New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pipkins1974

Re: Discovery sport new - media & Bluetooth

Post by Pipkins1974 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:17 pm

dangezza wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:20 pm
paulj wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 am
See another thread on bluetooth problems. The latest Android version (named PIE) stopped the bluetooth working properly on Samsung phones in JLR cars, mine included. There was another Android update last week, but this didn't fix it. I raised the issue with Samsung and they gave me things to try which didn't work, so they said I have to wait for their developers to fix it.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6011&p=105806&hili ... th#p105806

I have a Samsung s10+ and had bluetooth problems with it ever since I got it. I.e songs would randomly stop and then start again for anything up to what felt like 30 seconds later.

There are two fixes for this. The first one is to go into the system apps and reset the cache for bluetooth. This didnt work for me.

It seemed to be with spotify so I uninstalled spotify then reinstalled. Downloaded all my songs again (it saves playlists). Hey presto, uninterrupted music.

Worth a try...
Thanks 👍

Pipkins1974

Post by Pipkins1974 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 am

Update

Usb connection to phone only charges , no mirror of Spotify or audio

Phone connection unstable , tried 4 phones

Spotify plays through audio if phone disconnected from Bluetooth. no track lists, album art or browse function.

iPod works 100% on centre console usb

Garage JLR main dealer , initially said no problems with car......yet service desk had 3 other customers with same fault the day my wife went to get it fixed.

No fix yet for updates .......I join the masses of JLR customers who have a 45k plus car with no phone connection ability. How can this be in 2019 ??!!

If it changes will update.

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:56 am

Something to try ....

1) Go into settings
2) Then System
3) Then About Phone/Tablet
4) Repeatedly tap the build number item until it says developer mode is enabled
5) Go back a page and Developer Options should appear as a new menu
6) Go into Developer options

Once in there, you'll find various options around Bluetooth, including stuff like audio codec. It may be that the DS infotainment responds better to some of these codecs than others.

Part of the problem is that it looks like ICT only supports either an iPod (which means most Apple devices) or a Mass storage device, so things like USB sticks with music loaded. Android some time back stopped making itself available as a Mass Storage Device as this meant that the Android system could not access it's storage if it was connected to an external device. So on newer devices, they only support the Media Transfer Protocol. If LR ICT can't work with this then you get nothing as an audio source over USB. So that is probably the question to get your dealer to ask LR, does it support MTP ...

Be careful changing the Bluetooth audio options, it may break other things... Also I found my ICT a bit unstable with Android connected (Version 8) and it rebooted it a couple of times, once so badly that I lost all my Radio presets :(
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Pipkins1974

Post by Pipkins1974 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Thank you for the alternative options. Anything is worth a try now, as very frustrating that a modern day car struggles to connect to Bluetooth to play media and phone calls successfully.

Listening to media is fine , but with phone disconnected, yet phone only is a non starter.

Personally would like both, but will take phone over media in this instance.

Thanks again for the post reply.

DiscoDriver

Post by DiscoDriver » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 am

Are you running the latest InControl Touch version 3.4?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9454&hilit=InControl+version
MY16 D180 Auto

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:23 am

Just to be 100% clear, I do not believe the LR system supports audio of any kind from an Android device from the USB port under the centre armrest. In the documentation it clearly states that only iPod (Apple devices) or USB Mass Storage Devices correctly formatted (FAT/FAT32 I expect) can be used for audio playback. Android no longer supports making internal storage available in that way, and even if it did, you wouldn't be able to stream audio via apps using that protocol either. It would be limited to playing music files you had put on your phone like a USB stick. This matches with what you are seeing, i.e. the phone charges, but will not play any music or send any audio over USB.

And yes, I agree, not supporting Android devices for USB audio is poor as it's not like they are rare :)

I would try plugging your phone in via USB to the USB charging socket in the cup holder section just to make sure that having an unsupported device on the other USB isn't causing more issues and see if that makes any difference. Probably won't but worth a try.

On the phone, for the bluetooth connection settings to the car, untick contact sharing as well, this has sometimes helped other users get the connection more stable.

There does appear to be some kind of technical bulletin, "SSM74446 - Bluetooth Connectivity using Android operating system devices" on the Tpoix system, I don't know what is in there. Your dealer may share the details with you, some don't.

However, even if there is a software update available, I doubt it will suddenly enable the USB port in the armrest for Android audio over USB, so whatever solution you end up with, it is likely to be limited to audio over Bluetooth. However, this should be fine if it worked, and JLR really should fix that as there is clearly an issue with it.

EDIT: Found some additional clues in the owner guide where it states:
The Land Rover Bluetooth wireless technology system supports Bluetooth® Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) and Message Access Profile (MAP).

NOTES
HFP and A2DP/AVRCP profiles can be connected independently, so a phone can be connected via one, while a media device can be connected via the other, at the same time.
So, in the developer options of your phone you can select different levels of AVRCP profile. In Android 8 it looks like the default is version 1.4, but there are 1.3 to 1.6 available. I would imagine you will have to forget the device, clear any caches and reconnect each time you change it.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Pipkins1974

Post by Pipkins1974 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Found a fix !!!

This has worked seamlessly for a whole day on both my wife's and my Samsung S10 phone.

Plays Spotify and keeps connected to the phone for calls. Also shows all text messages and contacts.

for my S10+ "dropping" connection this was the only solution which works.

I did the following:

1. Bluetooth advanced settings, dual audio on (volume and ringtone sync off).

2. Developer settings, changed PBAP version to 1.1 and turned multiple PBAP properties off.

3. Unpair car from phone, and remove phone from car.

4. Initiate a new pairing with the phone, and when asked I allowed only contact sync, not messages sync.

No problems since, both phone and music connected.

Pipkins1974

Post by Pipkins1974 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:38 pm

for my S10+ "dropping" connection this was the only solution which works.

I did the following:

1. Bluetooth advanced settings, dual audio on (volume and ringtone sync off).

2. Developer settings, changed PBAP version to 1.1 and turned multiple PBAP properties off.

3. Unpair car from phone, and remove phone from car.

4. Initiate a new pairing with the phone, and when asked I allowed only contact sync, not messages sync.

No problems since, both phone and music connected.

Return to “Introductions”