Discovery Sport Forum banner

Illuminated Sills

23K views 37 replies 1 participant last post by  Woodyspin 
#1 ·
Well, I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the illuminated door sills. So, (knowing that someone else on here has retro fitted them) how easy are they to fit? Is the wiring already there to be plugged in to ?

Also...what happens with the back ones? Do they stay plain or is there an illuminated upgrade for the rear too?

#27 ·
Aclassali said:
Got bored so decided to do the drivers side too lol.

If anything its easier than the passenger side owing to not having to remove the bonnet release handle.

Wiring was a bit more of a challenge on this side as the factory had used electrical tape and the cable was really short so I cut the tape off and this gave me another 2" to play with.

Really looking forward to getting them now.
Just a little word of warning, I have noticed that the sills seem to scuff very very easily. Not sure there is much that can be done to stop this other than wearing soft covers over your shoes 🤣🤣 still worth getting them though as they look smart as a dart 👍

#28 ·
Probably the easiest job I have done on any car and that includes filling the windscreen washer reservoir lol.

From start to finish I reckon it took me less than 10mins.

The wiring was tucked just out of sight under the carpet and held onto the loom with a bit of tape, once removed there was loads of slack on the cable and connector.

New sills offered up and clicked firmly into place.

They give off a nice ice white light and look best at night but you can still see the light during the day.

Worth every penny I paid for them.

Attachments

#30 ·
Aclassali said:
If anything its easier than the passenger side owing to not having to remove the bonnet release handle.
I just tried to get of the handle, but wasn't successful, because I'm not able to pull out the retaining clip.
Is there a trick to getting the clip out so that it doesn't break completely?

Here is a picture of the handle shot from below:

#31 ·
I have purchased a set for my car. Removal of the old sills is very easy and found the electrical connecting socket but then I hit a problem.
How on earth do you remove the blanking plug from the electrical socket?
Both sockets have what appears to be an electrical connector plug rather than a blanking plug.
Can anyone advise?

#33 ·
Further to my post regarding the plugs for the illuminated sills, I attach photos of the plugs.
I cannot see how to take off the blanking part so that they fit the connectors on the sills.
IMG_1666.jpegWhen I did this on my MY16, there was a simple blanking piece which just slid off. I hope someone can help!

Attachments

#37 ·
Further to my post regarding the plugs for the illuminated sills, I attach photos of the plugs.
I cannot see how to take off the blanking part so that they fit the connectors on the sills.
IMG_1666.jpegWhen I did this on my MY16, there was a simple blanking piece which just slid off. I hope someone can help!
Hi there, can I check how you resolved this, I'm having the same trouble 😬

#34 ·
Right, that makes more sense now.

If there is no blanking plate to come away from the male connector socket (ie pins hidden behind it), try heating up a needle or similar and see if you can remove the plastic blank that way?

Alternatively, buy replacement connectors from RS/Farnell and splice them on. Either way it doesn't look too difficult a job

#36 ·
Where do you purchase these illuminated door sills from and are they suitable for original 2.2l DS 2015?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.