How are you cleaning your black alloys?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Torquetube

How are you cleaning your black alloys?

Post by Torquetube » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:16 am

Hi all,

Just became a DS HSE owner with black alloys, just wondering what you are all using to clean your wheels? I use Bilt hamber on my other car but not sure if this would be a bit aggressive on black wheels?

Dashnine

Re: How are you cleaning your black alloys?

Post by Dashnine » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 am

Just washed them with whatever’s being used on the rest of the paintwork. Used Demon Snow Foam yesterday, used AutoGlym Shampoo from the pack that came with the car the time before.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Kruddler

Post by Kruddler » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 am

I coated mine with Gtechnic ceramic wheel protection and I'd highly recommend it. Makes cleaning them a doddle. I just give them a blast with Jet wash and the clean and dry with a microfiber cloth.

I did the rest of the car yesterday with Gtechnic Crystal Serum Light. It took all day but the result is fantastic.
MY19 DS Landmark, Corris Grey, Navrik Black Roof, 511 20" Black Wheels, Dynamic Front Grill, Aluminium Shift Paddles, Black Roof Bars.

Located in Edinburgh

''They'll be back and In greater numbers....''

Torquetube

Post by Torquetube » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I’ll give it a go with some good old wash & wax and see how it goes.

AjM

Post by AjM » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:43 pm

I just use the wash soap (usually whatever is on offer) I use for the car and AutoGlym Clean Wheels for stubborn bits!
Image Finally! Disco Sport HSE Luxury Black

OT76

Post by OT76 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 am

Kruddler wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 am
I coated mine with Gtechnic ceramic wheel protection and I'd highly recommend it. Makes cleaning them a doddle. I just give them a blast with Jet wash and the clean and dry with a microfiber cloth.

I did the rest of the car yesterday with Gtechnic Crystal Serum Light. It took all day but the result is fantastic.
Another vote from me for Gtechnic. I’ve had PPF put on the front end & bonnet of my DS, and crystal serum black on the rest of the car including the black alloys and cleaning is so easy.
MY18 HSE Auto 180 Diesel Firenze Red, Black Alloys, Narvik Black Pack 1, roof rails, heated steering wheel, spare wheel, red shift paddles, BS & RT sensor, service plan, PPF & Gtechniq CSB
Collection date 15/9/17
Buckinghamshire

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 am

I think Autoglym or someone like that recommends using just a little bit of washing up liquid on wheels as you should use the gentlest detergent you can with modern brake dust. It's not got the nastier stuff in it anymore, but the downside is you get more brake dust these days. If you clean the alloys off the car, then use Autoglym's Alloy wheel seal, they clean quite easily after. I can't remember how often they recommend re-applying. I only ever use wheel cleaner for stubborn tar etc, but rarely need to. A decent wheel brush gets rid of most dirt easily I find.

The above has worked for me for years with no major downsides.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm

I use "one-minute wheels" by Greased Lightening when the wheels are really dirty but just wash with Autoglym conditioning shampoo at other times (like the rest of the bodywork).
I have coated my 18" dark grey alloys using PoorBoys Wheel wax. Wish I had done that on the previous DS 19" alloys, seems to keep the deposits down and easier to clean as well as keeping the wheels shiny :)
19MY 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze+Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
G4 Discovery 2 (Tangiers Orange)
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”