What type of snow chains?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
druB

What type of snow chains?

Post by druB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi there

Im planning a trip to the alps in the coming weeks and would like to know what experience users have with snow chains.

As far as i can understand( and i do stand to be corrected!) the DS needs the half traction system (ladders) which cost a bomb and no one seems to rent out.

Would normal chains cause any damage?
Are the spike systems any better?

Ive got 225/45/r20 tires

Grateful for any advice!

Thanks

D

Flagpoint

Re: What type of snow chains?

Post by Flagpoint » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 pm

I used these -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10X-Universa ... 2a93578058
They are like big tie-wraps, you simply attach 3 to 5 of them tightly around a tyre through the wheel with knobbly side out. You'll need some sharp cutters to Snip the ends off before driving to prevent any contact with arches etc (and to get them off when finished with).
Accelerate and brake gently and they'll keep you going for quite a while. They are one use only but will get you out of trouble just like snow chains.
A lot cheaper than chains, much lighter to carry, and really easy to fit when you need them.
I took three sets (x30) with me to the Alps a couple if weeks ago. Didn't need them as my Disco Sport (20" wheels) was more than capable of handling snow and 25cm drifts without further assistance.
We did however fit 8 of them (4 on each of two tyres) to my friends car and they worked a treat!
Hope this helps.
MY2017. HSE Dynamic Lux Sport (180) Auto. Carpathian Grey.

druB

Post by druB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:50 am

Thanks for that. Ill look into it

paulj

Post by paulj » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:55 pm

I just rented snow chains from www.roofbox.co.uk last week for a skiing holiday. I have all season tyres and didn't actually need the chains as the DS didn't blink at driving on snow covered roads up and down the mountain roads round hair pin bends. If it had been icy I might have needed them.

Hire of Spikes Spider chains costs £80 plus a £150 deposit which is returned (they are ~£500 to buy). You have to fit a disc onto the wheel nuts before you go, then the chains only take 30 secs to fit when you need them.
DS SE Tech Auto 2.0 Ingenium, Kaikoura Stone, Xenon lights, 11 speaker audio, Roof rails, space saver wheel, fixed tow bar, 2nd row USB, service pack, leather seats, rear view camera, auto dimming mirror; MAXXRAXX bike carrier on tow bar bracket

screech

Post by screech » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:57 pm

I've just used snow chains in Italy last week to get out of an underground car park. I had the cheapest possible diamond-shaped link type with a steel braided line that goes behind the wheel and a manual tensioner. No problem whatsoever. I just turned off ESP/DCS, so that I have some wheel spin available to dig into the snow when needed.

WIth the DCS turned on (normal state) the car would stop the spinning wheel and transfer the torque to any other available wheel, which is apparently not that desirable in deep snow.

Anyway - seems to have worked fine.

Chris
MY17 HSE Ingenium 180 auto

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”