Chip on bonnet - what can be done?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
rosec2

Chip on bonnet - what can be done?

Post by rosec2 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi all,

When I went to collect my (used) Discovery I noticed that it had a chip on the bonnet that hadn't been there when we agreed to buy the car. I wasn't best pleased as I'd paid to have autoglym applied so it seemed likely that it had happened during that process (there were also quite a few nasty marks where the stuff hadn't been polished off properly). The salesman got someone over from the workshop who polished off the leftover autoglym (well what we could see at the time - more was discovered later) and he literally dolloped a bit of paint into the chip to make it at least the right colour.

With hindsight I should have made a bigger fuss at the time but I didn't and so had to tackle it after the event. After a bit of toing and froing (where I was told that it was to be expected that a used vehicle would have a chip) I was eventually told that they'd book it into the bodyshop to have another go. On the day I also had mudguards fitted so the chip was done afterwards. When i went to pick the car up it was snowing heavily and when I looked for the chip I couldn't find it - I was worrying about getting home so I thought that it had been properly sorted and went home happy.

However, on inspection the next day I realised that it actually looks a bit worse, not better (you can now see the base colour again).
so, my very long winded question is.... what can realistically be done about a chip without the whole bonnet being resprayed? Shall I just get a colour match pen and do a more careful dollop?????
MY18 HSE Dynamic Lux 180 in Firenze Red with Black Pack and silly wheels!

Past master

Re: Chip on bonnet - what can be done?

Post by Past master » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Chipsaway did a good job for me but they are a franchise so don't know how good your local franchisee would be. Apparently it also depends on the colour as to how easy it is to match. It sounds as though your dealer is a dead loss - you could try escalating it to the Dealer Principal to see if you can get it done properly, otherwise I'd investigate Chipsaway or similar. Have a look for example at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sh ... ?t=2815684
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Les

Post by Les » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 am

Hi rose 2,
As Past master suggested companies like Chipsaway are good, there are lots of smart repair people around. You could ask the dealer who they use, as I have seen a smart repair company in a local dealership carrying out alloy wheel repairs and also repairing a long scratch on a car just off of the transporter lorry. I had a dent removed in the lower part of the bumper which cost around 140.00 by a local company and was really impressed by the finish.
Now sadly gone 2015 HSE Lux, Auto, 5+2, Kaikoura Stone/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony Windsor 10 way seats, 20 inch 511 Wheels, Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Privacy Glass, InControlTM, Service Pack, Williams ceramic coating

rosec2

Post by rosec2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm

someone kindly opened their car door onto my drivers side handle on Saturday so maybe I can get a two chip deal!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr
MY18 HSE Dynamic Lux 180 in Firenze Red with Black Pack and silly wheels!

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Just bear in mind that your bonnet is aluminium, not steel, and has a slightly different repair process than normal. A decent outfit that knows what they are doing will tell you that in any event.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Sorry to hear about another chip!

It would be good if you can manage to take some before/after photos so we can see how things go as we all have to deal with chips eventually.
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”