Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S Winter Tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Badgerface

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S Winter Tyres

Post by Badgerface » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Just a heads up - this previously unrivalled Winter tyre has been superseded by the new Wintrac Xtreme Pro. As such, the Xtreme S has tumbled in price, and if you look carefully enough out there, you can bag them at under £100 each, which represents huge savings over the old MSP.

Grab them whilst you can..........👍
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

BFGDSMan

Re: Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S Winter Tyres

Post by BFGDSMan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:37 pm

I will be fitting a set of Xtreme Pro's on my wifes E Cab in the next couple of weeks. I was going to put on Michelin's (as we are keeping the car long term) but they are just too expensive. Tyre place reckons they are the next best thing. I had Snow Pro 3 about 10 years ago on a Focus and couldn't rate them highly enough.

And before anyone says "I got a 4wd Landrover I don't need winter tyres", the tyres are the only thing providing mechanical grip and friction on the road surface, 4wd might help with the former to pull away but is diddly squat helpful in providing the later to help you stop again!

I have often wondered that with UK H&S Legislation pervaiding into all walks of life why winter tyres for company cars/vans/trucks have not yet become mandatory? If a company provides a car and expect you to drive it and you crash because you have the wrong tyres fitted and injury yourself/someone else is that not the same as giving you a piece of equipment (say a power saw) without the requisite PPE and expecting you to use it (even if it is an individual responsibility not to do something that endangers your own/other safety)? - maybe that's for another topic? :o :o
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

Going: TD4 HSE Lux Auto (before it falls apart)

Collected - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet
Arriving Mid Oct - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Pro's once the white stuff lands - there are no reviews of this tyre in the UK yet, largely because this is new to market.

And yes, I totally share your sentiments regarding Winter tyres - it really doesn't matter how many wheel-drive you have, you cannot and will not overcome basic physics at the end of the day.

Given our fluctuating climate, the sooner they become mandatory legal during the winter months the better as far as I am concerned....I am sick of seeing Sales Reps in company Audi's spinning off in the snow because they are a) still on Summer tyres, and b) driving like utter tits! It would help if employers made company car drivers take a mini internal driving competency test before being let loose in a company leased vehicle. Schneider used to insist on this as a condition of employment before being handed the keys.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:31 pm
Sales Reps in company Audi's spinning off in the snow because they are a) still on Summer tyres, and b) driving like utter tits! It would help if employers made company car drivers take a mini internal driving competency test before being let loose in a company leased vehicle.
The last company I worked for brought in some RAC assessors and risk assessed us based on our responses. Amazing how many people had to go the advanced class for "re-education" (although somehow I escaped extra training...)

Past master

Post by Past master » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm

School I worked for insisted all minibus drivers took a simple test. Wouldn't let me take it - no need apparently as I already had a HGV licence :?
Back on topic an Italian I met was doing contract work at Sellafield in winter. Took his hire car for a spin in the Lake District and was horrified when it wouldn't stop. No damage but he couldn't understand why the hire car was allowed out on summer tyres in winter.
I found my DS was very sure footed on ice the first winter I had it, but I have still preferred to fit winter tyres since then (and encountered no ice as a result...). You only have to see normal BMWs, Mercs and vans swanning around happily in the snow on the continent to realise how much difference it makes.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 am

Past master wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm
I found my DS was very sure footed on ice the first winter I had it, but I have still preferred to fit winter tyres since then (and encountered no ice as a result...). You only have to see normal BMWs, Mercs and vans swanning around happily in the snow on the continent to realise how much difference it makes.
You only have to driver a DS in snow on proper winter tyres to realise the difference it makes :o :o :o

Incidentally over here in Germany although many hire car companies do their main swaps in April and October, all hire cars from the usual hire car suspects only come with All Season tyres to make sure that they are not caught out. Contrary to popular belief winter tyres are not compulsory in Germany but the law (paraphrasing now) says you must have the right tyres for the weather. If for example you look like the idiot on the BBC 6 o'clock news who is doing a Lewis Hamilton wheelspin at 5 mph in 5mm of snow then the police would fine you for being a road obstruction. There are also insurance implications if you have an accident and are not on the right tyres. Hence why everyone uses them, which means more traffic on the road, which means roads stay clearer as cars travelling over the grit and salt break it up and help melt the snow/ice.

I have to say hand on that the UK gritting crews do as good a job as we see in Germany, but because cars can't/won't/don't get out there (on their summer tyres) and break up the gritting material (as described above) it doesn't have the same effect in keeping the roads usable as we see here in Germany.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”