Discovery Sport Forum banner

DIY Dashcam Installation !

81K views 125 replies 47 participants last post by  Muddywheels 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, only picked my car last Friday and just a few posts in the "Intro" section, someone asked about how my Dashcam installation went and that it might be of interest to other forum members.
So, I thought I would share my experience with some photo's, here goes !
Firstly, I know a famous national auto services chain offers install for £30 if you buy from them but I really couldn't let them loose on my car and risk any damage no matter how careful their "trained" people are, it wasn't that I am a tight wad.
I didn't fancy the trailing leads to power outlets hence going for hardware using the manufacturers proper kit (in my case a Nextbase 512).
Chose power from the fuse box behind the Glovebox, accessible by removing the plastic cover inside the Glovebox (see pics of access and piggy back fuse supplied with kit) then chose to use fuse number 52 which is a 20 amp outlet for the cigar lighter.
Cable route came out from underneath/behind bottom left hand side of the Glovebox, lifting plastic trim at this junction and then in behind the rubber door seal, this simply lifts by hand and is very flexible with plenty of room behind got the power cable going to the camera, again see pics.
Work the cable up the door seal until you reach the joint between the door pillar and the of lining.
Then, apply gentle pressure to the upper lining and you will be able to push the cable behind the pillar, following around to the upper edge of the windscreen.
Once at this point, the cable can be tucked right up and behind the roof lining and over to the centre plastic module for the rear view mirror etc, again see pics.
For all of the above, start at the Glovebox end but make sure you pull enough cable through to reach where the Dashcam will be mounted, but not too much so that it remains neat.
Then, choose mounting location for the camera holder, mine tucked up neatly into the corner as per pic, making sure it doesn't obstruct view from drivers seat, guidelines in the kit obviously.
Last couple of pics show finished job, all cable hidden, easy route to hide cable without risk to trim etc, very straightforward, the pics have loaded "in reverse" order probably cos this is my first attempt at this lark, hope it is of use !

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I had planned a couple more pics, not realising there was limit of ten but if anyone has specific questions, fire away, it really was a absolute doddle, no tools required either.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I have the same camera as you but thought that the supplied windscreen mount was too long and it restricted my view out of the windscreen. I replaced it with one of these and it's held fast for the last few months without any problems and tucks the camera quite neatly, but not fully, behind the rear view mirror.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iSaddle-Universal-Vehicle-Windshield-Bracket/dp/B00F0IH5P0

The only downside with it is that you don't have the same amount of adjustment as you do with the factory supplied ball mount but it's as good as it needs to be.

#8 ·
Thanks for posting those pictures, makes it a lot easier for a complete novice at this dash cam lark. Can I ask what folk do about their devices when they park up and leave their vehicles, do you leave your cameras in situ or do you remove them out of sight?

#10 ·
Mine is hardwired and records when parked so remains in position

#11 ·
Artel said:
Thanks for posting those pictures, makes it a lot easier for a complete novice at this dash cam lark. Can I ask what folk do about their devices when they park up and leave their vehicles, do you leave your cameras in situ or do you remove them out of sight?
I leave them permanently in both cars. Having the shorter mount as described above makes it less obvious as it's almost tucked away behind the rear view mirror.

#13 ·
I've not heard of anyone stealing a dashcam yet but my last blackvue was very discreet unlike the Thinkware I have now :?

#14 ·
Pooliepete is there a reason why you don't put the suction cup further up, where the black bit of the windshield is? since the arm is quite long it would be more discreet.

#15 ·
mobiuspizza said:
Pooliepete is there a reason why you don't put the suction cup further up, where the black bit of the windshield is? since the arm is quite long it would be more discreet.
That's exactly what I have done and it works perfectly, is fairly discreet and not distracting for the driver

#16 ·
I tried my blackvue and Thinkware high but unable to get GPS for speed camera and map

#17 ·
I was a bit wary about making sure the suction cup was on just the glass rather than higher up where there is a black film of something or other, I didn't want to risk it dropping off any time. To be honest, the camera angle is deceptive and it really isn't obstructive from the normal driving position.

#18 ·
Mine fell off today in the sun and woke the neighbourhood - I can confirm the internal alarm sensors work :oops:

#20 ·
Pooliepete said:
I was a bit wary about making sure the suction cup was on just the glass rather than higher up where there is a black film of something or other, I didn't want to risk it dropping off any time. To be honest, the camera angle is deceptive and it really isn't obstructive from the normal driving position.
I've got. Road hawk HD , left the sticky mount on the Volvo , :( so got a suction mount so I can see if it gets GPS. If it does Ill get another sticky mount for it .
I don't trust the suction ones to stay fixed.
I'll avoid that black bit too !

#21 ·
Muddywheels said:
Mine fell off today in the sun and woke the neighbourhood - I can confirm the internal alarm sensors work :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 ·
Why do LR not give this simple option, when it seems increasingly popular??
Would only cost a few quid, which could be passed on to punters!!

#23 ·
PedroT said:
Why do LR not give this simple option, when it seems increasingly popular??
Would only cost a few quid, which could be passed on to punters!!
That would make so much sense., just another option on the list would do. But I dread to think what price they would attach to it ??

#24 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread, but can you confirm what size of fuses are behind the glovebox ?

We've not got our DS yet, but fitting the dashcam will be the first thing to do so I'd rather have the piggyback fuse holder and fuse ready as, sods law, it will differ from the current one! :)

#25 ·
The fuse box contains a variety of fuse ratings if that's what your question is, or do you mean physical size to get the correct piggy back connector ? In my case, the Nextbase Installation Kit came with a choice of sizes of connectors and it wasn't a problem.

#26 ·
Pooliepete said:
The fuse box contains a variety of fuse ratings if that's what your question is, or do you mean physical size to get the correct piggy back connector ? In my case, the Nextbase Installation Kit came with a choice of sizes of connectors and it wasn't a problem.
Physical fuse size - I already have a dashcam to go into it, but there's three different sizes of piggyback fuse kit and I only kept one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.