Satnav map scaling

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Grimshaw

Satnav map scaling

Post by Grimshaw » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:40 pm

How does one set the default map scale? I find it annoying that when I change the scale using the + and - buttons the map reverts to the initial scale as soon as the picture refreshes. I would like to set the default scale say to half a mile. Can this be done? I have tried all ways without success.

yserman

Re: Satnav map scaling

Post by yserman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Looks like you have "Auto Zoom" enabled. I had to disable this, because it simply does not work as expected.
HSE Lux, Scotia Grey, Black Design Pack, US 2.0l turbo engine

philstix

Post by philstix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:55 pm

That's exactly the problem I had until I turned Auto Zoom off. If I recall there is also an option to set which scale you want the Nav to always be in and then can use + or - to change on the move.

Auto zoom in my book would be you have the Nav set to the scale you want then as you approach a junction/hazard it zooms into it. You negotiate the hazard and then it zooms back to your default scale.
Delivered 14/09/2019 MY2020 HSE in Byron Blue, Electrically Deployable Tow Bar, Keyless Entry, Panoramic Roof & Privacy Glass.
Gone: MY2016 HSE Black in Firenze Red, Electrically Deployable Tow Bar, USBs 1st & 2nd Row & InControl Plus.

Grimshaw

Post by Grimshaw » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks guys. Auto zoom duly switched off. I'll try it on the road tomorrow.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:16 am

Where do I find auto zoom ? Is it on the computer menu or on the satnav itself? I'm still finding my way round all the various settings!! Thanks.
Discovery Sport HSE auto MY16 in Kaikoura Stone with almond interior.
Memory seats, electrically deploy able tow ball, 3rd row aircon for the dog! Privacy glass
Ordered end of June delivered 3 October 2015. Hunters York

philstix

Post by philstix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:03 am

Richie wrote:Where do I find auto zoom ? Is it on the computer menu or on the satnav itself? I'm still finding my way round all the various settings!! Thanks.
From page 172 of the manual:

SETTINGS
Touch the Settings icon on the NAV MENU screen, or on the map screen, to view the following options:
* Speed limit warning. 
Note: When the Speed limit warning feature is in operation, it will only register the official speed limit for the road; it will not register any temporary speed limits (e.g., speed limits for: road works, congestion, fog, etc.). Also, speed limits shown are only accurate up to the last map update. 

* Guidance. See 173, SETTINGS - GUIDANCE. 

* POI list sorting. 

* GPS: Select to set the coordinate format. 

* Map Display Mode: Select to set Day, Night, or Automatic as an option. 

* Map View: Select 2D or 3D. 

* Orientation. 

* Current Street. 

* Auto Zoom.
* Show POI Icons. 

* POI icon list (only available when Show POI 
Icons is selected). 

* TMC Incidents. 

* Speed and Flow. 

* 3D City Models. 

* 3D Landmarks. 

* Digital Terrain Model. 

* Park Areas. 

* Railroads. 

* City Areas. 

* River Names. 

* System Information.
Delivered 14/09/2019 MY2020 HSE in Byron Blue, Electrically Deployable Tow Bar, Keyless Entry, Panoramic Roof & Privacy Glass.
Gone: MY2016 HSE Black in Firenze Red, Electrically Deployable Tow Bar, USBs 1st & 2nd Row & InControl Plus.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:16 am

Thank you!
Discovery Sport HSE auto MY16 in Kaikoura Stone with almond interior.
Memory seats, electrically deploy able tow ball, 3rd row aircon for the dog! Privacy glass
Ordered end of June delivered 3 October 2015. Hunters York

philstix

Post by philstix » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 am

No worries!

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Grimshaw wrote:How does one set the default map scale? I find it annoying that when I change the scale using the + and - buttons the map reverts to the initial scale as soon as the picture refreshes. I would like to set the default scale say to half a mile. Can this be done? I have tried all ways without success.

Turn "autozoom" off. It seems that the function of "autozoom" is to automatically zoom right in to the most zoomed in possbile option and that's all. Useless.

Once you turn that off, it stays zoomed to where-ever you put it. Remember you also have a "next junction" diagram and the "coming up" instructions in the main instrument panel, so I find that most of the time zoomed out to show me about two miles around is best. But at least with autozoom off, YOU get to choose.
---
Loire Blue HSE - pretty much standard. Arrived June '15
(1996 Defender 90 and her SLK share the driveway)

Grimshaw

Post by Grimshaw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Satnav much better on this mornings run out having taken off the auto zoom.. :D