InControl Remote not updating journeys - 'B-Call Run'

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
HmmmUK

InControl Remote not updating journeys - 'B-Call Run'

Post by HmmmUK » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm having more problems with InControl Remote not contacting my vehicle.
I thought I would try posting here to see if anyone can shed any light on things.

I posted over on the RRE forum but know there are always useful posters here :D
https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/threads/incontrol-not-updating-again.16319

I've noticed my InControl Remote (App + website) stopped updating at the end of Jan.
"Vehicle last contacted 30/1/2020 00:19" shows on the phone app and web portal.

This is the reply LR provided.
I've tried the 'B-Call Run' a few times but it hasn't helped.

"I can confirm that the details of your comments have been passed to the InControl Department for further investigation.
They have advised that a B-Call Run will need to be completed to resync the vehicle to the App. Please find the details below.

1. Log out and close down the app completely on your phone.
2. Take the vehicle for a minimum of a 1 mile drive. We often advise to do this on a regular commute.
3. Press and hold the "B-Call" (spanner) button in the overhead console for 15 second
4. Start and load the app once again and log in.

The InControl Department have however confirmed that your vehicle is running an old version of the software (version 3.2) however, the software currently available is version 3.13. This may be the cause the concerns that you are experiencing.
You would need to arrange to contact your local approved retailer for then to update the software.
"

While I decide whether to bother getting my dealer involved or just give up on InControl I thought I would ask a few questions.

See previous posts where I've had problems with v2 of the Android app. Like some others, it's never worked for me. LR said they were retiring the v1 Android app at the start of the year - could this be related? The app is still on Google Play. I guess others only able to use the v1 Android app would be seeing similar problems if it was more widespread.

It's disappointing reading the comments on both Android apps as many people have problems and LR rarely respond to help people - just the one period as far as I can see during last years outage. Others are as frustrated as me with LR's lack of response. Admittedly it's no doubt subbed out to a third-party company, but lack of response still isn't right.

I've seen some previous mentions of the B-Call process here and saw someone only had success after using the roof spanner button to talk to LRA. I've tried this (shows the SIM card is working, etc.) but my InControl lack of connection persists.

Does anyone know how all this hangs together?
I would have thought the vehicle would connect with LR, and the phone app and web portal would also connect to LR to access the data. So I can't see why the B-Call instructions mention logging out of the app? Also why is the drive required? You would think holding the button to re-sync would be all that's required. I guess there's a good reason they ask for this...

LR haven't filled me with confidence when it comes to InControl. I've renewed twice and it's never been particularly smooth.
When most customers had a two week outage last year - LR weren't exactly forthcoming with information!
So part of me thinks the issue could be at their end again.

Also if they are correct in thinking it might be due to old s/w in my LR, how could this happen? LR have always serviced it, so if they've made changes to their service that should have been carried out in conjunction with customers vehicles?

Thanks.
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

tangey

Re: InControl Remote not updating journeys - 'B-Call Run'

Post by tangey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm

My in-control functionality was broke when I picked up the car. It would see/lock/unlock, but climate always returned "window open". Then 4 days later lost all control, car could not be contacted at all. Using either the v1.8 or 2.2 app versions on the ios store made no difference.

Dealer/ LR technical/in-control where all involved and eventually after escalation and 10 days, it was (at least at this time) resolved. Nothing wrong with the car, something in the registration / communications / validation / authorisation system that was faulty. They had a lot of problems deregistering my car from the in-control system, and then major problems getting it to register again. I got about 20 "welcome to in-control" emails over the 10 days as they tried different things.

How the communications works intrigues me too. I don't know why the drive is required. It sounds like something requires the GPS location to change. Or maybe they use that to discount a potential weak/inconsistent 4g signal in the car.

Asking you to log out of the app is likely just a standard, "lets start everything again" decision, in case the app has got itself confused due to the lack of comms.

Finally, 3.2 being older than 3.13 is a rather novel numbering system they have.
MY20 Discovery Sport P250 HSE Portofino with 360 camera, adaptive dampers, configurable dynamics

Previously
Mercedes GLC250D
Volvo XC60

tseug

Post by tseug » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:39 pm

tangey wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:44 pm
How the communications works intrigues me too. I don't know why the drive is required. It sounds like something requires the GPS location to change. Or maybe they use that to discount a potential weak/inconsistent 4g signal in the car.

Asking you to log out of the app is likely just a standard, "lets start everything again" decision, in case the app has got itself confused due to the lack of comms.

