Fitting roof rails

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Ian825

Fitting roof rails

Post by Ian825 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:38 am

I fitted the roof rails yesterday, quite straight forward following the instructions, only word of caution would be identify all parts correctly before starting. one which nearly caught me out was the final finishing caps to cover the mounting bolt spaces as even these are RH & LH specific but don't look much different - They are!
Taking the original trims off from the rear (mine has a pano roof) was not easy as the stud threads seemed reluctant to let go as you pull them up but assistance from a small screwdriver helped without any damage to paint or trims.
Use of the provided spacers to locate the brackets before tightening the nuts to ensure correct alignment is a must.
Only real drama was passenger side middle mounting, when I tried this in location it would not fit over the 2 threaded screws (pre mounted to the roof at the factory) looking into it deeper one of the factory mounting points was in the wrong location by a couple of mm as in photo below.

P1010633.JPG

It should look like the other side

P1010639.JPG

I didn't want to try and move the stud so slotted the hole in the bracket to suit the roof mounting.

P1010634.JPG

The bracket looks treated possibly sherardized so after fitting & before tightening the nut I added some waxoyl into the unprotected area of the bracket to prevent rusting, photo below shows bracket in place after minor alteration & before waxoyling etc. it was obvious which way to alter the bracket to suit the incorrect stud location while maintaining the correct final location for the rails to attach to! so I only removed material from one side of the bracket.

P1010636.JPG

I used a small milling head in my cordless drill which made easy & accurate work of altering the bracket.
Ian

P1010635.JPG

HSE Lux Waitomo Grey with black pack!

Moose

Re: Fitting roof rails

Post by Moose » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:51 pm

I think the parts are coated in a Zinc flake material, Delta or Geomet or similar, however the issue you have is interesting, Its a JLR problem but the rail feet should have enough space to allow for some movement.
I will send a link to this post to the engineers at SAPA who make the rails.
HSE Auto Yulong White Cirrus black roof, 20"wheels, Privacy Glass, InControl - apps and secure, Factory tow pack,
Guy Salmon Coventry

Ian825

Post by Ian825 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:08 am

Hi Moose,
Thanks, not sure of the coating but probably as you suggest.
The issue is really with the LR factory 'robot' build rather than the rail manufacturers, but having owned Landrovers for around 20 years now it didn't surprise me this is more a post to help others be prepared for what they might face.
The rails fit nicely so SAPA or whomever did what they should - a good bit of kit.
Hopefully mine is the only one that came out of the factory like this - but I doubt it :lol:
Ian
HSE Lux Waitomo Grey with black pack!

philipgsmith

Post by philipgsmith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Very many thanks Ian.

My new roof rails will arrive this week and I will be fitting them (probably Wednesday).
Your article is a tremendous help. I will take great care to check the roof bolts are lined up correctly (shame on the LR robot!).
I will also set out the parts beforehand and mark them with red and green markers before installation.

Thank you too for the photos - a great help to the rest of us. My LR dealer wanted £160 to fit them - from the sound of it a DIY task for about an hour for a beginner like me.

Best regards

Philip Smith
Philip Smith
November 2015 : Discovery Sport 2.0 TD4 (Ingenium Engine) HSE
Fuji White /Santorini Black Roof (Style Pack 1)
Panoramic Roof; Cirrus Grey Leather Interior; Second Row USBs; Space saver spare wheel;
5 year service pack

wolfy

Post by wolfy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi Philip
Did everything go to plan with the DIY fixing , could I ask were you got the rails from and cost

Thanks
Manual 2.0 TD4 180 Ingenium HSE- Fuji White, side steps,Mud Flaps Detachable Tow Bar and Service Pack

philipgsmith

Post by philipgsmith » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Yes - it all went very well. The first article from Iain825 in Yorkshire was a great help and gave me the confidence to do this. This really is a very straight forward job indeed.

The key is to spend the evening beforehand planning the job and checking that the six (all different) mounting plates are all in the right place, getting the tools and kit ready etc. I also attach the official Land Rover instruction booklet for the roof rail kit.

The black rails I got from China (Aliexpress.com) were very good. Just check that they do supply the 4 x mounting wedges (F1 & F2 in the LR instruction booklet).

The finished job looks just great (I have a Fuji white car with the contrasting black Santorini roof so I opted for the gloss black rails.
Otherwise the silver rails will suit a one colour car.

My detailed instructions are attached.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

Philip Smith

DS Fit roof rails.pdf
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 294 times

DISCOVERY SPORT ROOF RAILS 2016 MODEL #2.docx
(483.13 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

Discovery Sport Roof Rails 2016 Model #1.docx
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 208 times

Philip Smith
Panoramic Roof; Cirrus Grey Leather Interior; Second Row USBs; Space saver spare wheel;
5 year service pack

vinorange

Post by vinorange » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:53 am

New member and new disco sport owner here.
Just swapped from a 59 plate disco 4 to a 65 sport hse and getting it ready for adventures - mainly equipping it with roof storage.

Firstly did anyone fitting aftermarket roof rails have any concerns about invalidating the manufacturers warranty? You know what LR are like.........

Plus does anyone know the distance between the lugs (that take the genuine LR bars) on the rear of genuine rails?

philipgsmith

Post by philipgsmith » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:50 am

The after-market roof rails are an easy fit and also easy to remove. The plastic blanks should of course be retained and are just a push fit.
The rails I purchased on AliExpress at £169 inc. 7 days delivery from HK were of excellent quality and about 1/3 of the cost of LR OEM parts. The LR parts are (in my opinion) a real "rip off" for owners. Personally I have had no qualms whatsoever and the Disco Sport has been into the dealership twice for servicing and six warranty repairs (paintwork/water in the reversing sensors/engine cover recall/ two sets of tailgate struts replacements/ annoying rattles in the rear seats and tailgate) without comment from the dealer.

If you are worried about LR warranty then just "pay through the nose" for LR parts and fitting (about £700 inc. VAT). Fitting is very easy takes about 2 hours once you have read the instructions and prepared all of the parts and items needed (as detailed in my original post). This is one of the times when you "pays your money and makes your choice".

If you want to check the lug measurements then just pull of the black plastic cover (using a plastic pry tool) to check. These just pull off (with a strong tug upwards) and push back into place - very, very easy to do.

We sold the DS in January after so many warranty concerns for a Porsche Cayenne (Diesel) with no warranty issues to date.

Hope that helps

Philip Smith
Philip Smith
5 year service pack

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”