Discovery Sport Forum banner

New Roof Rails Fitted!

47K views 76 replies 33 participants last post by  Globalste 
#1 ·
Ordered some Roof Rails in silver for my DS with Pano Roof from Duckworth Parts using the forum discount and free delivery and I'm really pleased i did saving around £250 rather than letting the dealer do the job.
Really simple job for any average DIY'er.

Here's how things looked before i got started.

Before i started i downloaded these instructions View attachment Fit%20roof%20rails.pdf

Then i went about fitting them during my lunch hour. BTW I work from home!

First of all i decided to label all the parts as per the instructions to try and make life easy!

Next i got set up on the drive with all the Parts and Tools required.

I managed to remove all the plastic cover strips with just my finger's, no pry tool was required. the fronts come of easiest lifting them up from the windscreen end, in fact they were scarliy easy to remove. The rears are best pulled out on there side pulling away from the car as in the image above.

Next was to bolt on the provided brackets using the supplied template guides.

Once the Brackets were bolted on it was as easy as offering the rails into position and bolting them down to the new brackets.

The cover blocks are easy enough just position them above the corresponding apertures and push down!

A quick coat of Autoglym HD Wax on the new Rails and the jobs a good en!

I Bought the rails so i can fix my Thule Wingbar Edge which arrives tomorrow. I also think they have added something aesthetically too which I'm pleased about!
Thanks for reading
Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They look very smart indeed! Great instructions and pictures, I'd love to hear how you get on with them regarding wind noise unloaded.

I've had rails on the last two cars that have been quite quiet but I've never needed to use them in anger, however, I've got feeling that further down the line I'm going to need to use a Thule Weekender roof-box again that I've had in storage for few years so I'd like to know how you get on with these.

#4 ·
Nice right up :cool:

I have them too and not noticed any noise

I fitted them to my previous FL2s and RRS for carrying kayaks

The FL2 had a permanent cross bar nr back which made some noise

Apart from that I only heard them when cross bars fitted

I have swapped front fog light surrounds from black to silver to complement silver rails too

#5 ·
Great writeup Mjw1999 .
I could not find the exact part on the duckworth site, can you please post a link please to the part you ordered, and what is the discount for forum members ?
I would be looking for the black rails though.

Thanks

#6 ·
#7 ·
Item is not listed on the website but do give them a ring as they do stock them. Discounts for forum members is 15% and free delivery.

#8 ·
Mjw1999 said:
Item is not listed on the website but do give them a ring as they do stock them. Discounts for forum members is 15% and free delivery.
Thanks, good to know about the discount and the quality of the product and fittings from the photo's. Thanks Muddy for the phone number. :D

#9 ·
Thanks Muddywheels and Mjw1999, thats helpful. Another weekend project awaits :)
One last thing, are they original OEM/landrover parts or a third party brand ?

#12 ·
hello Mjw1999
if I may ask, what did it cost you to order from duckworth. I was quoted £362 and £420 for the silver and black respectively after discounts.
Since you mentioned a saving of £250 in your original post I was assuming the quotes would be lower by atleast a hundred pounds going by the prices on the LR site.

#14 ·
I got the rails and bars thrown in by dealer

The bars are a pain to fit and remove compared to the RRS bars I had previously and the quality of locking covers is disappointing

#15 ·
Rails look great, pity LR don't fit as standard as many other makes do!! My last car Sportage had rails fitted and I bought Kia bars and Thule bike racks to suit, however they were seldom used as Mrs Pedro does not really do cycling. My plan therefor is to transport my bike in caravan ( haven't told her yet) and negate the requirement for all the roof gubbins.

#16 ·
Agree the rails look great :cool:

#17 ·
krk969 said:
hello Mjw1999
if I may ask, what did it cost you to order from duckworth. I was quoted £362 and £420 for the silver and black respectively after discounts.
Since you mentioned a saving of £250 in your original post I was assuming the quotes would be lower by atleast a hundred pounds going by the prices on the LR site.
I decided to have the rails fitted 10 days after picking the car up and the dealer said if i had specified them as an accessory from new then i would have paid £495, however to book it back in you are now looking at just under £600. Con!! Hence saving just under £250.

Try pushing for 20% off ;)

#18 ·
Fitted the Thule Wingbar Edge after work today which i purchased here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B9DATY4?ref_=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

Love the way it looks for a roof rack. it feels very sturdy indeed. Really Happy with it.
There is about 25 mm clearance between the top of the glass roof and the underside of the WingBars, this should leave around 10mm of clearance from the Jaw Clamps on my Roof box. I will post some pictures of that at the weekend.

#19 ·
Looks good! Nice and discrete. Job well done.

#20 ·
I made an enquiry about getting the Wingbars from Halfords and having them fitted there. Halford's stated that the pano roof warranty would be void. After Halfords called LR requesting permission to fit them.

#21 ·
Kitzie said:
I made an enquiry about getting the Wingbars from Halfords and having them fitted there. Halford's stated that the pano roof warranty would be void. After Halfords called LR requesting permission to fit them.
but fitting the roof rails/wingbars ourselves probably already voids the warranty right ?
I think LR only honour if we fit some of these accessories via dealerships. I've never had to claim so far luckily maybe you or somebody here knows.

#22 ·
I think the problems lies with clearance and the low wingbar. It's a big bit of glass that could smash with vibration from any low binding method.
The wingbar (low) does look cool and very low profile. Spacers are recommended and often come with Thule ski/ bike rack packs.

#23 ·
Land rover sell accessories and provide fitting instructions so I believe they would have great difficulty invalidating unless it was clearly stated

They would find it very difficult to sell accessories if they did this

The warranty only asks for genuine land rover parts to be fitted

Used to be accessories came with 12 months warranty but I think it's 2 years now. If they're fitted by dealer on original purchase they're covered for 3 years same as vehicle

#24 ·
Ironically, the Landrover recommended cross bars are definately debadged standard Thule Aeroblades (I've compared the two), not as sleak as the Thule Aeroblde Wingbar (Low )......

Landrover standard bars = £276.

or, sleak looking Thules aeroblades wingbar edge = £165.

and no, I don't work for Thule :|

#25 ·
We have the exact same combination of roof bars and rails.
Not had any issue with the Thule wingbar edge. Carried roof boxes and bike racks without bother.
We use the easy fix adaptors that use the built in track of the bars ( this way it supports the fixing of older Thule roof boxes that have the square ubolt type fixing)
The wingbar edge is very quiet when left on the roof on their own and I suspect we won't suffer as much fuel economy penalty as other more proud bars.

BB
BB

#26 ·
Kitzie said:
Ironically, the Landrover recommended cross bars are definately debadged standard Thule Aeroblades (I've compared the two), not as sleak as the Thule Aeroblde Wingbar (Low )......

Landrover standard bars = £276.

or, sleak looking Thules aeroblades wingbar edge = £165.

and no, I don't work for Thule :|
The reason that they look to be a re-badges version is because they are. The OE supplier to Land Rover for the roof rails is a company called SAPA, - they have a number of European factories but the DS rail are made in Rotherham.
SAPA own Thule and so the Thule products, or a least the Aeroblades will have been tested and approved. I would think JLR would have a very hard time disproving the use of the Aeroblades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.