Finally, 3.2 being older than 3.13 is a rather novel numbering system they have.
I think you mght be right about the GPS.....not necessarily changing but position updating. I haven't driven anywhere today but I did switch the ignition on to put music on whilst I cleaned the mud off the back seats. Just opened the app and it has changed to show when everything would have initialised today rather than when the car was last driven. It certainly didn't need to be driven or to have actuually moved.

Fairly common to use normal decimal numbering after the point release. It's a shame there isn't a standard for such things so we'd actually know if they knew!

As for version being an older one on the vehicle and whether that should have been addressed when LR last had it....not sure...Had mine serviced a month ago and there is an outstanding item on TOPIX (not a paid subscriber so i don't know the actual detail). I asked about that and was told that it wouldn't be done as there was an embargo on the update. When I collected the car I was told that some updates had been done as some minor things were out of sync. Whatever the 'bigger' one was still hasn't been done.

So far both droid versions are still working for me. I have no actual use for it so rarely bother looking. When I do, the older one actually updates more quickly.
MY2018, D240, HSE Dynamic, Indus Silver, ICTP S19C_19.46.4-, Map 08.030.0104.0157

tangey

Post by tangey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:25 am

tseug wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:39 pm

Fairly common to use normal decimal numbering after the point release. It's a shame there isn't a standard for such things so we'd actually know if they knew!
In the software industry the convention is 3.2 is always more recent than 3.1x. So 3.1 gets an slight update to 3.11, 3.12 etc. Next significant update would be 3.2. So my reading is that 3.13 would be older than 3.2, but this is JLR, so who knows !
MY20 Discovery Sport P250 HSE Portofino with 360 camera, adaptive dampers, configurable dynamics

Previously
Mercedes GLC250D
Volvo XC60

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:46 am

Speaking as a software engineer, 3.13 is newer than 3.2 because 13 is bigger than 2.
3.1.3 is older than 13.2

E.g. I am using macOS 10.15.3 (released in 2020) which is newer than 10.2.3 (released in 2003).

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:45 am

I'm still talking to the InControl people at LR via their CE people...

They've just said I'll need the TCU to be replaced rather than the previous s/w upgrade :?
They can't tell me if that's covered by my extended LR warranty as that's different people.

They also said the last time the vehicle contacted LR was last September!?
Doesn't fill me with confidence. Everything was fine up to 15 days ago and that's the date the app and web portal says it last contacted LR.
So they are either looking at someone else's account or the system is just showing how flaky it is...

I think I'll give up with InControl for the time being and perhaps get them to look at it when it's in for a service in the summer - assuming the warranty covers things.

#LRAlwaysConnected
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.

tangey

Post by tangey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:40 pm

sandbox wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:46 am
Speaking as a software engineer, 3.13 is newer than 3.2 because 13 is bigger than 2.
3.1.3 is older than 13.2

E.g. I am using macOS 10.15.3 (released in 2020) which is newer than 10.2.3 (released in 2003).
Anybody, apple included, still using the same major release number for 17 years (10.) needs their head looked at.

Previously
Mercedes GLC250D
Volvo XC60

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:10 pm

If the vehicle is only failing to show recorded journeys, yet displays everything else, fuel level/location/lock status etc, then it is nothing to do with a 'telematics control unit', and everything to do with a synchronisation issue with their servers.

As usual, clueless JLR people front of house trying to fob customers off with a "let's try and change this and see" attitude.

My suggestion would to be delete the vehicle from the associated InControl account completely, then re-add it back to your existing account. Your retailer will be able to help you with this if you don't know how to do it yourself, and no appointment is necessary, so again, don't let them tell you otherwise,and neither is it chargeable!

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks for that Sarah.
No, for the last 15 days it's failed to update anything/everything.

LRCE have just told me to ignore the timestamps and that it needs a new TCU! (after previously saying it might be a s/w version issue)
But they can't help on the LR warranty front as that's not them...

I'm still able to use the roof spanner button to talk with LR - if the TCU was duff, would you expect that to work?

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:52 pm

I repeat, you are being fobbed off by someone that is purely "guessing" over the telephone.

It is impossible to diagnose a fault over the line like this - the vehicle needs hooking up to the relevant diagnostic equipment, and even then may not report the true extent of the problem(s). The information that you are being provided with is not only most probably incorrect but irresponsible for the representative to be offering in the first instance.

Get the vehicle interrogated correctly to begin with. If it's proven to be a hardware fault and you are out of warranty, insist that a case is opened centrally, a case number and case manager assigned and the official diagnostic and repair is carried out under goodwill.

Assuming that you are in the UK, then your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act apply - irrespective of when the warranty expired. Plenty of information on this forum about that if you look for it.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”