Discovery Sport Forum banner

Door Card removal to sound deadening pads

56K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  RPR 
#1 ·
Removing the door trim cards is a relatively straight forward process in the Discovery Sport. It is not for the novice but having removed door cards in my previous Evoque to fit sound proofing, I have worked out the process. Allow about an hour per door and this will speed up by the time you get to the last couple of doors. There are minimal sound deadening pads fitted in both the Evoque and the Discovery Sport. Fitting extra pads make a real difference, especially if you drive on concrete surfaced motorways as I have to.

The non fitting of puddle lights in the door bottoms makes the installation of the laser logo lights a longer process requiring removal of the door card.
I attach a my information sheet and allow a good half day and do this in a heated garage. Make sure you have a good supply of new door clips as the white ones used by LR are quite brittle. A smear of vaseline on the holes in the door on on the button clips will make re-installation a lot easier.

My doors now close with a nice dull (quality) thud and not a clang. Road noise/ resonance is also much reduced.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: DaveR52
#2 ·
Thanks for this. ... it's something I was wanting to do

#5 ·
This project is not for the faint hearted, so unless you are confident and have done this previously on a simpler vehicle (e.g. Vauxhall Corsa/ VW Golf etc.) then leave well alone!

Philip

#7 ·
I get the sound deadening pads off eBay. I used JTB Supplies Ltd in Manchester this time:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JTB-SUPPLIES-LTD?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

5 x Large sheets for £8.75 with free postage is a bargain. Cut them into thirds this will give you 3 per door and 3 left for the tailgate. The only access is via the main speaker aperture.

They are good quality (and heavy) so they will absorb sound and vibration well. They also have a good quality of adhesive (essential). Don't get the cheap and cheerful ones - they don't last and can fall off in freezing weather. Heat the pads up on top of a room heater for 3 -4 minutes and dry out the inside of the door with a dry cloth and hair dryer. >15 degrees C is necessary. This will make the adhesive stick really well. Make sure you keep clear of the door locks and the window winding mechanism. I have been fitting these to my new cars for about the last 15 years so I really notice the difference on untreated cars. Test the door panels before and after with a "rapped knuckle" test and you will hear what I mean. Driving over concrete motorway surfaces is a really good test. The metal skin of the untreated car resonates at an audible frequency at about 70 - 80 mph.

My last car (Evoque) was very tinny indeed as there was minimal sound proofing on the early cars.

Regards

Philip

Attachments

#9 ·
Use a hair drier to get the sound deadening pads nice and pliable and extra sticky.
The difference is amazing and well worth the effort.
You need small hands and long arms to get access to the door skin via the speaker aperture.

Enjoy!

Attachments

#11 ·
I remember soundproofing an early Ford Fiesta which was 2 or 3 years old when I bought it decades ago, I never thought I'd see people doing this to a car that I would have classed as a premium model. Maybe my hearing is worse than I thought but I haven't had a problem with tinny doors, unless of course it's being masked by the rattle from the dashboard. :lol:

#12 ·
Yasmar said:
I remember soundproofing an early Ford Fiesta which was 2 or 3 years old when I bought it decades ago, I never thought I'd see people doing this to a car that I would have classed as a premium model. Maybe my hearing is worse than I thought but I haven't had a problem with tinny doors, unless of course it's being masked by the rattle from the dashboard. :lol:
Agree Yasmar, DS is quiet enough for me and I have the 2.2 which is slightly louder than the 2.0. , I wouldn't have paid the money I did if I thought it was noisy.

#13 ·
It all depends on what you are used to, I guess. Compare the "door slam" of the Evoque (poor) and the Discovery Sport (which is I agree is better) with other premium models and you will see what I mean. I know that I am particularly fussy on this aspect of my cars. Having had a Mercedes S Class this is the aspirational level I aim for. When you open up the door interior on Evoque & DS you will see how basic the door sound deadening is, especially on the Evoque and front doors of the DS.

