Adaptive Dynamics - how noticeable is the difference between General and Dynamic modes?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Meddo

Adaptive Dynamics - how noticeable is the difference between General and Dynamic modes?

Post by Meddo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:12 am

Hi all, just after some feedback from owners of DSs equipped with the Adaptive Dynamics pack regarding how noticeable the difference is when switching between the normal general programs mode and the dynamic mode, please?

The reason I ask is that I can't tell any significant difference between the two modes on my DS with AD. I was provided with a non-AD DS loan car recently and the ride on that was so much smoother than my car in either mode that I'm wondering if there is a fault in my suspension (no codes thrown though). If there's any difference between the two AD modes then they are far less significant than the difference compared to the non-AD loan car.

The disclaimer here is that my vehicle has been fitted (prior to delivery) with 255/55/18 BFG all-terrains which will have a stiffer side-wall than the Wranglers on the loan car. My opinion is that although this is likely to affect the ride in General mode compared to the loan car, I wouldn't have thought it would mask the differences between General and Dynamic modes.

Although the dash does show that the Dynamic mode has been selected, and back to General (and the 4WD modes) I'm wondering if the command is actually getting through to the suspension controller - perhaps it's using the dynamic settings for both modes? It seems unlikely, but it also seems like a waste of AUD$2k for this suspension "upgrade" if it's functioning as intended.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Lee.
Due Aug 17: DS SE 180, Indus Silver, 5+2, Adaptive Dynamics, Fog Lights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Surround Camera, Memory Seats

stephank

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - how noticeable is the difference between General and Dynamic modes?

Post by stephank » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 am

I can't really compare one to the other, I'd have to drive the same journey several times with two different cars to really judge.

Switching to Dynamic mode seems to put the car into permanent 4WD. I haven't seen it switch to 2WD in the 4x4 info screen when in Dynamic mode - switching to normal mode has the car switch to 2WD almost instantly.
The reaction or sensitivity of the accelerator pedal, the brakes and the steering is changed, all a bit more aggressive I'd say.
Dynamic mode plus selecting Sport mode really gets you going...
As for the smooth ride - I've swapped from an (untuned) BMW 325d to the DS, the DS is the smoother ride of the two. =^_^=
TD4 180 SE auto MY17, Kaikoura Stone, German Version with loads of extras configured...
...what can I say, I like toys. :D

PaulCP

Re: Adaptive Dynamics - how noticeable is the difference between General and Dynamic modes?

Post by PaulCP » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:13 am

There is certainly a noticeable difference between dynamic and normal mode on mine. On twisty country lanes and roundabouts the car sits more "upright" with a noticeable reduction in roll. The ride is a little firmer but hardly noticeable.

The biggest difference I have found is that Dynamic mode makes the throttle much more sensitive and this, when used with S allows the car to live up to its "Sport" badge. Gears are held for a little longer to normal in both D and S, so much so that in S it probably holds for too long, almost as if it is prompting you to use the paddles.

If you don't notice any difference then it does appear not to be working as it should.
HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Black Roof, Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras, InControl Connect, Space Saver Spare

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand....... Sorry to see it go but time to move on

Meddo

Post by Meddo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks for the replies, it appears that I misunderstood how the AD was supposed to behave when I optioned the car. I was under the impression that General mode with AD was similar to/smoother than the non-AD suspension, and that Dynamic mode was required to stiffen everything up. Talking to a service assistant last night (for other reasons) he advised that General AD is still going to be much firmer than non-AD, so it seems like it is actually working as intended. I haven't had many opportunities to throw the vehicle at a corner yet so it may just be that the situations haven't been conducive to highlighting the differences in General and Dynamic modes.

Bit of a shame that my salesperson hadn't had any personal experience to give proper advice regarding this, as with hindsight and especially now having driven them back-to-back I'd probably prefer the non-AD for my current circumstances. Oh well...
Due Aug 17: DS SE 180, Indus Silver, 5+2, Adaptive Dynamics, Fog Lights, Adaptive Cruise Control, Surround Camera, Memory Seats

Meddo

Post by Meddo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:41 pm

PaulCP wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:13 am
There is certainly a noticeable difference between dynamic and normal mode on mine. On twisty country lanes and roundabouts the car sits more "upright" with a noticeable reduction in roll. The ride is a little firmer but hardly noticeable.

The biggest difference I have found is that Dynamic mode makes the throttle much more sensitive and this, when used with S allows the car to live up to its "Sport" badge. Gears are held for a little longer to normal in both D and S, so much so that in S it probably holds for too long, almost as if it is prompting you to use the paddles.

If you don't notice any difference then it does appear not to be working as it should.

Hi Paul, I just noticed this in the online owners manual, regarding what you mentioned with Sport and Dynamic modes holding the gears:

During manual gear selection, with the dynamic driving program selected and the transmission in Sport (S), transmission up-shifts are fully controlled by the driver. In this condition, an automatic transmission does not change up automatically, even when the engine's revolution speed (rpm) limit is reached. The instrument panel briefly illuminates the gearshift indicator warning lamp at the recommended (up-shift) gear change point.
- http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docu ... c/G1799594

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”