Flaking paint on silencer

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
aingarth

Re: Flaking paint on silencer

Post by aingarth » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:01 pm

I am not getting Guy Salmon at Sheffield to move on this topic.
I have just spoken to service and they are holding the line. "The black paint is a protective coating which is designed to come off leaving a natural metal colour. A number of customers have complained and in each case, JLR has declined to cover any work under warranty. The best they will do is photograph the silencers when the car is in and send to JLR asking if it can be corrected under warranty. Guy Salmon are unaware of any case where it has been corrected under warranty nor are they aware of a warranty code".
Disco Sport Landmark 180 auto New 29/11/2018
Subaru Impreza New 29/9/2007
Previous Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto New 29/09/2012
Previous Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto New 30/03/2007
Previous - BMW 525i Auto and 528i Auto

SarahStreet

Re: Flaking paint on silencer

Post by SarahStreet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

They are quite correct in what they tell you.

Unless there is a physical issue with the exhaust, silencers et al are not covered by anti-perforation or any other warranty. It is purely cosmetic, and whilst unsightly, there are no physical issues with its manufacture.

The way I see it is that you have one of two choices.

1) Argue with your supplying retailers dealer principle that you don't find it acceptable, and insist that they put it right in-house. (They may do as a gesture of goodwill, but are under no obligation to do so)

2) Go to Halfords and spend a tenner on some Hammerite and do the job yourself in 30 minutes.

I can assure you that this is the least of your worries owning one of these vehicles.