Discovery Sport Forum banner

Noise Over Speed Bumps

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  haider423 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a DS 2015 SE Si4. I bought it from the dealership as certified approved vehicle. The car runs very well and i like it. However, there is this one thing that is bothering me and that is when i cross any speed bump with front tires touching the speed bump at the same time there is a ticking noise coming from the front suspension (tick-tick) feels like when the spring is pressed there is one tick and when it is released there is one tick. There is no noise when i cross the speed bump diagonally. I have showed this to the dealership and they also experienced this but couldn't find the problem. They have said that they have check another DS and it also gave the same ticking noise. They also informed that they are asking JLR for technical references. So i am wondering if anyone here has experienced the same, is it normal or what repair methods you adopted to rectify this.

Hope i am able to make you understand the problem. please let me know about it.

thanks.

#3 ·
There are old posts of clunk over speed humps , solved by a pot of glue on shock absorber caps.
Is the tick a predecessor to the clunk ?

#5 ·
It was the front shock absorber caps on mine, warranty fix. A friend has also similar on their Evoque which is a MY15, just had the front bushes replaced before warranty ran out.

#8 ·
County said:
haider423 said:
Hi All,

I have a DS 2015 SE Si4. I bought it from the dealership as certified approved vehicle. The car runs very well and i like it. However, there is this one thing that is bothering me and that is when i cross any speed bump with front tires touching the speed bump at the same time there is a ticking noise coming from the front suspension (tick-tick) feels like when the spring is pressed there is one tick and when it is released there is one tick. There is no noise when i cross the speed bump diagonally. I have showed this to the dealership and they also experienced this but couldn't find the problem. They have said that they have check another DS and it also gave the same ticking noise. They also informed that they are asking JLR for technical references. So i am wondering if anyone here has experienced the same, is it normal or what repair methods you adopted to rectify this.

Hope i am able to make you understand the problem. please let me know about it.

thanks.
It was the front shock absorber caps on mine, warranty fix. A friend has also similar on their Evoque which is a MY15, just had the front bushes replaced before warranty ran out.
Can you please post a picture for this? thanks.

#10 ·
Oooh i thought it was just mine making a noise when exiting a speed hump, ie when the front suspension drops before the car, only noticed since I've been driving around with the windows open :) , Call to the Dealers tomorrow.

#11 ·
Stagecrew said:
Oooh i thought it was just mine making a noise when exiting a speed hump, ie when the front suspension drops before the car, only noticed since I've been driving around with the windows open :) , Call to the Dealers tomorrow.
That's how I caught mine in the first instance :shock:

#12 ·
Mine has just had the two front shock absorbers replaced under warranty. The noise going over speed bumps sounded like a handful of coins being lightly shaken. Only heard it by chance with the window open and mentioned to the dealers when it was being serviced and having an MOT. It also had a steering joint replaced at the same time.

#14 ·
Hi All,

Just to update you on this, i went to JLR and they did the repair as per technical bulletin for mud cap fixing. But it didn't work 100%. the noise is very much reduced but not gone. The noise feels like the computer mouse clicking only slightly amplified.

Also, JLR allowed me to test their other similar vehicles again and i tested 3 of them. All of them had the same noise. the technician said that it is a characteristic of the vehicle. there is nothing wrong with it.

Hearing you guys say that there is no noise coming from the vehicle makes me so confused now.

Any way, thanks and regards.

#15 ·
haider423 said:
Hi All,

Just to update you on this, i went to JLR and they did the repair as per technical bulletin for mud cap fixing. But it didn't work 100%. the noise is very much reduced but not gone. The noise feels like the computer mouse clicking only slightly amplified.

Also, JLR allowed me to test their other similar vehicles again and i tested 3 of them. All of them had the same noise. the technician said that it is a characteristic of the vehicle. there is nothing wrong with it.

Hearing you guys say that there is no noise coming from the vehicle makes me so confused now.

Any way, thanks and regards.
Looks like JLR they are fobbing you off, never heard of "characteristic of the vehicle" before. :lol:

#16 ·
Mine used to 'clatter' o ver certain speed bumps even after the fix (on the MY16). My MY17 was the same but less noticeable.

#17 ·
Hello All,

Hope you are all well and enjoying the holidays. Today i am happy to announce that i found the problem and fixed it. Now there is no noise when i cross bumps. The car is smooth and noiseless. I love it.

I did some research on this forum and found the below topic very helpful.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6392&p=71813&hilit=front+suspension+noise#p71813

When checked mine the problem was exactly the same and i fixed it using the same technique of drilling holes but i used the screws instead of using cable ties. Some pictures of the problem and the fix are also attached.

Thanks @screech for sharing and thank you all for guiding me to a conclusion.

Regards.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.