Spare wheel for Disco Sport

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes

Spare wheel for Disco Sport

Post by 33754k » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi guys just had one of my tyres slashed 235/55/r19/105w (Scorpion zero all season).

Whilst i get it repaired was thinking i should get either a space saver or full size steel (not OEM as cost 700).

Any thoughts on
a) space saver vs full size steel (would keep in the garage)
b) where to get this from (think space saver is 170 from JLR), not sure where to get the full size steel wheel equivalent from

thanks

Posiden

Re: Spare wheel for Disco Sport

Post by Posiden » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:35 pm

If you can get a full size spare I would do that. Check to see what you can fit on your car.
I have a 7 seater and don't have room for a either a full size spare or even a space saver, Ive just a bottle of sealant and that has its limits.
To be honest if I was to spec up a new car I would definitely have a spare wheel on it because you never know when your going to need it.
I recently bought a full size spare off e bay and have it at home just in case.
Advise on here was that Evoque wheels fit the Discovery Sport stud pattern on the hub and there's loads of them about.

Posiden

Post by Posiden » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 pm

If you can get a full size spare I would do that. Check to see what you can fit on your car.
I have a 7 seater and don't have room for a either a full size spare or even a space saver, Ive just a bottle of sealant and that has its limits.
To be honest if I was to spec up a new car I would definitely have a spare wheel on it because you never know when your going to need it.
I recently bought a full size spare off e bay and have it at home just in case. £170 for brand new wheel and tyre.
Advise on here was that Evoque wheels fit the Discovery Sport stud pattern on the hub and there's loads of them about.

Past master

Post by Past master » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:36 pm

A single 19" spare might be difficult to come by, as most of the advertised ones seem to be 18". If it's just for emergencies an 18" would do as the outer diameter is the same. DS and Evoque wheels are interchangeable. You can only fit a spare in the car, skinny or otherwise, if the car originally had one. they can't be retrofitted, although in theory they'll go in the rear well if you take out the third row of seats. Otherwise a full-size spare takes up quite a lot of the boot. I have a photo somewhere. Here it is:

carboot.jpg

MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

Past master

Post by Past master » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:44 pm

This could be just what you want: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11755
It's 18", but would be fine as an emergency spare.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black
Now replaced with MY19 D180 Evoque S (new shape)

snowmanx95

Post by snowmanx95 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 pm

Speaking of spares - I'm thinking about getting a full size spare (already have the donut). The OEM rim is fairly pricey - is there any cheaper alternative I can look for (I'm located in the US). Also does the spare need tpms?
2018 DS HSE Firenze Red 237hp

ron

Post by ron » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am

Hi snowmanx95, Yes you should have PTMS fitted.Theres really no point in having three out of four wheels with it .At the same time what is the point in having a spare wheel if its kept at home while you are out in your car.This point became obvious to my daughter who recently had a tyre go down quickly after hitting a pothole fifty miles from home.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:22 am

ron wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am
Hi snowmanx95, Yes you should have PTMS fitted.Theres really no point in having three out of four wheels with it .At the same time what is the point in having a spare wheel if its kept at home while you are out in your car.This point became obvious to my daughter who recently had a tyre go down quickly after hitting a pothole fifty miles from home.
Spares from LR don't have TPMS fitted, there's no display of any spare pressure reading. It's only intended for temporary use, but if you plan on rotating the spare (assuming it's a matching wheel - or not if you don't give a **** what the car looks like) then you may want to splash out on a TPMS, the car will pick it up when fitted.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

ron

Post by ron » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 am

Yes im fully aware having had TPMS fitted to two tyres.

Moggy

Post by Moggy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:12 pm

Discovery Sport D180 HSE LUX 2017 KAIKOURA STONE