW) just for the enjoyment of the drive says something.

couldn't agree more. It will never be a sporty drivers car, largely as it wallows too much. But as a Grand Tourer, it is genuinaly a wolf in sheep's clothing, and surprisingly excellent.
Silver 2020 D240 R Dynamic HSE - with the terrible ( IMHO ) premium LED lights
Orange 66 DS HSE +toys - Bi xenon excellent headlights
Other JLR products