Another bike rack question

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
H4SH

Another bike rack question

Post by H4SH » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi All,

Getting delivery of Discovery Sport on the 24th. I ordered it with electrically deployable tow bar and wanted to ask what will be a suitable bike carrier for 3 bikes to go with this. I like the idea of light weight hanging (like the first image below) types but from pictures I have seen online it seems you still need to have a numberplate board as numberplate get hidden behind the bikes, is that the case? If this is the case then I would like a more rigid one like in the 2nd image. Any recommendations? Are all models compatible with all tow bar types or do I need to stick to certain models to ensure they will work on this car?

Thanks
Hash

scratch113

Re: Another bike rack question

Post by scratch113 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Personally I think the towball-mounted hang-on racks (like your first image) are just a little less secure than the wheel-support types (as in your second image).

If you can afford it and really only need to carry 3 bikes, then get one of these:
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... e5K%7BW%7D
as they'll give you the easiest access to the boot when the bikes are on the rack (watch the videos, they really explain it well).

Hope that helps!
Now own: MY16 DS HSE Lux, Loire Blue, Ivory leather, Adaptive xenons, detachable tow bar, service pack
Previous: 2008 Audi A5 coupe 3.0TDi Sport quattro, Superchips remap to 295bhp/580Nm, Milltek exhaust, lots of toys.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Yes you'll need a rack with a number plate if the bikes obscure it. Most bike racks will hold the bikes high enough or far away enough to avoid the exhaust gases.

I use a Buzzwing 4 from Roofbox, but that's a 4 bike rack, they do the Buzzwing 3 (3 bikes) for £225, but you can get a 5% discount via Camping and Caravanning Club website (no membership required). Rack tilts for access to the boot and has 'rigid' straps to secure the bike rather than nylons ones that get frayed and are horrible to use.

Roofbox have a good selection of racks, pick one to suit your budget and needs. You'll probably need a 7 pin (rack) to 13 pin (DS) adaptor. Number plates are £16 from Halfords, you need your reg doc to purchase one.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 pm

scratch113 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:56 pm
Personally I think the towball-mounted hang-on racks (like your first image) are just a little less secure than the wheel-support types (as in your second image).

If you can afford it and really only need to carry 3 bikes, then get one of these:
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... e5K%7BW%7D
as they'll give you the easiest access to the boot when the bikes are on the rack (watch the videos, they really explain it well).

Hope that helps!
I have one of these Atera carriers for 4 bikes - the best carrier available by a country mile and used in several different cars so far :D
Current: DiscoSport 2.0 HSE Lux Auto in Yulong White & Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 Auto in Metallic Black
Gone - Disco Sport 2.2 SE Tech
Gone - Discovery 4 Commercial

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 pm

My Buzzwing 4 rack:

image.jpg

HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

Plumpton

Post by Plumpton » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi, I've been researching this as I need a two bike carrier to fit on the tow ball. I've decided on a Witter which has the 13 pin electrics and tilt mechanism when you need to open the hatch. Weight it can carry is 35kg in total (my bikes are 17kg and 15kg). Witter do them directly (£200) with free delivery and are cheaper than Amazon (£60 more on Amazon). They also have carriers for 3 and 4 bikes I believe. The only extra is a lockable wheel to lock one of the bikes to the frame and costs about an additional £15). It has a number plate holder and light board as standard. The carrier locks onto the ball but can be removed and stowed in the car when you are out and about on the bikes. Check out their site online.
DS SE Tech 180 Auto June MY17, Yulong White, roof rails, det tow bar, service pack :)

H4SH

Post by H4SH » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank you everyone who responded, all your input is much appreciated.

Cheers
Hash

Shackster

Post by Shackster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Be careful with weight when selecting a bike carrier; the allowable tow bar nose-weight is not the same as the allowable weight of tow ball mounted accessories - see my post (with extract of the manual) on this page:

viewtopic.php?p=58001#p58001
MY17 HSE Black in Firenze Red, auto - B-pillar rattle and others - gone

RegG

Bike Carriers....

Post by RegG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 am

What bike carriers are members using on their Sport?

I was able to fit two road bikes inside my old D4 using a floor mounted rack that took the front forks of the bikes. I doubt very much that there is enough height in the Sport to use a similar mount, especially as the seats do not fold flat as they did in the D4.

I have had roof rails fitted so will probably have to go down the route of fitting roof bars and bike carriers. A tow bar mounted rack is not really an option as we also tow a caravan!

Anyone with any suggestions?
2017 HSE 2.0 TD4 Auto, Firenze Red, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails
Previous Land Rovers:
2012 D4 HSE, Ipanema Sand
2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4, Biscay Blue
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6, Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200 TDi, blue

TimK

Re: Bike Carriers....

Post by TimK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi Reg,
No answer I’m afraid, but I am looking to to do the same, i.e. find a neat way to transport 2 mountain bikes inside my DS (when I get it next week!). I’m not keen on roof racks and my car won’t have a towbar fitted. I reckon that with the front wheels removed, they would sit upright in the back. Here’s hoping...
Tim
MY17 DS SE Tech 180 Auto. Corris Grey/Lunar leather. Privacy glass. Pano sun roof. 19” wheels.

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”