Philip Smith

#14 ·
When I go to buy a new car I look for one that I am happy with, if I wasn't happy with things on the car I wouldn't buy it as I wouldn't be happy driving it and would want to sell it. I have owned Mercs and BM's and in my opinion the door shutting on the DS is just as good. The last thing I want to do is buy a new car and start taking it apart to change things on it. The only alterations on mine will be done by the dealers, I just want to drive and enjoy it.

#15 ·
We're all entitled to our own opinions, of course!

Philip Smith

#16 ·
Correct Philip but like yourself I have a 3 year warranty and if my car develops a squeak it would be back to the dealers for the service I have payed for rather than stripping parts out of the car to fix the problem myself.

#17 ·
...........and if you read the numerous posts on the squeaks in the rear seats and the "drooping" powered tailgate struts the dealers have not been successful in resolving many of these faults on the Discovery Sport so far. I have better things to do than to waste three days (so far) @ the LR dealer in getting the rear squeak resolved, failed parking sensors (water in the connectors), drooping tailgate struts, paintwork faults etc.

As I say we are all entitled to our own opinions - you to yours and me to mine. Not sure I will buy another one at the moment - we will give it another 6 months to see if it can match Mercedes quality. At least the new engine is a gem and the interior noise levels are very low.
Philip

#18 ·
philipgsmith said:
...........and if you read the numerous posts on the squeaks in the rear seats and the "drooping" powered tailgate struts the dealers have not been successful in resolving many of these faults on the Discovery Sport so far. I have better things to do than to waste three days (so far) @ the LR dealer in getting the rear squeak resolved, failed parking sensors (water in the connectors), drooping tailgate struts, paintwork faults etc.

As I say we are all entitled to our own opinions - you to yours and me to mine. Not sure I will buy another one at the moment - we will give it another 6 months to see if it can match Mercedes quality. At least the new engine is a gem and the interior noise levels are very low.
Philip
If I'd joined this forum before I'd ordered the DS I'm not sure I'd have bought one with all the scare stories going on. The thing is, I don't have a B Pillar rattle or a drooping tailgate, neither do I have the leaking tailgate, the squeaky rear seat or the sluggish gearbox (once the 'box learned my style). I do have a rattle in the dashboard that I hope is going to get fixed on Monday and yes I'm a disappointed at the size of the fuel tank vs MPG (lies). My point is people don't really join forums to praise their cars they join them to find out how to fix things and find out others experiences. I think overall most people are happy with their DS's.

#19 ·
Very good write up Phillip, I am still waiting for my DS but will almost certainly carry out this procedure when I get it.
There is always room for improvement on any vehicle, no matter who the manufacturer!
Such a low cost "upgrade" is for me, a no brainer.
Many thanks for the document Phillip, it must have taken you an age to produce..

#20 ·
Glad you found it useful. A couple of DS forum owners were less than complimentary about this post (what waste of time etc.!). It all depends on personal standards and taste. I like to have a nice dull thud when closing the door. My first Mercedes S Class set the standard so since then our second car has always had this upgrade. I have done this for about 15 years so I have a routine by now. I just made the effort to take photos this time on my iPhone during the job. The key is in the preparation and having all of the items and tools ready. Just make sure you have a nice warm day to do this as it makes the sound pads easier to fit and the glue is stickier. Clean the inside of the door panels and make them dry and condensation free before applying the pads. The speaker aperture is quite small on the DS so you may have to cut the pads in half to fit them. Also treble check the interior is clear if tools and torches etc. and that the window channels and locks are clear before closing the door panel. Also have some spare door panel clips are they are quite brittle and you are bound to snap a couple per door.
Enjoy!

Philip Smith

#21 ·
Thanks for the advice Phillip, much appreciated.
Don't concern yourself with the keyboard warriors, they often attempt to extinguish someone else's bonfire by means of urination, they just can't resist the urge!
Probably all got weak bladders! :lol:

#24 ·
Die Blende ist etwa 20 cm im Durchmesser. Es ist nur groß genug, um den Arm und den Handzugriff auf die innere Türverkleidung zu geben.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.