Discovery Sport Forum banner

To Meridian or not Meridian

11K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Dashnine 
#1 ·
Having just checked the spec on our order for a R-Dynamic SE I'm a bit disappointed to see it comes with only the standard stereo system and not the Meridian which we have currently in the RRE. On a test drive we both thought the standard system wasn't up to much and I'm by no means a hi-fi nerd! Did I have a dud car for the test or is it worth the £600 odd for the upgrade to the Meridian which IMHO is perfectly good enough for a car system.
Probably for a different thread button the MY21 builds they've also taken away the option of passenger memory seat no matter, what you pay it's not available!! Seems like a really cheap shot for tech they already have sitting there - excuse the pun!!

#2 ·
If you want your music to sound good

It's simple

Yes. Yes. Yes.

The standard meridian system is pretty good.
The upgraded one with more speakers etc is very good.

#3 ·
Mid range system (I.e. base Meridian) is the best compromise for cost / sound.

#4 ·
If you want decent sounding playback then absolutly yes to the Meridian upgrade.

#6 ·
Thanks all, good to have my initial thought confirmed, standard Meridian system upgrade it is. Why you have to fork out £600 for a decent stereo on a car that's north of £40k is beyond me but there we go - I guess no-one's forcing us to buy these cars right :lol: :D

#7 ·
to be fair.

the standard sound system is ok, and certainly as good as many other brands standard system.
Just the Meridian is very much better

before I went to Linn, I had Meridian 8000 home system. again very decent sound

#8 ·
Just so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, there are three audio systems. The lower Land Rover branded system standard on most models to SE, the mid range Meridian system (on earlier DS this was also LR branded) and the top end Meridian system.

Can't remember the number of speakers and power outputs offhand, something like 6 / 190W, 11 (inc subwoofer) / 380W and 17 (inc subwoofer) / 1200?

#9 ·
Dashnine said:
Just so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, there are three audio systems. The lower Land Rover branded system standard on most models to SE, the mid range Meridian system (on earlier DS this was also LR branded) and the top end Meridian system.

Can't remember the number of speakers and power outputs offhand, something like 6 / 190W, 11 (inc subwoofer) / 380W and 17 (inc subwoofer) / 1200?
Top system is 825w - https://www.meridian-audio.com/media/7951/land-rover-discovery-sport-surround-sound-system-at-a-glance.pdf

#11 ·
Not any more Top system on DS is now 650w & lower Meridian system is 400w, When you compare the Price difference between SE & HSE and the extra spec you're getting, imho it makes the HSE good value, plus come resale time you're likely to see some of the extra outlay back. (The Windsor leather is so much better & an expensive option on the SE)

#12 ·
Honestly, I wouldn't be that fussed about any of them. I've got the HSE with the Meridian system and it sounds kinda ok nothing really all that special and I wouldn't bother paying more for it. The ICTP, or the new Pivi Pro are definately worth it, with the better display and Android Auto, Apple CarPlay.

My other car is an Audi with B&O and that is much much better and well worth paying for. The LandRover one is just alright.

I make these comparisons to a reasonably large Linn/Naim system I have at home, so am used to listening to the differences in different sound systems.

Roy.

#13 ·
Paul41 said:
Not any more Top system on DS is now 650w & lower Meridian system is 400w, When you compare the Price difference between SE & HSE and the extra spec you're getting, imho it makes the HSE good value, plus come resale time you're likely to see some of the extra outlay back. (The Windsor leather is so much better & an expensive option on the SE)
Not according to the LR website, the HSE only comes with the mid range Meridan Sound system at 380W, the 825W Meridian Surround Sound system is 825W and is optional on all models.

#15 ·
Sorry to dig this post up but I have had the 825W Meridian on a new model DS in use for more than year now and my disappointment is huge.

No matter which surround sound programme I use (Dolby Surround, Meridian or DTS), the quality of sound is just horrible. The sound seems to almost exclusively come from the central dashboard speaker, with way too much highs and middles but almost no lows, almost no power basswise, almost nothing to hear or sense from the praised other 10 speakers.

Therefore, I used it in stereo mode for quite some time now, allowing for a bit more power and less overdrive on the highs and middles. But on stereo, the system only uses the main speakers in the doors, creating void in the space of the middle of the car.

Honestly, the sound in whichever mode, appears just weak and unbalanced. The fact that I cannot just work this around with a multi-channel option (allowing the uniform use of all speakers of the system) as you would know it from any AV receiver is driving me crazy.

Plus, there are certain parts/frequency layers within the bass tunes that just do not get reproduced. I have certain reference tracks which I have been using for years to calibrate sound systems at home, in cars, wherever and on the meridian I experience this weird absence of certain lows and basses.

I had the sound system checked by the dealer recently but they claim everything is normal. However, I remember the meridian system from a RR Evoque which I drove once and it was a real treat.

To sum up, I am very disappointed by the meridian system but cannot rule out that there is a fault with mine - happy to hear your opinions and experiences.

#16 ·
From what you say. There is a fault.
I have had 3 cars with the better meridian system.
Each one was excellent. With good stereo separation. From all speakers.

My current ds has the standard meridian. It's ok. But not a patch on the higher powered system.

#18 ·
Basically you can't.

If your not worried about warranty then you'd have the option to upgrade the individual drivers and maybe install sound insulation material in the doors.

#20 ·
No idea.

You won't be able to just install the top Meridian system hence my comments regarding possible upgrades.

#22 ·
Have a read of this, it shows you where all the components are for the different level of systems. You'd basically have to strip the inside of the car out to get to all the various components, even assuming the wiring loom would be compatible. It's not just a head unit swap, amplifiers under seats, etc.

This is for the DS1, I don't think it'd be much different for the DS2 (your SE).

View attachment Infotainment General.pdf

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.