Discovery Sport Forum banner

Fitting Roof Rails

Tags
roof rails
133K views 175 replies 59 participants last post by  ///M 
#1 ·
Roof rails were a simple job! In fact, the mudflats, side steps etc have all been so much easier and simpler to do than the same items on a Freelander 2!

First thing to do was to pop off the covers

Slot in the mounting brackets and bolt them down.

Place the roof rails on to the brackets, remembering to fit the rubber gaskets.

Bolt them down, and fit the covers and job done! Took me about 25 minutes in total to do it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Look nice and smart, I never got them on be FL2, always thought it made the car look a bit cheap. Like them a lot on yours though...

#7 ·
Tre4 said:
Great post thanks Mav.
I've been hunting high and low for reasonably priced rails, something that amazes me isn't a standard fit on Land Rovers, I'll take a look at Fastline.

In your opinion, would they still take a loaded roof box?
Absolutely, they are designed to take roof loads. Just check in the Land Rover specs as the weight limit, but I can't see any difference in these and the genuine LR versions.

#8 ·
Pop73 said:
Mav71 said:
Hi Lee,

I got them from Fastline Styling in Romford in Essex. They advertise them on eBay in either silver or black. Identical to the genuine LR rails, but £184 delivered instead of nearly £500!
Thanks a lot, last one side steps did they come from same place?
Don't think so, but again identical to the LR steps but only £169 delivered and an absolute doddle to fit! You just need a rivet nut tool.

#13 ·
Tre4 said:
Thanks Mav.
It would seem the silver are £184, but the black are £499. It would be cheaper to have the black supplied and fitted by the dealer :-(
Just to clarify and slightly correct my previous post after looking through my emails, my local dealer has priced the black rails as;
Supplying the rails - £446.15 inc Vat or fully fitted £506.15 inc VAT.

#14 ·
Our DS came with roof rails, side steps, mud flaps and chromed door handles. I'll admit I didn't spot these when we bought it but I think they definitely make the car subtly distinctive. View attachment 4487

Attachments

#16 ·
Mav71 said:
Chrome door handles are standard on HSE Luxury, the rear would have been fitted by the dealer.

But they do make a difference.
The chrome handles do look great. I had no idea they were standard.

#18 ·
I was a reluctant convert to roof rails - the dealer just couldn't get the roof gutter covers to stay put despite trying three different pairs - so eventually gave up and fitted some roof rails gratis! Now I've got them I must admit they look very good and although I probably won't ever use them for their intended purpose (I prefer to tow a small trailer than put stuff on the roof) I find myself admiring them every time I see the car :D

#25 ·
HI Mav,

I'm planning on fitting the rails tonight, just a quick one about the fitting setup.

In the Land Rover instructions there are two pieces, F1 & F2, that gauge the positioning of the brackets, I didn't get any with the rail set and you don't show them in your excellent post.

Did you get the pieces in your set? If not, is there a bit of tolerance or is there a little bit of trial and error to get the positioning right before tightening the nuts?

Thanks
T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.