CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
guthrie

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by guthrie » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:39 am

discomickey wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:10 pm
Has anyone managed to get hold of any firmware updates for their AliExpress box?
Ive got one of the unbranded AliExpress versions - Im happy with the units performance. I think its too much of a risk to put an unknown software update onto the unit just incase I brick it...

Navtom

Post by Navtom » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi,

Good evening,
Can you tell me if these systems have full control by the steering wheel control buttons?

Karper

Post by Karper » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:10 pm

ikennethj wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:10 am
An update was released on 05 June 2020 to resolve an issue when a iMessage/Whatsapp comes in and when you touch the arrow (before it clears), nothing happens.
My system still runs the firmware it came with and I had this issue, however upon updating to the iOS 14 beta it appears to work correctly now.
Navtom wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 pm
Can you tell me if these systems have full control by the steering wheel control buttons?
Only volume up/down.

Karper

Post by Karper » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Update on iOS 14 beta, it seems to not be reliable in connecting. I have only done about 4 trips with it but on 2 of them it wouldn’t connect and show CarPlay. This has maybe happened once or twice over a few dozen trips previously. Might be a coincidence but I will update here if things change.

discomickey

Post by discomickey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello.

Installed the AliExpress device this weekend and everything seems to be fine except (like a lot of other people on the forum) the only thing that doesn’t work is the reverse camera when in CarPlay mode.

I have to go back into the original land rover interface for that to work which is annoying.

My car is an early (March 2016) Discovery Sport with 8” Harman InControl Touch Screen.

The jumpers on the box are set to 2 ON and 8 ON, all others are OFF. I have also tried jumper 1 ON and 8 ON but the screen was blank on boot.

Given the camera works in original LR mode and is therefore being passed through the wiring harness via the CarPlay device I am wondering if a firmware update might fix it. I have messaged the AliExpress store to see if they have any suggestions.
Early 2016 Discovery Sport SE Tech Indus Silver

discomickey

Post by discomickey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Spoke too soon....

Took the car out for a longer test drive to check everything working. I’m also having the issue with sound dropping out intermittently every 60 secs or so for 30 secs. Very annoying.

My camera and sound issues seem to be symptomatic of late 2015 / early 2016 models.

Installation was a bit of a pain so not really looking forward to opening it all up again....😕😕😕

The wife also not happy.

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 am

discomickey wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:02 pm
Spoke too soon....

Took the car out for a longer test drive to check everything working. I’m also having the issue with sound dropping out intermittently every 60 secs or so for 30 secs. Very annoying.

My camera and sound issues seem to be symptomatic of late 2015 / early 2016 models.

Installation was a bit of a pain so not really looking forward to opening it all up again....😕😕😕

The wife also not happy.
Sorry to hear that ... it seems you are having the same issues I had. You need to try and reach out to the seller to get the right wire loom. Don't mean to rub salt in your wound but once you can sort it out, the system is actually amazing!

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:07 am

Karper wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Update on iOS 14 beta, it seems to not be reliable in connecting. I have only done about 4 trips with it but on 2 of them it wouldn’t connect and show CarPlay. This has maybe happened once or twice over a few dozen trips previously. Might be a coincidence but I will update here if things change.
oooo .... this is concerning ...

1. have you tried to pair and re-pair the phone with the unit?
2. is yours a AliExpress version or a UA version?

Let's hope its a beta thing as I have been assured all this while that the unit is just a mirror ... (CarPlay) software is still driven by the phone ... fingers crossed. Do keep us updated

Karper

Post by Karper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm

ikennethj wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:07 am
oooo .... this is concerning ...

1. have you tried to pair and re-pair the phone with the unit?
2. is yours a AliExpress version or a UA version?

Let's hope its a beta thing as I have been assured all this while that the unit is just a mirror ... (CarPlay) software is still driven by the phone ... fingers crossed. Do keep us updated
I haven't tried repairing. I haven't used my car that much but I believe I still have about a 50% rate of it working. I think it does seem to connect via bluetooth in some way when it's not working but I'm not sure on WiFi. I'll give paring another go when I use it next.
It's from AliExpress, I would assume it's just an issue of the beta for now, but let's see as it gets closer to release later this year.

discomickey

Post by discomickey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Sorry to hear that ... it seems you are having the same issues I had. You need to try and reach out to the seller to get the right wire loom. Don't mean to rub salt in your wound but once you can sort it out, the system is actually amazing!
Thanks ikennethj - to be fair to the AliExpress store (CarSight) they have been quite responsive and asked me to provide some videos of the issue. Have moved the conversation over to WhatsApp to try and diagnose and fix the issues there. The time difference with China is obviously a bit challenging! On my next exchange with them, I will ask them about a different wiring loom and see if that rings any bells with them! :D

To be honest I am amazed the thing works at all! :-) It's definitely showing real potential to improve the entertainment and navigation experience over the old LR interface despite the issues I'm experiencing.

At the end of the day, you have to expect some teething issues with this sort of thing. Hopefully worth it in the end!