Back tires bigger than front? danger?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Stathis83

Back tires bigger than front? danger?

Post by Stathis83 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi

I just bought a used DS 2016. It has 19'' alloy wheels. The previous owner replaced the back tires with bridgstone 255/55R19 and the front ones the continental 235/55R19. He said that he did that because the car looks better like this and I agree, but I am worried about future problems in performance or maybe in the suspension?

What do you guys think?

thanks

Badgerface

Re: Back tires bigger than front? danger?

Post by Badgerface » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Never mind the suspension, It is the quickest way to kill your drivetrain prematurely, be it Haldex/rear diff or front PTU. Not to mention the safety element. The first thing I would be doing is getting those three above mentioned elements inspected for unnecessary wear/strain on the pinion bearings. Aesthetics aside, you are storing up major future issues mechanically.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

BFGDSMan

Re: Back tires bigger than front? danger?

Post by BFGDSMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 am

Whilst not as strict as the rules here in Germany (a garage here would more than likely not fit them if it wasn't listed on the vehicles docs as an approved size and/or combination), chances are if they are not listed as approved tyres sizes (there is IIRC a paragraph in the owners handbook saying which tyres can be fitted) your insurance will be invalidated...

Best buy another set of correctly sized tyres and thank the last owners for wasting his (and now) your money??
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

Going: TD4 HSE Lux Auto (before it falls apart)

Collected - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet
Arriving Mid Oct - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”