fitting roof bars to genuine rails

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Quentyn

fitting roof bars to genuine rails

Post by Quentyn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 pm

i ordered a set of genuine roof bars from evilbay and picked them up today

i jut tried to fit them on the car (fitted with genuine roof rails) and they seem to be

1, very high - they will hold the roofbox up really high
2, the jaws really dont seem to want to open up enough
3, they dont seem to be as well made as my freelander ones were ( if i had paid 230 ish rrp for them i would have handed them back)

before I use them in anger i am concerned that i may not be fitting them correctly.. is there a knack ? i can get one size on my rotating it onto the bar but how to fit the other side ?

re concerns over correct product does anyone have a high rez pic of a genuine bar for a disco sport ? mine say "discovery" on the black locking cover but not discovery sport

Q
--
MY17 HSE

flycop2000

Re: fitting roof bars to genuine rails

Post by flycop2000 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:11 pm

I also have roof bars and thought I was fitting them wrong? Your not doing anything wrong, they are just poorly designed. They are harder to fit in cold weather due to the plastic not being as flexible when cold. Remember to check which way round the bars fit, there is little arrows on the end covers. 8-)

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I have the Thule wing bar edge, they fit much closer to the car and look sleek compared to the LR ones. Take a look online.
[img]file:///var/folders/c4/v954c9xs6nd6zk0lmj__lm0c0000gn/T/IMG_0080%202.JPG[/img]

Quentyn

Post by Quentyn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:17 pm

thanks - inspired by your post i fitted them. wow that was a chore

i presume the Thule low profile bars ( that are available in black) are better quality ? the freelander 2 bars ooozed quality by comparison

thanks
--
MY17 HSE

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”