Roof rails + aero impact = negative mpg / wind noise?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
MHIGGITT

Re: Roof rails + aero impact = negative mpg / wind noise?

Post by MHIGGITT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Slight wind noise on the odd occasion, possibly due to cross winds. Nothing to worry about and they certainly add something to the aesthetics.

Regards MSH
2016 DS HSE 180 Auto. Corris Grey with Black Roof,, Silver Roof Rails fitted and Panoramic Roof. Interior Cirrus Grey Leather. A few minor interior trim issues, but NO Rattles or Squeeks. Overall very pleased.

Jeynesie

Post by Jeynesie » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:18 am

Robbie.H wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:38 pm
Hi
I have the Thule Wing Bar Edges (9583) in black, fitted to mine. They are aligned to the LR hole positions on the roof rails. I get very little additional wind noise with this set up, even at higher speed. Not expecting to see any impact on mpg either..
I also think they give a good look with the black pack editions..
Hello. I am a new DS owner and new to the Forum. I have recently had the LR rails fitted and am now looking to fit cross rails. I am a fan of Thule products. I have read with interest the various comments on the Forum about the Thule Wing Bar Edge 9581B, 9583B etc. However, when I approached some of the online retailers (e.g., www.roofracks.co.uk), they do not list the Wing Bar Edge as being suitable for a DS with rails fitted. Could someone please recommend a retailer to approach and also confirm that the Wing Bar Edge is suitable. Many thanks.

Jeynesie

MHIGGITT

Post by MHIGGITT » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Fitted silver roof rails against a black roof back on 2017. They always looked quite good. Cost about £200 from a car parts website and after 50000 miles they still look relatively new! Never had an issue with noise at speed not even side winds.
However new DS arrives in September and have decided not to fit any roof rails, it’s a personal preference, but I think the roof rails have started to make my current DS look a little dated! Just my personal view.
Regards MSH
2016 DS HSE 180 Auto. Corris Grey with Black Roof,, Silver Roof Rails fitted and Panoramic Roof. Interior Cirrus Grey Leather. A few minor interior trim issues, but NO Rattles or Squeeks. Overall very pleased.

Jeynesie

Post by Jeynesie » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 pm

Hello. I am a new DS owner and new to the Forum. I have recently purchased a DS (September 2019 reg) and had the LR roof rails fitted. I am now looking to purchase cross bars and being a fan of Thule, like the look of the Thule Wing Bar Edge 9583B, which are the subject of this thread. However, most of the online retailers that offer Thule, do not recommend the Wing Bar Edge for the DS. Having read various posts on the Forum, I am aware that a number of DS owners have fitted the Wing Bar Edge and are very happy with them. Does anyone know why they are no longer being recommended? Should I be concerned? Many thanks. Jeynesie

County

Post by County » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:40 am

I use Cruz crossbars on my non pan roof and remove them when not needed.
I have always purchased from roof box.co.uk😎
RR Vouge
Disco H/L/N/Y
MY56 Disco
MY10 FL2 MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech 2.2D
MY18 SE Tech Auto Petrol

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:56 am

I have Whispbar Aero cross bars and they are silent to all intents and purposes (when there’s nothing on them....). Seem to be branded as Yakima now.

Again, got them from Roofbox but haven’t seen them on there for a while, not sure why. You could try the various manufacturers own websites, Thule, Yakima, Cruz, etc.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

County

Post by County » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:00 am

My original where Wispbars but roofbox no longer sell conversation foot to fit roof rails as they had multiple failures of the unit. I now have a pair of redundant bars, direct fit to roof, not rails which I will be listing on fleabay shortly. 8-)
RR Vouge
Disco H/L/N/Y
MY56 Disco
MY10 FL2 MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech 2.2D
MY18 SE Tech Auto Petrol