Bumpy ride and marked front discs.

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Dsexplorer

Bumpy ride and marked front discs.

Post by Dsexplorer » Sun May 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Hi All

Hoping for some advice as over the past few weeks I’ve noticed our 2017 DS has developed a slight ‘bump’ in the ride when driving 50mph +. The best way I could describe it is to imagine the surface of the road has been replaced with corrugated cardboard. It’s most noticeable on motorways. I initially thought it was the tyres, but they have been on the car less than 2k miles and there’s no noticeable wheel wobble to accompany the ride sensation.

I took a look at the front brakes today and noticed some odd marks on the discs. I’m now starting to wonder if it’s maybe a braking issue.

I’ve only had the car three months after buying as an approved used (which was a whole other saga) so I’m tempted to take it into the local dealer but I know they’ll say brakes are a consumable and try to land me with the bill for replacing it he discs and pads.

Just wondered if anybody here could think of anything else that could cause the strange ride sensation or the marks on the discs? I’d like to go to the dealer as well armed as possible!

Thanks for all your help.

29047D8E-98FA-4B01-9D37-FAF924FC8DA1.jpeg

984462FD-E08D-4A4B-A5E0-F3CD7B87CBD4.jpeg

2017 DS HSE
2006 D3 HSE - Sold!
2000 D2 - The Replacement
2000 D2 - Drowned in a river crossing gone wrong.

Dashnine

Re: Bumpy ride and marked front discs.

Post by Dashnine » Sun May 16, 2021 11:50 pm

Check the rear tyres / wheels, if you can feel it in the car but not through the steering wheel, maybe you’ve lost a wheel balance weight or if the rear discs are really bad (which is usually the case on the DS) it might be them.

No idea what those marks are, I assume the discs aren’t worn (there’s no lip at the edge of the disc)? When discs get very (dangerously) worn you can get the pattern of the vents starting to show.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Caninecapers

Post by Caninecapers » Mon May 17, 2021 8:53 am

I had a similar noise from the rear nearside tyre, so I nipped in to the local Kwik Fit tyre place. The inner edge of the tyre had ‘stepped’ and was causing the noise. It’s quite difficult to see any uneven wear, even up on the ramp but a new tyre sorted the problem.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm

When i had a RRS it developed a terrible wheel bearing type rumble
2 new rear tyre fixed that.

I fitted pirrellis,much nicer than the wrangler that were on before and never a very quiet tyre
Narvik 250P hse, lovely

Dsexplorer

Post by Dsexplorer » Mon May 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. The tyres are all less than three months old so should be OK but since the dealer can’t look at the car for another week I may as well take it to get the balancing checked.

Rear discs aren’t great but the dealers said they still had some life left although there is a bit of a lip on them, the fronts seem pretty new apart from the strange marks.
2017 DS HSE
2006 D3 HSE - Sold!
2000 D2 - The Replacement
2000 D2 - Drowned in a river crossing gone wrong.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon May 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Those marks look to me loke the car have been paeked up for extended periods and rust has developed under around the pads.

Should just wear back to normal in time
Narvik 250P hse, lovely

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:31 pm

The rear discs corrode a lot, they still seem to work when badly corroded so I wouldn't panic about them too much about them.
If corroded you will need to replace them when the pads are shot as there is no way that new pads will be happy with a disc surface like the surface of the moon
The front discs on the other hand usually have a good clean surface - but boy do they warp if abused, this would normally be felt as pulsing through the brake pedal under light braking.

LR wheels are strong, much stronger than "normal" 4x4 wheels and certainly a lot stronger than the majority of aftermarket ones. They are designed at the outset to cope with 2 tonnes of 4x4 off-road, the average British pothole is a minor irritation. Not saying that you cannot buckle one, think 70mph off road in the desert and hitting a lump of basalt - that definitely will do it ;)

So for my money, look at wheel balance, it's not difficult to lose a wheel weight and they make a huge difference.
2018 DS HSE 240D
2016 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Fri May 21, 2021 8:43 am

I'm with Elliot on those marks. They're very clearly made by the pads, which is odd on the front given you'd not expect them to be stuck in one position long enough. But I guess if it's been parked up for long periods and moved occasionally, that might do it.
It'll wear off over time I'm sure. Nothing to worry about.
The tyres, whilst new, does not exempt them from being 'out of round' or a wheel for that matter. It may even be a manufacturing defect in the tyre. It's rare but does happen occasionally.
Have a local tyre place pull the wheels and check them on the balancer. They should be able to see if something is amiss.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 am

41jules1967 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:43 am
I'm with Elliot on those marks. They're very clearly made by the pads, which is odd on the front given you'd not expect them to be stuck in one position long enough. But I guess if it's been parked up for long periods and moved occasionally, that might do it.
Agreed that it looks like the pad pattern - but there's a gap between pad and disc, it's not as if it's the rear disc and the pad is clamped to the disc with the handbrake on for a long time. Most odd.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black