New Tyres

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Harry

Re: New Tyres

Post by Harry » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:36 am

Hi all still have a pair of new scorpion 20 inch bought for my evoque part ex for discovery before needed to fit the pair £130 collect from north east England

Past master

Post by Past master » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:45 am

County wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:28 am
Just put two new Scorpion Verde on the front, 26K miles. Only did this after getting a screw in the rear and having to replace it. The rears had 6mm and the front around 4.5mm, so did a swap around and put new on the front, scrapped damaged tyre and kept on of the original front as a spare in the garage. I reckon I would have got at least 30K out of them before they need to be looked at,
Paid £100 per tyre on fleabay and £15.00 fitting at a local garage. ;)
The general advice is to fit new tyres to the REAR, especially on a front-wheel drive car (which the DS essentially is most of the time). See http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/shoul ... t-or-rear/
It seems wrong, but all the advice points that way.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:18 am

The advice is that way to put most grip to the rear to prevent oversteer situations (rear loses grip) unless you like a bit if opposite lick now and again. Understeer (loss of front grip) is generally thought safer....
HSE Black MY16.5 (2.0 180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging, Service Pack.

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Can anyone who has had replacement tyres let me know if they purchased from an independent like Nationwide/Kwik Fit and if there was any issues with the note in owner information "At each tyre change, a special service kit is required for each TPMS valve".

I have Goodyear Wranglers and, as on my previous two Freelander 2s, they've got noisy as they wear so I'm thinking about Michelin Cross Climate that has good reports. Michelin does cost more and Nationwide is the best offer (on Goodyear and Michelin) but can they cope with anything needed on the TPMS to keep it all working properly?

PS 38k miles so far (a lot of motorway) and about 3mm left
2016MY HSE 2.0 Manual Firenze Red
Gone - Freelander 2 XS 13MY 60k miles
Gone - Freelander 2 XS 09MY 95k miles
Gone - G4 Discovery 2 '03 Tangiers Orange 95k miles
Gone - Discovery XS '98 110k miles
Gone - Discovery XS '97 Co. car

deehamps

Post by deehamps » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Chris b wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:25 pm
Can anyone who has had replacement tyres let me know if they purchased from an independent like Nationwide/Kwik Fit and if there was any issues with the note in owner information "At each tyre change, a special service kit is required for each TPMS valve".

I have Goodyear Wranglers and, as on my previous two Freelander 2s, they've got noisy as they wear so I'm thinking about Michelin Cross Climate that has good reports. Michelin does cost more and Nationwide is the best offer (on Goodyear and Michelin) but can they cope with anything needed on the TPMS to keep it all working properly?

PS 38k miles so far (a lot of motorway) and about 3mm left
Hi Chris,

I've replaced my tyres via Blackcircles https://www.blackcircles.com , delivered to my local tyre fitter. TPMS self calibrate after about 15 miles. No need to do anything.

D
March 15 - Discovery Sport HSE Lux, Firenze Red, Black Pack 20", Adaptives, Incontrol Secure/Apps, Wifi, etc

Gone - D4 XS Ipanema sand

Hunters - Guildford

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”