Discovery Sport Forum banner

Yokohama's Geolander G015 initial review

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  guthrie 
#1 ·
HI Guys,

I thought I post this on the forum since so many were happy to advise me on various items for consideration.
Give something back i hope.

Initially when i purchased the DS back in Dec 2017, it came in a dynamic pack with 20" continental cross contacts.
While i found this a great tyre on the road, it proved to be a little unpractical for my work and hunting trips. At construction
sites, i was picking up a nails, screws etc as the rubber was just a little too soft.
I had enough. Although i prefer the look of the 20s, i decided to try and find some original 17" or 18 " LR rims. Finding a set of 17s proved to be quite
a challenge as most vehicles in DS were shipping with either 18s to 20s. After calling a dealership they wanted to flog me almost $3000 for a set of black r 18" rims. I thought surely there must be a sets lying around from people that have traded in their 18s for 20s. So thankfully for ebay, i found a set in Sydney for $899 which someone wanted to offload. Day later had them shipped to Melbourne, and powder coated black (supposedly being more chip resistant and cheaper to spray) and I set the task of finding what i could put on.

The choice i found for A/Ts in the end was very limited when you decided to stick to Discovery specs of 235/60 for r18s. Cooper, BF goodridge etc didn't have anything for A/t in that size. In the end after going through some brands i found a few reviews on the Geolander GO15s, and decided to purchased.

One thing i wanted was to have something, that was both road and a bit off offroad capable for sand, mud etc. (60/40 etc). Supposedly these tyres on the road run at 71 decibels which is quite low for an A/T tyre.

I ran these on the freeway on my trip out and i must say was quite surprise on how little noise they made. They were as what was said. Fingers crossed, have taken them to my construction sites and yet to pick up a nail or be damaged.

I have not yet seriously tested them off road, but the mild ruts i drive through, they just glided through, without even spinning the wheels. I was impressed and thought that was a good sign.

Anyway i have attached a few pics of how they look to give a better idea. If people are interested when i really push them, i try to post a video.

best Regards
Andrew

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting Andrew.
It's always good to get good owner reviews and reports on items tried and tested on the DS.

Hope you stay nail free, they look to have a good off road deep tread too ,

I have t heard of these being fitted on here before either.
Please come back and update us how they perform going forwards

Lovely pictures of your DS too !

#3 ·
Will do Barnsh, happy to post more as i find out.

I was little surprised too, about not much talk on these type of tyres in any of the threads as i tried to search.

Being an A/T , i thought these types of tyres would be popular as it saves people having to swap over for an winter set etc.

cheers
A

#7 ·
stevesparks said:
… did you notice and decreases in fuel economy ?
I have recently gone from 235-60-18 Wranglers to 245-65-17 Yokohamas. Ive found that the fuel economy is probably a couple of percent worse with the new tyres (I have the petrol motor). Dry grip, road noise and comfort has been good so far - cant comment on wet grip yet as it is summer here in Perth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.