Discovery Sport Forum banner

Door Card removal to sound deadening pads

56K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  RPR 
#1 ·
Removing the door trim cards is a relatively straight forward process in the Discovery Sport. It is not for the novice but having removed door cards in my previous Evoque to fit sound proofing, I have worked out the process. Allow about an hour per door and this will speed up by the time you get to the last couple of doors. There are minimal sound deadening pads fitted in both the Evoque and the Discovery Sport. Fitting extra pads make a real difference, especially if you drive on concrete surfaced motorways as I have to.

The non fitting of puddle lights in the door bottoms makes the installation of the laser logo lights a longer process requiring removal of the door card.
I attach a my information sheet and allow a good half day and do this in a heated garage. Make sure you have a good supply of new door clips as the white ones used by LR are quite brittle. A smear of vaseline on the holes in the door on on the button clips will make re-installation a lot easier.

My doors now close with a nice dull (quality) thud and not a clang. Road noise/ resonance is also much reduced.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: DaveR52
#27 ·
Today I have insulated my doors. Bitumen mats and alubytul were used. The result is great. Unfortunately, I still have 4 door clips to buy from the dealer tomorrow. I have the screwed front still sealed. These have broken me.

This was only the beginning
As soon as I know how I get the power cable from the engine compartment into the interior, I will install the rest of my sound system.

Attachments

#28 ·
Kompliziert ist es schon.

Looks pretty complicated Andi. Good looking with the results of your task.

I used to fit sound systems to my cars but in those days everything was far less common.

#30 ·
Wow this right up is awesome.

We will be doing this soon!

I did the rest of my sound system before, I have the HSE LUX which is suppose to have the merdian 380w system but its pretty meh.

We managed to run power cable through the grommet under the break pedal / driver floor carpet. We then removed the driver seat and all the panels on that side and was able to tape into the mid base left and right speakers to get a line level to rca converted as my amp doesn't take line level. We then ran rca and 4awg from the front to the back panel coming out under by the spare tire.

Here we drilled 2 holes in the honeycomb spare tire cover and filled them with JB weld. Once the jb weld dried we screw the amp into it (so it is hanging over the spare tire. We used an existing ground in the spare tire well and voila amp install and out of site.

We had hoped to be able to make a thin mounted / shallow mount sub to sit on top of the spare tire but even the thinnest JL audio wouldn't work. Eventually i decided a shallow dual 10" box down firing with black carpet was the best solution. This lets you put stuff on the box and not worry to much. With the amp mounted under the spare tire cover you can easily remove the box by unhooking the speakers (we used a RC XT60 battery connector plug to make it even simpler.

#32 ·
Thanks for all the pics and useful information pertaining to the removal of the panels.

I'm planning this very project and am pondering if I should invest in a set of speakers.

Can someone shed light on the speaker sizes for both the front and rear doors please? Much appreciated.

#33 ·
I've been looking to upgrade the speakers as well, but the 165 mm size woofer in the door usually comes in 4 Ohm, and OEM speakers are 2 Ohm. Which translates in sound terms to half as loud and more power needed to drive them. The 2 Ohm speakers I've seen are all really expensive, so not really worth the swap unless you upgrade the amp as well. And this is serious upgrade territory, not going there.

#35 ·
I got hem on eBay although the local LR dealer will sell them at a price.

#36 ·
This is something I might seriously consider doing.

I think we are different to our Colonial cousins where taking a new vehicle and customising / improving things is a matter of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.