Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
Mamil

Re: Flaking paint on silencer

Post by Mamil » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:18 am

41jules1967 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:36 pm
RPR wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:24 am
So why the f**k do they put the black paint on in the first place, never had this on any other vehicle I've owned.
Because someone, wrongly, thought it'd be a good idea and might look nice, but didn't think through that some people would then expect it to last, which of course, given the expansion and contraction an exhaust goes through, plus its exposure to the road, debris, moisture etc, it can't possibly hope to. So, probably they shouldn't have painted them in the first place, and if if they hadn't you'd never have noticed.
There are no cars I am aware of that have painted exhausts. Most are galvanised steel and slowly build up with spots of corrosion as the protection gets battered off.
I'm pretty sure they are stainless steel nowadays. But agree, silly to paint an exhaust system. JLR have shot themselves in the foot by making the silencer visible in the first place, but there's not a lot of room under the back of the car what with 3rd row seats, spare wheel etc to cram in, so they pushed the silencer back and and now it's visible, so someone decided to paint it so people didn't start complaining of seeing a corroded silencer.

They have the same issue with the radiator at the front. Early ones weren't painted but people complained they could see the silver ally through the bumper grille and it didn't look "premium" enough, so after 2016 they started painting them black. Aluminium radiators don't hold paint well, especially when it gets stone chips, so now people complain about the paint flaking off them as well!
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

aingarth

Post by aingarth » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:14 pm

I think that what some are forgetting is that this is only a real problem with Discovery Sport models with a spare wheel. With non spare wheel models, there is a transverse silencer hidden away underneath, just like on a Freelander, and unless you lie down at the back of the car, you can’t see it. So on the majority of Disco Sports and all Freelanders, it doesn’t matter as you can’t really see it.

For those caught out in the past with a flat and an aerosol of gunk, they have chosen a spare wheel. On the models with a spare wheel, ( which unlike the Freelander, has the wheel slung under the boot, there is no transverse box. They have a different exhaust design and the exhaust splits and comes round the wheel and has dual boxes right at the back of the vehicle. So viewed from the back of the car, in the face of any car following, these peeling boxes are the first thing you notice. Gives the same impression as a car which has been tail ended and never repaired. Looks rubbish.
Disco Sport Landmark 180 auto New 29/11/2018
Subaru Impreza New 29/9/2007
Previous Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto New 29/09/2012
Previous Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto New 30/03/2007
Previous - BMW 525i Auto and 528i Auto

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am

aingarth wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:14 pm
I think that what some are forgetting is that this is only a real problem with Discovery Sport models with a spare wheel. With non spare wheel models, there is a transverse silencer hidden away underneath, just like on a Freelander, and unless you lie down at the back of the car, you can’t see it. So on the majority of Disco Sports and all Freelanders, it doesn’t matter as you can’t really see it.

For those caught out in the past with a flat and an aerosol of gunk, they have chosen a spare wheel. On the models with a spare wheel, ( which unlike the Freelander, has the wheel slung under the boot, there is no transverse box. They have a different exhaust design and the exhaust splits and comes round the wheel and has dual boxes right at the back of the vehicle. So viewed from the back of the car, in the face of any car following, these peeling boxes are the first thing you notice. Gives the same impression as a car which has been tail ended and never repaired. Looks rubbish.
I have a full size spare, in the boot not slung under, and a single transverse silencer.
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

RPR

Post by RPR » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:51 pm

aingarth wrote:

Exactly, this is my point. A prestige vehicle that's not that old with flaking paint clearly showing when viewed from behind.
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

aingarth

Post by aingarth » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:19 pm

Mamil wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am
aingarth wrote:

I have a full size spare, in the boot not slung under, and a single transverse silencer.
Well that is one option but not how it comes if you order the new car with a spare. If you do, it comes under the boot floor slung under and with a completely different rear exhaust design. A full size in the boot will seriously compromise boot space and what do you do when you want to fold up the third row of seats, you have to leave the spare at home?

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:14 am

aingarth wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:19 pm
Mamil wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am
aingarth wrote:

Well that is one option but not how it comes if you order the new car with a spare. If you do, it comes under the boot floor slung under and with a completely different rear exhaust design. A full size in the boot will seriously compromise boot space and what do you do when you want to fold up the third row of seats, you have to leave the spare at home?
Do you realise not all DS are seven seater? If you have a five seater the full size spare fits under the loadspace tray where the third row seats would go, and the exhaust has a single transverse silencer.

Spare wheel.jpg

aingarth

Post by aingarth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

That's a good arrangement, more or less identical to my two previous Freelanders which both had full size alloy spare wheels . In the UK, the 5 seat option has only been available on the lowest spec models of Discovery Sport and I don't think the spare wheel in the boot option is available any more even for 5 seaters. Mine is a Landmark edition and they were all 7 seaters. And it was only when delivered I realised it had a different exhaust system.

But does any new car buyer take an interest in the exhaust system? The answer is only when it is very visible and starts looking several years older than the vehicle which is still less than 2 years old.