Discovery Sport Forum banner

Some 17MY HSEs Missing Meridian Amplifier?

17K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  BFGDSMan 
#1 ·
As suggested in another topic, it would seem that some 17MY cars may have been fitted with the wrong audio amplifiers.

This would explain a lot with mine because I've never been very happy with the audio system. The old Harmon Kardon (non-Logic7) system in my old Discovery 3 sounded better way than this DS.

I just had a look under the front passenger seat to see what was fitted to mine and I could see the dull matt grey metal cooling fins of what looks like an audio amplifier. Personally, I am unable to verify if this is a Meridian amplifier or not because I didn't go poking around enough to see if there was any kind of label on it.

Here's how to find the amplifier:

1. Move the front passenger seat as far forwards as possible
2. Open the rear door and look for gaps in the carpet beside the ventilation outlet
3. Lift the carpet up and shine a torch inside
4. You should see an audio amplifier of some sort

I'm keen to know what each amplifier type looks like. So, if you feel like poking around under the passenger seat, please let me know what the amplifier looks like in your car. Make sure you post the MY and specification as well.

Thanks,

Steve

See less See more
#3 ·
Well that confirms my HSE has the Land Rover amp and not the Meridian amp I thought I had paid for. :evil:

I wonder how Meridian feel about Land Rover claiming they have fitted a Meridian audio system but they haven't.

Thanks for posting the pictures, stownrow.

Steve

#4 ·
Didn't Stownrow answer this in the other topic?
"For those that want to check, if you pull back the carpet under the passenger seat and see a metal amp then it's not a meridian. If you see a black gloss amp then you have an actual meridian system. "

#5 ·
The other topic was about stownrow's cracked windscreen.

I decided to start this topic to help other members who were not interested in reading about a cracked windscreen and to highlight this anomaly.

Yet another example of misrepresentation by JLR.

#6 ·
Does anybody have a MY17 HSE with a gloss black Meridian amplifier? Anyone?

Steve

#7 ·
Yes, me. I've just checked mine and its gloss black with diagonal fins. The carpet is a PITA to pull back underneath the floor ventilation outlets as well, and you'll need a long thin something to poke it back under the vents - I used a small spirit level in the end.

#8 ·
Thanks, BF. Yours is a HSE Lux so I expect it has the 825W amp rather than the 380W amp?

S

#9 ·
Yes, it was/is part of the Entertainment Pack

#10 ·
Wasn't the 380 always a LR amp but the speakers had Meridian on them for all models from MY17 on?

#11 ·
The 380w have Meridian on the door speaker covers, and Meridian Surround on the 825w. That is the only visible difference that I can see so far

#12 ·
I've asked Meridian themselves to help me identify what amp I have. I'll report back as soon as I hear back from them.

Gloss black and diagonal cooling fins - as already stated by stownrow above - seems to be the most obvious characteristic, though. Hopefully somebody with a MY17 HSE that does have a Meridian amplifier fitted, will be able to confirm one way or another fairly soon.

Steve

#13 ·
No response from Meridian and no response from LRCRC or my supplying dealer on this so far.

Does anybody - who owns a 17MY HSE - fancy having a quick look under the front passenger seat to see what's lurking underneath? Or are you too scared to find a non-Meridian amp as well? :lol:

It will either be silver/grey or gloss black.

Thanks,

Steve

#15 ·
Thanks Caninecapers!

I think that might be expected in a 16.5MY? Am I right in thinking that the 380W Meridian only became standard on 17MY HSE cars?

Do your speakers have a Meridian badge on them?

Steve

#18 ·
Caninecapers said:
No meridian badge so probably the standard LR system......although it would be nice to know either way!
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not 100% sure but I think the Meridian 380W system was introduced in the 17MY HSE. I agree it would be nice to know. Perhaps somebody has a 16MY sales brochure/price list somewhere?

Steve

#19 ·
Bugginbob said:
I have a 2017 my17 (or so the dealer told me) HSE Black. Silver amp and no meridian badges.
The lack of Meridian badges suggests yours may actually be a 16.5MY as well, BB. The VIN will reveal what MY it really is but I have no idea how to decode that without looking it up somewhere.

Mine does have Meridian badges AND a silver amp which may explain why the stereo sounds so bad. It's supposed to have a Meridian amp. :roll:

Steve

#20 ·
UPDATE

The 10th digit of your car's VIN denotes what model year it is.

E = 2014
F - 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
etc...

Mine is a "H" which indicates it is actually a 17MY, as expected.

Steve

#21 ·
Woolmeister said:
UPDATE

The 10th digit of your car's VIN denotes what model year it is.

E = 2014
F - 2015
G = 2016
H = 2017
etc...

Mine is a "H" which indicates it is actually a 17MY, as expected.

Steve
Ta, mines an H so 17my. There's a few things missing on mine that I expected like the meridian and always on front parking sensors. I'll survive though 😂

#22 ·
MY 17 HSE with silver coloured amp and Meridian badged speakers in the doors.
Ordered 380 Meridian system not sure what I've got.
Anyone know where the sub is placed?

#23 ·
DONE said:
In the boot behind the grating at the side , almost in the wheel well area.

#24 ·
Barnsh said:
DONE said:
In the boot behind the grating at the side , almost in the wheel well area.
Thanks.

#25 ·
@Barnsh,

I have MY19 with Meridian 380Watt 11 speaker + sub option and I really doubt if LR fitted it. Speakers have Meridian logo but I'm still looking for subwoofer. I checked boot space and I cannot find sub there (I can't hear it too - compared to Infinity system from my old car Meridian sounds a bit disappointing in terms of low freqs). Can anyone post a real picture of Meridian subwoofer in 380Watt (11+sub) system ? (I was unlucky even to Google that).

Thanks!
Nalep

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.