WINTER TYRES ORDERED

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Posiden

WINTER TYRES ORDERED

Post by Posiden » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:19 pm

The original tyres on my 68 plate disco sport are looking like they won't last much more than the 21000 on the clock now, I think I might get another 2 to 3000 miles tops. They are the OE Continentals.

With winter coming on Ive order a full se of Vrederstien Wintrac Pro tyres.

I ve previously run several sets on Vredestien winter tyres before on my Freelander 2 and they were brilliant in snow / icy conditions and I used them right through the year.

To be honest they were excellent in the wet and gave as many miles as any M+S or 'all terrain' tyre Ive used before.

I was expecting better mileage from the original tyres but it seems most modern tyres wear out at about 25K miles no matter how you drive.

I will report back on the performance of the new tyres.

SarahStreet

Re: WINTER TYRES ORDERED

Post by SarahStreet » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:31 pm

I am surprised at the wear on the Conti's - I assume that they were Cross Contact LX Sports, not the 'Eco' version?

OE Conti's should provide at least 35000 miles, and average on bench 38-40k, assuming a rotation every 10k. Of course, driving pattern and style are relevant, but 21000 is poor by any standards.

With regards Vredestein Wintrac Pro, they are arguably the best winter tyre on the market, and as you rightly say, will happily run all year round for a good long mileage. I have yet to see anything beat them on the white stuff for traction, and at the DS Press launch in Iceland back in 2014, the fleet vehicles used a mixture of Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme (Pro hadn't launched back then) and Hakipelleta studded tyres - essential in Reykyavic. The cars didn't put a foot wrong out there, here's a reminder:

stooby

Post by stooby » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:51 am

21000 miles on the Continentals? If only. My OE set lasted 12000 on the fronts...
MY2017 HSE Lux Corris Grey, Almond Interior, Privacy Glass, Auto.

GSKM

Post by GSKM » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:11 am

I change my wheels between winter and summer sets around Nov and March. The summer set I fitted new tyres for the front as the outer edges were looking a bit low, still legal but lower than I like. The car had done just under 40k. My driving is mainly 20 miles on motorway each way to work, but I have some large roundabouts at either end which can be a bit fast, so scrubbing the edge. I guess I got 20k out of the fronts, the tears are still going.

My winter tyres are the same as yours. Until you’ve driven on winter tyres you don’t know what they are capable of. I run an early set of Evoque rims for my winters to save knocking up my normal wheels. The only issue I have is the TPMS system doesn’t like them. The sensor gives wrong info for a day or three then gives up.
2018 MY DS HSE, manual 180, Firenze Red.
2015 MY Freelander 2 SE Tech. Very good.
2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet. Very unreliable.
1983 110 hardtop 2286. Wish I still had it.

RPR

Post by RPR » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 am

stooby wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:51 am
21000 miles on the Continentals? If only. My OE set lasted 12000 on the fronts...
My original factory fit tyres certainly didn't last much over 20,000 and I don't wheel spin, drive hard etc.
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:02 am

The Contis on my DS are still in pretty good shape at 18,500 so I'm expecting them to go another 10k at least, but this does surprise me a little as I've never had a replacement tyre of any brand do better than 20,000 miles. I'm always thrilled if I get over 18k on a set on the Jag. It's rather like bulbs. The factory ones last forever but when you eventually do replace them, however good the brand, the replacements last a fraction of the time. I know it's only anecdotal but it does seem you can't buy the exact same tyres (or bulbs) as the factory, whatever it says on the sidewall.

As for winter tyres, I absolutely get it if you live up a mountain, in the depths of Scotland, on the Pennines or do some proper mud plugging. Also if you plan a European trip, say for skiing. Then certainly a very wise investment.

But hands up who does? 99% of us live in cities and travel on A and M roads. "Summer" tyres are "rated" to 7 degrees, which doesn't mean they instantly become ditchfinders at 6 degrees, but rather they're not quite as good and you should apply a modicum of caution. Factor in ABS/ESP etc and they're very unlikely to get you into trouble unless you're on bad snow or ice. Equally, winter tyres are rated up to 7 degrees which means they're not as good above that and the same caution applies.

Whilst we do get temperatures below 7 in the UK occasionally, it's remarkably rare. The last snow I saw was nearly 3 years ago and a quick look at the charts shows < 7c is getting less and less common and it's really only a possibility December to Feb, and then not every day. The rest of the time, the UK is actually technically too warm for winter tyres.

Put simply, whilst some certainly do benefit from them, winter tyres are unnecessary for 99% of us 99% of the time here in the UK. When the conditions are really bad, bad enough to cause a car with the abilities of a DS, even on summer tyres trouble, the official line will be don't travel unless strictly necessary. I know I've happily cruised around in our summer tyred Freelander2 in snow in the past and laughed as I cruised up steep hills past stuck fwd cars. I'm sure it would have been even better with winter tyres (braking and cornering were still concerns) but driven sensibly there was never a moment of worry.
Even during the "beast from the east" 3 years ago, when I found myself the wrong side of the pennines in a 255/35/20 summer tyre shod Jag, I was still able, with a little care, to get where I wanted without incident. No question, I'd have loved a winter tyre shod DS at the time, but 1 week later, all was back to normal.
So whilst it may be a wise investment for the OP, for most of us, not sure it is?
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

Posiden

Post by Posiden » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 am

Totally agree with the above but I live in semi rural Cumbria where you don't see a gritter very often even on the main roads, the back roads never get touched.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:46 am

Yes, I concur, the U.K. only seems to get a decent snow snap once every 10 years or so. However, if you live in the Highlands I daresay that it's a no-brainer.

My next door neighbour is currently running a Velar D300 R-Dynamic, and has been using Michelin Cross-Climates since January. He reports that they are the perfect compromise and he doesn't have to worry about swapping wheels over twice a year. I don't know if anyone else here is running these tyres on a DS, but it seems like a good compromise to me, albeit not a cheap option! (Not on 22" wheels at any road)

Posiden

Post by Posiden » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm

I ran a full set of Cross Climates on my FL2 but they wore out a lot quicker than i expected at about 18000 miles. plenty of gip but very soft compound.

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:04 pm

I had Michelin Cross Climate on my previous DS after the OE Continentals got low after 35000. Did 25000 on the Michelins before trading the DS in for my current MY19 and there was plenty of tread (about half worn?).
I intend to fit Cross Climates again with the OEs wear out on current DS (currently OK at 26,00 and swapped front to rear at 21000 service)
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
2003 G4 Disco 2 Tangiers Orange
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo