Considering a DS - help

New to the Discovery Sport Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kip Hunter

Re: Considering a DS - help

Post by Kip Hunter » Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 am

I agree with the above and will not entertain a diesel powered DS until they have totally redesigned the exhaust. I found some additional reviews by owners at Car Buyer that I think are worth reading.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/land ... er-reviews

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 am

Way318 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 pm
Same here for the 25% and its definitely worth a ring around to see whats available.

Were are you located?
South Wales, so I’m pretty limited to Cardiff (50 minutes), Swansea (70 minutes) or Hereford (35 minutes) for local dealers. Gloucester and Bristol area aren’t out of the question at ca 60 minutes each either. Looks as though Likes Land Rover at Brecon has ceased LR

Way318

Post by Way318 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 am

The dealer were I got mine (Bolton) have confirmed they do still have some white Landmarks available, but bit of a distance away from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue May 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Kip Hunter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 am
I agree with the above and will not entertain a diesel powered DS until they have totally redesigned the exhaust. I found some additional reviews by owners at Car Buyer that I think are worth reading.

Thanks for the link - will have a look.

Was intending calling around today, but son lost his iphone this morning on route to school so have spent every spare minute sorting that out - kid's eh !?

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue May 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Kip Hunter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 am

I suppose i shouldn't have expected a glut of 5 star reviews, but the feedback there is pretty shocking (although not unexpected from my readings the last few days) - why anyone would buy a DS after reading the reviews is hard to believe, perhaps they like a gamble !

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 pm

It really is just the DPF and resultant dilution issues...

And unfortunately it is pretty much a lottery as to whether it will be manageable for you or not. No car will reach 21k without huge dilution. It's a case of whether your journey type (80%) and driving style (20%) allow enough active regeneration to complete to in turn get you to an acceptable mileage or time period before you need an oil change. I think most people would settle in the real world for 12,000 miles or 1 year.

If you are really unlucky, then you could be stuck in DPF hell with regular warnings, and worse, DPF full problems on top of very frequent oil changes.

And you won't know until you've had one for a few months.

Aside from that, now the early build issues are all resolved, it's a great car, which is the huge shame of it all.

If the updated model fixes the diesel exhaust system, and it doesn't re-introduce build problems, then it ought to be a huge success for LR and owners alike.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Ian_S wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 pm
If the updated model fixes the diesel exhaust system, and it doesn't re-introduce build problems, then it ought to be a huge success for LR and owners alike.
+1

The MY19 petrol is superb as the build quality is great (as it should have been from the start of course) and has eliminated the DPF issues. If the MY20 is as well built as the MY19, and the diesel emissions gear is redesigned / relocated it will be a fantastic car.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Well I did manage to speak to one dealer, and he was pretty helpful and informed in fairness.

Looks like there are currently 2259 unsold DS on the books of JLR, albeit some are tagged build slots so will never actually be built as they have finished DS production.

The dealer is spoke to had a variety of D180 auto landmarks coming through in mid to late June but all were standard spec with just a space saver spare wheel addd, Narvik black or Yulong white. I’d have to collect by end June to qualify for the current discount offering. Maybe that will be extended into July-sept period but stock will obviously be reducing over the next few months.

As it stands now i’d be looking at running my existing car for the rest of its pcp alongside a DS, for 8 months. That’s not really good , or sensible, financially. No chance of exiting the current pcp either as it set up to only be worth running it to full term such is the fgv and the original discount.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Mon May 20, 2019 7:53 pm

Called my next nearest dealer this morning to check on availability, had to leave a message but 3.5hrs later I’d had no calll back. As the dealer was 16 miles from my office I took a longer lunch break to pay a visit, perhaps hoping for a quick test drive. Lovely showroom, with ca £0.5m of stock in the showroom, three sales guys playing games on their mobiles (yes, I did walk right past their desks to check!) and not one bit of customer interface.

Eventually a young lady came across, who looked barely out of school and frightened to death at the thought of talking to a customer! In fairness she knew straight away what the stock position was, but it was a case of being left to look at a SE Tech spec car in the showroom, so full of accessories that the boot was full and you couldn’t sit in the second row seats for seat back organisers and other clutter. A customers landmark edition was waiting collection so at least I could look at that externally (noting the light scratches on the drivers a pillar and evidence of paint overspray on the passenger side doors near the window scraper rubber).

Test drive ? “Errr, you’ll need to make an appointment and come back another day.”

No thanks, maybe footballers and lottery winners aren’t fussed about what they buy, so good luck to that dealership. They’re a poor face for JLR, and won’t see me again.

On better news my current PCP may be somewhere near parity on the equity front, so who knows there may still be a deal to be done at the first dealer.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 pm

Placed my order today

TD4 180 AWD Auto Landmark
Narvik Black
Confirmed Carpathian Grey contrast roof
Traffic sign recognition
Reduced section spare wheel

Wangled a fuel tank of fuel to seal the deal, in fairness the dealer didn’t exactly have much scope since I was buying via the Priviledge scheme.

Should be able to collect around 1st or 2nd June

So a few questions..

Is there much in the way of convenience features that can be programmed during the PDI (single door unlocking, auto lock on drive off, etc.) ?

Are there any software updates I need to ask for to ensure I get the latest versions - sat nav, phone connectivity, general software updates ?

Thanks

Return to “Introductions”